Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Disneyland on Friday the 13th is a REAL nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I disagree. Either it's a ticketed event for everyone or no one.
    I don't think that it's fair for someone who is paying $499 to $699 a year for an AP to have to pay for an additional ticket for something like this. If they were to make these kinds of events ticketed it should be included when you purchase a Premium/Deluxe, and the two lower tiers can have the option to have it included if they want it - if not they are blocked out on the day of the event.

Obviously that is a loose idea, but doing something like this would definitely cut back on the overall traffic.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I don't think that it's fair for someone who is paying $499 to $699 a year for an AP to have to pay for an additional ticket for something like this. If they were to make these kinds of events ticketed it should be included when you purchase a Premium/Deluxe, and the two lower tiers can have the option to have it included if they want it - if not they are blocked out on the day of the event.

Obviously that is a loose idea, but doing something like this would definitely cut back on the overall traffic.
    We will have to agree to disagree on this one. If there's a special event at Disneyland that is non-ticketed, it should be available to everyone - SoCal APs, Deluxe APs, day ticket holders, discount day ticket holders, etc. First come first serve. If there's an event that is ticketed, IMHO everyone should have to pay for it.

With your AP all you are purchasing is admission to the park, and Premium/Deluxe already get more because they're blocked out fewer days than the lower tiers. If we do the math, Deluxe passholders pay $1.58/day of access to Disney; SoCal passholders pay $1.71. There isn't too much of a difference, and the SoCal passholders are actually paying a little more.

If they want to cut traffic and park crowding they need to cut capacity maximums, and they will never do that.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. If there's a special event at Disneyland that is non-ticketed, it should be available to everyone - SoCal APs, Deluxe APs, day ticket holders, discount day ticket holders, etc. First come first serve. If there's an event that is ticketed, IMHO everyone should have to pay for it.

With your AP all you are purchasing is admission to the park, and Premium/Deluxe already get more because they're blocked out fewer days than the lower tiers. If we do the math, Deluxe passholders pay $1.58/day of access to Disney; SoCal passholders pay $1.71. There isn't too much of a difference, and the SoCal passholders are actually paying a little more.

If they want to cut traffic and park crowding they need to cut capacity maximums, and they will never do that.

i agree. Sometimes i wish they had a special line for PREMIUM/PREMIER passholders to get into the park (sort of how USH and their AP line) but i dont think that would work out.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Hypothetically speaking, let's say Disney makes all of these kinds of events ticketed in the future (which to be honest, doesn't seem that far off) - everyone would be paying for it. The Premium and Deluxe AP's would have it included in the price and the SoCal and SoCal Select passes would have the option to pay a little more and receive the same perk, or decline and be blocked out for the day. Regular day ticket holders wouldn't change, and would follow the same protocol as it is now during ticketed events. Doing this with the AP's I think would thin out the amount of people that show up to these events. If it's not ticketed, and all AP's are unblocked it's total open season which as we've seen is really pure chaos.

I expected the crowds. I thought I knew what I was getting into.
    I really wanted the dumb haunted mansion holiday mug. I love nmbc and thought it would be cool to take to work.
    I waited in line at the French market for an hour, and when I got inside I asked the cm who took my order if the mugs were still available. She said yes, and I waited to get my food. I got the meatloaf sliders which were awful btw. And for some reason, it took them 15 minutes to make them. Anyway, get up to pay and ask for my drink in the mug. They say oh we ran out but someone's getting more, it should be a few minutes. If I wanted one I'd have to get back in line and wait again. I said, well can I just pay for and step aside and wait the few minutes because the cup was the only reason I had chosen to eat there that night. He then said again, you can get a normal drink, and then get in line again and hopefully they'd have some by then. Normally I am pretty passive, but this was pretty unacceptable i thought. Although I was not rude, I said to the cm, are you aware the line to get inside is an hour? You would like me to wait for another hour for something I was told was here when I ordered my food, and maybe it will be here this time? Before he could answer a second cast member walked by and literally slammed the mug onto my tray and said "there, happy?" I said thank you and paid.
    I went to the patio and sat at a table, frustrated, but hey. In the end I got my dumb, overpriced mug. As I was eating, the French market band came up and was preparing to start a set. One of the band members noticed I was eating alone, came up to me, introduced himself, chatted with me, and then gave me some beads(the first set I've ever gotten there!) and then handed some out to a few nearby kids. To me, that's how cast members have always behaved, and that's part of why Disneyland is special to me. The cm's have always been gracious. I was saddened that this event broke that veil for me.
    However, a big thanks to the band member who was friendly and wonderful.
    Last edited by Astrophel1; 09-14-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Oops French market band

• Minion

^did you report the cast member to City Hall?

We were there not knowing in advance that it was Friday the 13th, AND that it was the first day of the Halloween decorations and rides. I found out probably the night before but we had planned to go with other family so we didn't want to back out.

It was really crowded and there wasn't the normal Disney staff directing and managing the flow like on previous visits. We came at the worst time too, around 6 PM, it took us probably an hour and a half from the 57 trying to park at you story to the time we got in to DCA to meet up. The traffic was stopped all the way to the freeway, there was a massive line to get on the bus, trough security and of course to get into either park.

We decided to skip the Halloween rides until next time when hopefully they will be less crowded, or we go early enough to score a fast pass. I have fibromyalgia and wouldn't be able to wait 80 minutes for either which was the average time while we were there. I still haven't made the move to a GAC, I'm only 29 and don't look disabled the least bit, but standing still or sitting too long and I get pain pain pain.

It was cool seeing the fireworks from inside autopia. The show looked weird from the side but it was a way less crowded spot than anywhere else I've seen it from. The gluten free burger at tomorrow land was excellent also.

Luckily we forced naps on our kids during the day so we were able to tough it out until near closing without any fuss. It could have been much worse but it was probably the most displeasing time I've had at Disney this year. At least next time will HAVE to be better by comparison.

Btw, I never even knew about ghost galaxy until 2 days ago, I had yogi ogle it.

Sorry to get slightly off-topic, but:

Quote Originally Posted by jan37 View Post
    The fireworks, Remember..., were amazing even if the overall experience wasn't.
    I'm so glad Remember is back. I didn't catch it on Friday, but I did see a nice little chunk of it tonight from the 5 as I was coming home from the dodgers game (). I wish they would do Halloween Screams every night, but Remember is a good substitute. I wondered on Friday if anyone was expecting Halloween Screams (what with all the Halloween hullabaloo) and was disappointed.

I don't think any expected Halloween Screams since it wasn't an official Halloween event/party.

•   
    • Minion

They did apparently do a special villains (not Halloween) fireworks show at WDW - it would have been nice to have something similar at Disneyland.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

For those that didn't get the chance to go to the Friday the 13th event, here are two videos that I shot showing what it looks like when the parties started at Disneyland:

The First ever dance party in the Train Station in New Orleans Square.

My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Minion

the villain party thing at the New Orleans train station looks kinda awkward. The audience is just standing there while the villains are dancing a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jan37 View Post
    I don't think any expected Halloween Screams since it wasn't an official Halloween event/party.
    I didn't mean people like us who actually know things. I meant your average guest who doesn't know what time the 4:00pm parade starts. The kind of person who only visits Disneyland once every few years and doesn't frequent Mice Chat in between. Someone who isn't aware that Halloween Screams is now exclusive to the ticketed parties. Someone who doesn't realize that the fireworks shows have different names, and just refers to them as the fireworks. Maybe that person was expecting Halloween or villain-themed fireworks. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    the villain party thing at the New Orleans train station looks kinda awkward. The audience is just standing there while the villains are dancing a little bit.
    I agree. That was a bit painful to watch haha

• Former Churro Jockey

So this whole mess to me is the reason why I am in favor of separate ticketed events. It seems like more people did not have fun then did, which means that the event wasn't worth it. If you have an event during the day you can't control how many people attend beyond the park capacity, but if you have a separate ticketed event that you know won't be able to handle 60K people then you can just limit the ticket sales to whatever seems appropriate for the size of the event.

Also, one thing that stood out to me is that there seemed to be a lack of guest control staff. There were only parking lanes open at the Toy Story lot, and one additional person directing traffic, and then after that it seemed like everyone was just on their own. The guest control for Fantasmic was fine (as it always is -- those people do a phenomenal job!) but the line for the Haunted Mansion was out of control. As I mentioned previously, I tried on two separate occasions to get in line and I never did find the back of the line. So it seems like they may have just gone with the normal projected attendance based on Friday's in September for the past few years rather then taking into account that this was a special event, which seems really odd.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast