Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: Haunted Mansion Holiday - New Effects!

Looks neat, lot less jarring and awkward than the giant face in the ceiling if you ask me.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    The old effect was kind-of cheesy and really did not make much sense context-wise. Jack's oversized head randomly appearing on the ceiling why?
    It wasn't random. Jack greets guests shouting "Happy Holidays, everyone!".... What would it have looked like if Jack greeted us with no sign of him?
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    It wasn't random. Jack greets guests shouting "Happy Holidays, everyone!".... What would it have looked like if Jack greeted us with no sign of him?
    At least for me, the randomness wasn't so much in why he would appear at this point, but rather in that his head would suddenly be twenty feet wide and on the ceiling.

• Here we goooooo!

I always thought the large Jack face was reminiscent of in the film, when Sandy Claws looks out of the bag, dizzy, seeing Halloweentown for the first time, and Jack leans in (hs face filling the screen) saying "Surprised, aren't you?!" I thought they might be trying to catch that moment.

also, Judging by the vocal reactions of the crowd when the ceiling shatters...it's a pretty good effect! Even the guy filming it says something and jumps a little.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by CDW View Post
    At least for me, the randomness wasn't so much in why he would appear at this point, but rather in that his head would suddenly be twenty feet wide and on the ceiling.
    ^
    This

Quote Originally Posted by michael darling View Post
    I always thought the large Jack face was reminiscent of in the film, when Sandy Claws looks out of the bag, dizzy, seeing Halloweentown for the first time, and Jack leans in (hs face filling the screen) saying "Surprised, aren't you?!" I thought they might be trying to catch that moment.
    I wouldn't disagree with you, and it seems like the new effect is even more explicitly harkening back to that, but in either case I have trouble with merely reproducing the visual when the context (i.e., the scale, in this situation) doesn't make any sense.

• The doctor is in

I've watched the video of the new stretching room effect about 10 times already. I love it.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Minion

I love the stop-motion quality to the animation.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

If you want to know, the gingerbread house tastes like it smells The animatronics always have a party there when Halloween comes! If you want to know what happened to me, Esmeralda, and Shrunken Ned there 2 years ago, click on the link "After Hours" and check it out!
    -> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

I found these videos online that show the ride in MUCH higher quality and great low light performance. I love when Disney transforms the Mansion.

Full Queue & Ride of Haunted Mansion Holiday
    http://youtu.be/WaTU0_VP31A

Video of Just the Projection Effects (Stretching Room)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVPhLFnyeo

Video of just the new Portraits and Zero jumping through them
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXkbbI5b2-w

Thanks,
    Dan

Ps. Is there a way to embed these videos directly in the post like the first post?

Quote Originally Posted by DanMcNeely View Post
    I found these videos online that show the ride in MUCH higher quality and great low light performance. I love when Disney transforms the Mansion.

Full Queue & Ride of Haunted Mansion Holiday
    Haunted Mansion Holiday 2013 (Full Ride & Queue HD POV) - Disneyland Resort California - YouTube

Video of Just the Projection Effects (Stretching Room)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVPhLFnyeo

Video of just the new Portraits and Zero jumping through them
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXkbbI5b2-w

This video really shows the details much better than the other! Thanks for posting!

I'm very impressed with this change. It looks FANTASTIC! I always hated the big Jack head looking down and missed the hanging corpse. This feels more Halloween to me.

• No Disassemble!

Although I love the new addition to the stretching room I think that they could have done more for this occasion than the three things they did. Although laser projectors are flashy and impressive they still overall are very cost effective upgrades. I would have expected the props to be rearranged this year and scenes to be re-themed to a more "happy 13th" party atmosphere. The seance room was a big missed opportunity this year in my opinion. After all, where's all our Halloween party admission going to if not towards the improvement of it's premier attractions.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    It seems that projection-based effect are now the things at all Disney Parks.
    Does seem that theme parks have jumped on this band wagon...not sure I'm all aboard.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    For those who may poo-poo projection effects... an overlay is EXACTLY where they belong! Easy, quick, effective and (best of all) less intrusive than a physical effect. No need to replace the physical skeletal Ghost Host with a physical Jack (and have to reverse the process in January/February) when you can use a projection.

Any overlay improvements that quicken the time it takes to do the changeover is a good thing in my eyes.
    I agree it's best for the overlay
    and hopefully not going to be a regular fixture for the ride.

I'm also not a fan of zero invading the "portraits".
    They are "portraits" so a moving video object takes away that effect.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    I can't get excited about CGI projection effects anymore, I just can't. It's lazy, there is no mystique behind it, everyone and their brother knows that it's just a CGI animation. There is no "Oooh, how'd they do that?" as there is with things like the busts that follow you in the portrait hall. Oldest damn trick in the book but still incredibly effective.

But anyway, yeah. Woo hoo.
    agreed
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast