Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• the rockawho?

Re: Disneyland on Friday the 13th is a REAL nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    If they want to cut traffic and park crowding they need to cut capacity maximums, and they will never do that.

cutting capacity maximum will not cut back on the crowd and traffic....

disneyland can shut down to customers, but it wont stop people from trying to get into the park or waiting in line....look at the leap year...disneyland closed their gates until the capacity died down....there were hundreds of people standing outside disneyland waiting to get it and streets filled with traffic.....

also, purchasing APs is not just for park admission. You have other perks such as parking and discounts.

holidays such as christmas, thanksgiving, 4th of july, new years eve etc...these holidays/events are blackout to lower tiers...events like the villains party should be blackout as well

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post

disneyland can shut down to customers, but it wont stop people from trying to get into the park or waiting in line....look at the leap year...disneyland closed their gates until the capacity died down....there were hundreds of people standing outside disneyland waiting to get it and streets filled with traffic.....

also, purchasing APs is not just for park admission. You have other perks such as parking and discounts.

holidays such as christmas, thanksgiving, 4th of july, new years eve etc...these holidays/events are blackout to lower tiers...events like the villains party should be blackout as well
    Well, they could just do as they ave been doing with other aspects of the company and require advance reservations FOR EVERYONE on those special occasions. No reservation, no entry. Post that at every parking entry and online and the overall traffic should be reduced.

Really the only thing that was negative was the lack of CM help with regards to herding the crowds and keeping order near ride lines. I've been when it's more crowded and it wasn't as bad.

As far as AP perks go, I think the balance is already pretty fair as it is. As a low tier pass holder I think there's enough days on and off to make it fair already. You can't just block everything for us lowly peasants, it's already expensive as it is and a lot of folk I know aren't renewing because the price is getting worse all the time already.

There will never be an answer to the crowds at disneyland, it's disneyland, everyone wants to go there all the time and it probably won't ever change.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    Well, they could just do as they ave been doing with other aspects of the company and require advance reservations FOR EVERYONE on those special occasions. No reservation, no entry. Post that at every parking entry and online and the overall traffic should be reduced.
    This.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Science Factual

Quote Originally Posted by stinky634 View Post
    There will never be an answer to the crowds at disneyland, it's disneyland, everyone wants to go there all the time and it probably won't ever change.
    this^^

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post

I agree.

• Minion

I think going to any of these type of events I would expect it to be crowded and crazy. You just have to be there with your ultimate patience and just take it all in. I wish I could have gone.
    Jeff Wayne

• Singing Drinker

Down this road lies a very strong connection to something that a lot of people here *don't* like - separate admission events.

Once you tie the admit to the event to a specific set of hoops to be jumped through, it's VERY easy to justify passing the added costs of putting the event together on to the customers. After all, if they've already turned it into a "reservation required" event, what remains in their toolbag when they're still receiving more requests than they can accommodate?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

Hi All...

I was there Friday and thoughly enjoyed the madness, but i came fully prepared in advance expecting big crowds.

I flew in from the East Coast a few days earlier, and was looking forward to being there for this.
    I stayed nearby, walked to the Park, and once i entered pretty much stayed put. It was a awesome...although long...day!

I saw the beginning, middle, and chaotic end of it all. Quite a scene.
    Many locals came dressed for the occasion, and lots of cosplay/character dress-up folks were there wearing their weirdest. Yeah...quite a scene indeed.

It was a huge contrast to the crowd levels of the previous two days ( Wednesday was a awesome first day with hardly anyone around until 2ish)...so Friday was quite a jolt as far as the spike in attendence goes.

I rode everything i wanted to already, and hit up Mansion to see the overlay after the opening morning rush. After the early birds filtered through, i stood in the queue for maybe 20 minutes, if that. I considered myself extremely lucky, and it seemed right after i left the Mansion the line started to really grow. As the day wore on, the line got longer and longer. By evening it was all the way back to Pirates. I saw this with my own eyes and was amazed. The line for the Jack Skellington meet & greet was almost as long, but this was snaked around in a different area off to the left of the main Mansion entrance.

I found the experience to be chaotic, but also quite fun. It did indeed feel like some kind of weird, alternative reality New Years Eve party.
    I kept wondering if the Park hit capacity that night...but i guess not. Sure was brim full of folks.

Despite all of that, i was amazed to see everyone pretty much behaving themselves and taking it all in without trying to spoil it for everyone else. This was a massive crowd and could have at any time turned ugly ...exspecially during the post -first showing of Fantasmic crush coupled with the long Mansion line . Talk about a huge bottleneck with the potential to create some real pent up frustrations for some people.
    It was really refreshing to see folks just playing it cool and being considerate of others.
    I am too used to the inconsiderate Guest experiences that would be happening at my 'home Parks' at WDW if that same situation presented itself. The differences between the attitudes of the audiences attracted to both of these Parks is so different in vibe, and the Villians Party made it clear to me yet again.
    It was no surprise when i learned upon returning home that the WDW version of the Villians Party went rather sour for a lot of folks who attended. By the sounds of it, things were definately not planned correctly there.

I was glad to have experienced it. It was a one-off for me, and although it was indeed rather crazy the crowds were in good spirits and folks were having a good time.

P.S. - I can't believe Shan Yu was there !! EPIC !
    Last edited by Figments Friend; 09-16-2013 at 08:21 PM.

• Former Churro Jockey

Oh, that reminds me of something that I had completely forgotten about. There was a rumor going around that I heard more then one guest mention that Justin Timberlake was in the park that day. I have no idea if that's true because I've never heard guests mentioning a celebrity in the park before (CM's all know about it about 5 minutes after the park opens when a celebrity is there), so I don't know if it was a rumor that a CM started just to see how far it might spread, or if it was a park guest who started it, or what, but I've been there on days were pretty big celebrities were in the park like Tom Hanks or Arnold Schwarsnegger were there, and I never heard park guests talking about it.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Disney Philosopher

If they double the admission rates and the AP amounts that might help thin it out.

Just like when gas soared over $5 a gallon the freeways thinned out.

I would be willing to pay $1k for an AP with no crowds.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    If they double the admission rates and the AP amounts that might help thin it out.
    Eh just kill the dang payment plan to thin about probably 30% (no clue how accurate that would be but it would be a large chunk).

I took a half day at work so I could get there around 1pm since it was obvious once the locals showed up at night it would be a cluster bleep :-p

Glad I got my shirt, I went over to DCA for that, the line got a little nuts over there too but much less than over at DL. I went back over to line up for the Villains meet and great. Even though I got back over about 6:45 and hopped in line the Villains line up still changed twice before I could make it to the front. It wasn't really so much a line initially as a crowd that slowly creeped toward the Villains. I went to city hall after that to add another voice and put in a what the hell were you thinking not enacting passholder blockouts for an event like this and putting the meet and great near the entrance in town square. UGH.

I did put in CM compliments also as usual. There is always some standouts and I really felt for them dealing with all this madness.

That being said I did expect it to be worse though :-/

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    That being said I did expect it to be worse though :-/
    So there was an up-side?
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    So there was an up-side?
    Not everyone had a bad time - friend of mine was there, got in about 6 p.m. and stayed to close, said it was a little crowded but they got to dance a bit and had a great time otherwise.

Didn't spend much time around Main Street and they were prepared for bad traffic; this may have colored their perceptions.

But yeah, there were definitely people who enjoyed it.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky634 View Post
    I have an answer.
    The issue is that everyone wants to go there all the time, AND THEY CAN GO THERE ALL THE TIME. SO THEY DO GO THERE ALL THE TIME.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast