Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: River Belle Terrace to Get New Menu. Mickey Mouse Pancakes Will Be Removed

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    This is quite an unexpected move by Disney. Can you tell us any reason why Disney decided to get rid of the Mickey pancakes? Are the Mickey pancakes going to be made elsewhere in the Parks?
    If you step into River belle during non-breakfast, you'll realize how completely dead it is. It doesn't help that all the food is extremely pricey (14.02 for a sandwich after tax). The new menu is trying to appeal to more people and make it a family dinner location. Not only has breakfast changed, but dinner plates and lunches have been added.

I asked about the pancakes during the menu training, and was told there isn't a plan to sell them elsewhere. Remember, many things can change and Disney can move them elsewhere.

IF this rumour is true, yes aside from the one time trip to Flo's Diner there no longer really is much of a reason personally to eat breakfast in the park. The pancakes combined with the ambiance of the space really made it for me.

Furthermore, this just seems to be another mark against the Michael Colglazier tenure as head of the park. I know decisions like this and the change in Court of Angels are planned well in advance and at times well beneath his level, however all of these strange decisions are getting the go ahead under his new watch. Makes me a little concerned over what comes next....

• Selfie Expert

I keep hearing every decision is to maximize profits, but I can guarantee that pancakes are a profit maximizer. Any restaurant owner (my dad being a former one) can tell you pancakes, pasta, and pizza are where the greatest margins are at. A really confusing decision, in my opinion.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by dreamrod View Post
    If you step into River belle during non-breakfast, you'll realize how completely dead it is. It doesn't help that all the food is extremely pricey (14.02 for a sandwich after tax). The new menu is trying to appeal to more people and make it a family dinner location. Not only has breakfast changed, but dinner plates and lunches have been added.

I asked about the pancakes during the menu training, and was told there isn't a plan to sell them elsewhere. Remember, many things can change and Disney can move them elsewhere.
    That's true. Every time I've walked by the River Belle Terrace during non-breakfast hours, it is quite empty. I can understand changing the menu to appeal to more guests, but I'm still scratching my head on why Disney wants to get rid of the Mickey pancakes though. It doesn't seem like it would be a bad thing to keep around. Are the pancakes not as popular as I think they are?

Well anyways, thank you for all the information! You were quite helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I keep hearing every decision is to maximize profits, but I can guarantee that pancakes are a profit maximizer. Any restaurant owner (my dad being a former one) can tell you pancakes, pasta, and pizza are where the greatest margins are at. A really confusing decision, in my opinion.
    I agree with you there. Mickey shaped pancakes at Disneyland seem like a product that should sell and be super profitable, right? It's quite confusing indeed.

I do find it hard to believe that Disney would give the ax to one of their best selling items. I would likely stop going to breakfast there if they took away the Mickey Mouse Pancakes at River Belle Terrace.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If Disney can't even do Mickey pancakes anymore something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

• Senior Minion

Since IMO they've already jumped the shark, I guess this means they've... jumped the pancake?

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Since IMO they've already jumped the shark, I guess this means they've... jumped the pancake?

Wouldnt it be, they flipped the pancake?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Senior Minion

^ Perfect!

However if this turns out to be true, it's nothing I'm going to be joking about. Since the days when it was the Magnoila Tree Terrace, and Aunt Jemima's Pancake House before that, a Mickey-pancake breakfast at the River Belle Terrace has been a kid tradition for so many years that many of those kids have grown up to share it with their own kids and grandkids. Surrounded by the sights and sounds of Adventureland, Frontierland and New Orleans Square, millions of kids have experienced it as the start of their Disneyland day. If Mickey pancakes have indeed been dumped from the River Belle menu, then something truly has cracked in the nuts that hang from Disney management's decision tree.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-14-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I can not believe this!!!

As one who had Mickey Mouse pancakes in the Aunt Jemima Pancake House back in summer 1967, I would be SHOCKED to see them gone from the breakfast menu there.

Are the Mickey Mouse waffles still at Carnation Cafe on MSUSA?

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

• Tourist

Mickey Mouse pancakes at the River Belle Terrace have been a Disneyland tradition for generations of guests. People who first enjoyed them as kids have grown up and now watch their grandchildren enjoy them. If this rumor is true, the current DL management is living in Wolkenkuckucksheim.

• Down Pluto!

If true - somebody in Management is a Dumbo.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I "used" to drive down early (from the San Fernando Valley at the time, which is kind of far...)

To get eggs Benedict at Carnation Café and when they went off menu, I switched to Storyteller's or afternoon arrival going forward.

They killed my tradition of starting with breakfast in the park.

• Minion

Maybe since the same people who run WDW now run DL, they don't understand why DL should have Mickey Mouse pancakes since WDW doesn't have them (which btw is a mystery to me in of itself. You'd think that a big Disney resort like that would have some dang Mickey pancakes. But I digress.). They probably figure little frozen Mickey shaped hockey puck waffles are good enough.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast