Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Haunted Mansion Holiday - New Effects!

Didn't they say there would be 13 new things added to the ride too? Also isn't Zero suppose to have been added to one room

So cool! I was contemplating on watching it or not because I didn't want to spoil it before my trip.

But I'm excited to see this in person next weekend!

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

For those who may poo-poo projection effects... an overlay is EXACTLY where they belong! Easy, quick, effective and (best of all) less intrusive than a physical effect. No need to replace the physical skeletal Ghost Host with a physical Jack (and have to reverse the process in January/February) when you can use a projection.

Any overlay improvements that quicken the time it takes to do the changeover is a good thing in my eyes.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    For those who may poo-poo projection effects... an overlay is EXACTLY where they belong! Easy, quick, effective and (best of all) less intrusive than a physical effect. No need to replace the physical skeletal Ghost Host with a physical Jack (and have to reverse the process in January/February) when you can use a projection.

Any overlay improvements that quicken the time it takes to do the changeover is a good thing in my eyes.
    I agree that projections make particular sense for temporary overlays, I just don't necessarily agree that an easy, quick addition is necessarily better than no addition at all. It depends entirely on whether the added effect actually improves the experience. One of the dangers with overlays on any ride is that, due to their portability, the additions sometimes feel cheap compared to the ride they're laid over, so it's very important to make sure the quality is up to snuff. I really am looking forward to seeing this for myself.

• Minion

I can't get excited about CGI projection effects anymore, I just can't. It's lazy, there is no mystique behind it, everyone and their brother knows that it's just a CGI animation. There is no "Oooh, how'd they do that?" as there is with things like the busts that follow you in the portrait hall. Oldest damn trick in the book but still incredibly effective.

But anyway, yeah. Woo hoo.

• Minion

It's been a crazy morning here at the Mansion already! Scientific Systems and Disneyland Entertainment has been working through some technical issues with the projections and we've had hassles keeping both Stretch Rooms running at the same time, which means we're running at half capacity occasionally and the lines are getting long.

Already at 45 minutes wait here in early afternoon, and the parks are still very empty attendance-wise. The attendance will skyrocket by 30K+ after 5PM today due to all the APs coming in after work (and not car pooling and maxing out every parking space the Resort has, but that's another story).

The lines should be crazy tonight, so bring your patience if you want to see the new Haunted Mansion Holiday!

I'm going to miss that giant jack skellington head. It was one of the best parts of the makeover.

There are some areas where projection can be made awesome, but to me this isn't one of them.

• I'm a Lutheran

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but in the Dateline Disneyland pics, the hanging man is up there still.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    I can't get excited about CGI projection effects anymore, I just can't. It's lazy, there is no mystique behind it, everyone and their brother knows that it's just a CGI animation. There is no "Oooh, how'd they do that?" as there is with things like the busts that follow you in the portrait hall. Oldest damn trick in the book but still incredibly effective.

I agree.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I think it looks great. It looks like projection technology is only getting better and it would be dumb to not use it for things like this. I think it only betters the experience.
    It's also a clever way to keep the hanging corpse of the Ghost Host up there as a tie-back to the classic Mansion. The old Jack head really was kind of stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but in the Dateline Disneyland pics, the hanging man is up there still.
    So?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JM Disneyland View Post
    I'm going to miss that giant jack skellington head. It was one of the best parts of the makeover.

There are some areas where projection can be made awesome, but to me this isn't one of them.
    A giant plastic head with a strobe light effect to make it talk was the best part of the makeover? To me the best part is the hallway scene with the wreath and flowers. Amazing.
    Jeff Wayne

• Evil is Sexy

Inside The Magic posted a video of the new Zero effects in the Portrait Gallery.

Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    It's also a clever way to keep the hanging corpse of the Ghost Host up there as a tie-back to the classic Mansion. The old Jack head really was kind of stupid.
    I wouldn't say stupid... More like pointless, now that this new effect is in place. The old Jack head never actually laughed along with the track. The new effect works much better with the track.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I wouldn't say stupid... More like pointless, now that this new effect is in place. The old Jack head never actually laughed along with the track. The new effect works much better with the track.
    The old effect was kind-of cheesy and really did not make much sense context-wise. Jack's oversized head randomly appearing on the ceiling why?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast