Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Thumbs down Court of Angels IS going to Yesterland

• Indiana Scott

Re: Court of Angels IS going to Yesterland

So very sad.

If you look at what Walt Disney intended when he designed New Orleans Square, the Court of Angels was always supposed to be part of the private club. Walt wanted to create a Speakeasy complex that would include a steakhouse, Club 33, a big lounge, and his private apartment built over Pirates of the Caribbean (which is now the Disney Dream Suite). If Walt had not died when he did then Court of Angels would have never been open to the public at all...and the more grande plans would have been put into construction for the much larger Club 33 decades ago.

I think it's great that Walt's original plans are finally being realized. I'll never be a member of Club 33 but it's a big dream of mine to one day get to eat there...and expanding the club on the grande level they seem to be doing just makes it that much more special for me to dream of one day setting foot inside the Club.

I read on DisneyDose that they are going to be adding some kind of stained glass wall or "doors" to Court of Angels. Wonder if the stained glass will have a Princess and the Frog theme and become a meet and greet area for Princess Tiana. That stained glass could be a neat backdrop for photos with her.

• Closed Account

Glad I am able to say, "Disneyland, I knew you when..."

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    If you look at what Walt Disney intended when he designed New Orleans Square, the Court of Angels was always supposed to be part of the private club. Walt wanted to create a Speakeasy complex that would include a steakhouse, Club 33, a big lounge, and his private apartment built over Pirates of the Caribbean (which is now the Disney Dream Suite). If Walt had not died when he did then Court of Angels would have never been open to the public at all...and the more grande plans would have been put into construction for the much larger Club 33 decades ago.

I think it's great that Walt's original plans are finally being realized. I'll never be a member of Club 33 but it's a big dream of mine to one day get to eat there...and expanding the club on the grande level they seem to be doing just makes it that much more special for me to dream of one day setting foot inside the Club.

I read on DisneyDose that they are going to be adding some kind of stained glass wall or "doors" to Court of Angels. Wonder if the stained glass will have a Princess and the Frog theme and become a meet and greet area for Princess Tiana. That stained glass could be a neat backdrop for photos with her.
    I'm sorry to say that this sounds like something a Disney suit would say to justify a change NOBODY wants.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    I think it's great that Walt's original plans are finally being realized.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Walt's plans for NOS were pretty much set in stone YEARS before it opened, and YEARS before his death. As such, NOS--as it was--in all likelihood was as he intended.

If there are any nice, non-commercialized corners of DL left, enjoy then while you can.

Colglazier is a guy who has been promoted for increasing profits by diminishing the quality of the existing park experience (for the general park-goer). One way has been by taking something everyone enjoys and screwing it up by installing unnecessary add-ons that only a few experience.

Look no further than Wild Africa Trek at DAK: Sort of neat for those who pay extra to experience it (aside from contracting hoof and mouth), but it adds a lot of man-made visual clutter to what is ostensibly "wild Africa." For those riding the regular Kilimanjaro Safaris, you now see a lot more metal fences, new roads, buildings, pick-up trucks ferrying WDW tourists, etc. in what was once a pretty convincing replica of the African wilderness.

The question becomes are the relatively minor pops in profits from things like Africa Trek or wringing more out of Club 33 worth making the parks in general less appealing/special/attractive (degree by degree, it adds up).
    Last edited by RandySavage; 09-12-2013 at 08:55 AM.

I have the memories of it. I rarely went in there, though, so I really don't have anything to complain about.

•   
    • Minion

I don't mind changes but ones like this annoy me. maybe they can add a super lavish entrance on TSI with a tunnel over to club 33 also.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    If there are any nice, non-commercialized corners of DL left, enjoy then while you can.

Colglazier is a guy who has been promoted for increasing profits by diminishing the quality of the existing park experience (for the general park-goer). One way has been by taking something everyone enjoys and screwing it up by installing unnecessary add-ons that only a few experience....
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Glad I am able to say, "Disneyland, I knew you when..."
    Yep. Welcome to Disney Parks -- "When beancounters talk, heritage walks."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

It is very sad to find that these are not just rumors, but I am not surprised. I am very disappointed in the Disney higher-ups who did this. Who thought it would be a good idea for the guy in charge of the worst Disney park in the states to come run Disneyland?? Terrible.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    ...Who thought it would be a good idea for the guy in charge of the worst Disney park in the states to come run Disneyland??
    Guys like Colglazier's boss, Tom Staggs (President of Disney Parks & Resorts, who before that was Michael Eisner's longtime Chief Financial Officer), and his boss, Bob Iger, Eisner's longtime lieutenant.

As has been evident for the past two decades, the Disney corporate nuts don't fall far from the tree.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-12-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

This is really not that big fo a deal. While many of us have visited the spot it's not really a dealbreaker for disneyland or NoS. It's a nice little quite spot that's being utilized to make a more comprehensive and exclusive area. Sounds like a win to me, but then again i’m pretty positive about the parks and the inevitable change necessary from preventing disneyland becoming a museum.

• Closed Account

Being a museum does NOT dictate closing off WHOLE PUBLIC AREAS to something maybe 40-50 ppl will enjoy.

• Closed Account

..........and to think Colglazier is presiding over the 60th. LORD. We're looking at the 45th Anniversary The Sequel.

Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast