Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Rant about various Disney Issues

So after reading some of the updates, and based on my experiences as of late, I have several things I need to get off my chest.

MUCH NEEDED REFURBS

I'm really excited about the refurb at Big Thunder, and was pleased with the updates to Matterhorn recently (minus those awful trains). However, Disney has more refurbs that are desperately needed. While I appreciate the recent tiny updates they've been trying to make at Indy, the WHOLE attraction needs a massive refreshment that addresses all the broken effects. A similar update is needed to fix the Animatronics at Splash. What's the point of boasting such a large collection of Animatronics when half of them don't work? Do they need to hire more maintenance personnel?

DCA and Halloweentime

Ok, this concerns me: they have no Halloween offerings slated for DCA. I could understand not doing anything last year, with it being DCA's first Halloween as its new self, but there's no excuse this year. I thought we were beyond the "ignore DCA" stage of things. Couldn't they do spooky music and lighting at Screamin' or maybe even some cute fall overlay on Buena Vista Street? Instead, they're just "enhancing" the Mad T party and probably taking over the Muppet theater with yet another movie preview again. That's another thing: If they're going to close Muppets, they should just close it. I love the show, but it needs to be updated or closed...It will save them some money.

New Attractions

Ok, ok.....So we just got Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, yada, yada yada... But shouldn't Disney be trying to make the Disneyland Resort more competitive? Why is Disney not ANNOUNCING anything? There's all of these potential ideas being thrown around (i.e. Star Wars Land, Iron Man attraction, removing Autopia, Monstropolis), but there's no ACTION. Universal is definitely putting in Harry Potter (which is more relevant to the modern generation than 60 year old Disney films/attractions). It just astounds me that Disney is still gouging their prices, but doesn't bring in anything new. Tomorrowland is definitely in need of a fix, Fantasyland needs some TLC...Heck, we're all waiting for an announcement about the elusive third gate! Disney can't even address the issue of parking!

Come on Disney, let's get it together. Stop focusing on movie-centered attractions and bring in some INNOVATION.

End of my rant...Wow, I feel better now...

• -

Re: A Rant about various Disney Issues

Quote Originally Posted by SoarinMatt View Post
    That's another thing: If they're going to close Muppets, they should just close it. I love the show, but it needs to be updated or closed...It will save them some money.
    Why would anyone want a shuttered attraction in the park? Wouldn’t it be better to run it until a replacement is ready to be put in? It serves no purpose having a closed up building in the park when it could serve as another attraction for people to see. If some feel they have seen it too many times already, don’t go in again until something new comes in. What is the harm of running it for those who want to see it still?
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

How competitive does it need to be? Last time I checked, they have the highest AP and ticket prices because there is a high demand for the park.

Also, I don't really think it's in "desperate" need of refurbs or new attractions. The park is a destination for people who can only afford to go once in their lifetime. It doesn't need a constant change up and many of us who do go once or twice a month love being able to ride the same rides we did as kids.

Nothing is perfect but I love the park the way it is. I hope DCA keeps developing but Disneyland is wonderful. It's always clean, the paint on the buildings is always fresh and the attractions accommodate all ages.
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

• Banned User

The prices of disneyland resort tickets are based on the amount of offerings available. If one takes an honest look at what there is to do (attractions, shows, characters, etc) the basic ticket prince is more than a reasonable value, especially considering the amount of money that disney pours into the parks by way of refurbishments, re-imagined attractions, new attractions and offerings and basic maintenance of the park, which disney is second to none. For the amount of people that visit the parks, they hold up surprisingly well with expected wear and tare of course.

Since the 50th, management has done an amazing job of continually giving attention to the sparkle and shine of the parks despite hordes of people, many who show little respect for keeping them beautiful. The horticulture at Disneyland is unparalleled, and neither west nor east coast non-disney parks can rival disneyís attention to upkeep of basic esthetics like paint.

Now i do agree that some of disneyís bigger attractions arenít operating at peak efficiency. I donít understand how so many details can be overlooked, but then again i have no idea what actually goes into the ins and outs of keeping these massively complex rides working or the impact of having one down for extensive refurbishment.

Overall the parks holiday offerings are more than expected and in my personal opinion am glad that the Halloweenfest has been pulled from DCA. For those of us who do not celebrate these holidays, they can be quite invasive and overwhelming.

I love disneyland and its value is unbeatable. An entire days (from dawn till after dusk) entertainment for $92....there isnít really anything that compares. Movies only last about 90 minutes and prices have gotten as high as $15-20. If you really break it down, what you are getting in exchange far outweighs the price, not to mention those of us who have Annual Passes.

I think itís all about perspective.

I think I might just be bitter because they've raised the AP prices so much that I can no longer afford to have an AP. They did exactly what they wanted to: they kept a local out of the park.

• Banned User

I'm pretty sure that's not what "they" want. They want to create completive pricing that continues to earn profits, which seems to be working. I don't see people NOT coming to the parks or NOT buying AP's. There are some who can't afford the luxry of visiting the park multiple times a year, or even yearly but that doesn't make disney some sort of evil corporate machine for doing what a company (especially one owned by stock holders) is suppose to do.

I think I might just be bitter because they've raised the AP prices so much that I can no longer afford to have an AP. They did exactly what they wanted to: they kept a local out of the park.
    I think I read somewhere that on a typical day, 80% of guests are AP holders. Considering the price of a single ticket, the AP is extremely reasonable. Disneyland has had to find a sweet spot for tickets that make them profitable while getting people to pay. It seems to be working.
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

Disney has driven me away, in large part. I just had one day in the parks, but my last visit was January and I let my AP lapse. Not because I couldn't afford it, I can, but because it wasn't as much fun. Everything's scripted, everything is an upcharge, and I wasn't enjoying my time.

Not sure what they think about locals, but this is one local who has stopped going. At least for a while. I may get an AP again at some point in the future, but probably won't hold it for years at a time like I had done.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Disneyland Dreamer

If I was local, I'd totally get an AP for the entire family. The cost (for someone who is out of state and only gets maybe one trip per year or every other year) seems like an absolute STEAL for anybody who is local.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    If I was local, I'd totally get an AP for the entire family. The cost (for someone who is out of state and only gets maybe one trip per year or every other year) seems like an absolute STEAL for anybody who is local.
    The variety of options makes it less of an immediate win for Disney. I've taken the last two years off my Disney AP mainly because I'd not been to USH for well over two decades and my return trip impressed me greatly... and THEN they announced WWHOP, I felt the barbs sink in and they caught me. Broken down by cost, the Universal AP starts at $84 - less than a third the price of the equivalent level of Disney AP. The USH *Premium* pass, top of the line offering, costs less than the lowest level of Disney AP and clocks in at a bit over a quarter of the Disney equivalent.

As a local, with the VERY different priorities a local has, it wasn't even a hard choice. I mean, Transformers.

Disney's still got a very special and (in the market) mostly unique experience for the pricing they charge, but with the pace of additions and all I'm more interested in picking up APs at different parks over the years to vary the experience. I'm hoping next year for Knott's.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Evil is Sexy

However, Disney has more refurbs that are desperately needed. While I appreciate the recent tiny updates they've been trying to make at Indy, the WHOLE attraction needs a massive refreshment that addresses all the broken effects.
    Indiana Jones just had a refurbishment at the end of 2012. As far as I know, the only effect still not working is the rats. Everything else has been to notch, even the vehicles are back to having their own personalities.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

So after reading some of the updates, and based on my experiences as of late, I have several things I need to get off my chest.

MUCH NEEDED REFURBS

I'm really excited about the refurb at Big Thunder, and was pleased with the updates to Matterhorn recently (minus those awful trains). However, Disney has more refurbs that are desperately needed. While I appreciate the recent tiny updates they've been trying to make at Indy, the WHOLE attraction needs a massive refreshment that addresses all the broken effects. A similar update is needed to fix the Animatronics at Splash. What's the point of boasting such a large collection of Animatronics when half of them don't work? Do they need to hire more maintenance personnel?

DCA and Halloweentime

Ok, this concerns me: they have no Halloween offerings slated for DCA. I could understand not doing anything last year, with it being DCA's first Halloween as its new self, but there's no excuse this year. I thought we were beyond the "ignore DCA" stage of things. Couldn't they do spooky music and lighting at Screamin' or maybe even some cute fall overlay on Buena Vista Street? Instead, they're just "enhancing" the Mad T party and probably taking over the Muppet theater with yet another movie preview again. That's another thing: If they're going to close Muppets, they should just close it. I love the show, but it needs to be updated or closed...It will save them some money.

New Attractions

Ok, ok.....So we just got Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, yada, yada yada... But shouldn't Disney be trying to make the Disneyland Resort more competitive? Why is Disney not ANNOUNCING anything? There's all of these potential ideas being thrown around (i.e. Star Wars Land, Iron Man attraction, removing Autopia, Monstropolis), but there's no ACTION. Universal is definitely putting in Harry Potter (which is more relevant to the modern generation than 60 year old Disney films/attractions). It just astounds me that Disney is still gouging their prices, but doesn't bring in anything new. Tomorrowland is definitely in need of a fix, Fantasyland needs some TLC...Heck, we're all waiting for an announcement about the elusive third gate! Disney can't even address the issue of parking!

Come on Disney, let's get it together. Stop focusing on movie-centered attractions and bring in some INNOVATION.

End of my rant...Wow, I feel better now...
    I agree. We are paying a premium price and should get a premium show. If attractions are down for part of the day or the full day, do we get a price break off our ticket price? There are no reasons that animatronics or effects on rides should take days or weeks to fix. It seems some of us have decided to "look the other way" and say "Well I'm still getting my money's worth" and yes that may be true especially to the local residents who can visit more frequently than us out of towners. To me, Disney used to mean value and quality, but now it's greed and shortcuts.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Everything's scripted, everything is an upcharge, and I wasn't enjoying my time.
    Other than the Halloween parties, what is else is an upcharge? Entrance and all rides and shows are inclusive with the price of the pass.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Indiana Jones just had a refurbishment at the end of 2012. As far as I know, the only effect still not working is the rats. Everything else has been to notch, even the vehicles are back to having their own personalities.
    I had a hunch they were, as far as effects not working weather the doors open and close are hit and miss.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Down Pluto!

DCA and Halloweentime

Ok, this concerns me: they have no Halloween offerings slated for DCA. I could understand not doing anything last year, with it being DCA's first Halloween as its new self, but there's no excuse this year...
    Except that DL is so at the bottom of the deep end with Halloween offerings, that for those of us who don't particularly enjoy being boiled alive in Halloween can have a reasonable chance to spend a few hours away from all the black and orange. I support keeping Halloween at an absolute minimum at DCA.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast