• Know More Than You Should

Lightbulb Disneyland Stealing WDW's Thunder?

I know, I know. A lot of you read that and went 'WHAT?!'.

Oh, I assure you, I am no stranger to the confusing (and more then often misleading) advertising campain put together for Disneyland's 50. The one that increasingly makes it look as though it were Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary. The one that gives WDW all of the new rides and TV spots.

But now let's think about this for a second: this is Walt Disney World's 35th anniversary (1971-2006).

Where's the celebration? It's focused on Disneyland, who has already turned 50, and has already been celebrating for almost a year. While Walt Disney World gets no cake.

It's ironic, I know, but undeniably true.

But wait, you say, Walt Disney World got all of that cool new stuff for the 50th instead of Disneyland.

Well, let's briefly recap the offerings for a second. The Magic Kingdom got a redecorated castle, which many feel is too gaudy, and a gigantic Magic Mirror many feel is too big. They also got a new castle show based on a show from Tokyo Disneyland, which everyone was dissapointed with and is expected to be replaced by Cinderella's Suprise Celebration after the 50th cools, if I'm not mistaken. Disney MGM Studios got a new stunt show. Which is good, and it's a good show. But it's really just a copy of the one in Paris, and besides, MGM alreay HAS a stunt show. Disney's Animal Kingdom got an animatronic. A really cool, walking animatronic, but still just one animatronic. An animatronic which left months ago to help open Hong Kong Disneyland. And finally there's EPCOT, which recieved an actual attraction. However, it's a carbon copy of the one at DCA, and doesn't really fit the theme of the Land as well as it does in DCA.

Disneyland, on the other hand, got a new parade, which everyone loves, a new fireworks show, which everyone loves, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (with free photos!) and a new Space Mountain, plus the immanent return of the subs and possibly the people mover and rocket jets.

Personally, I am appauled by the faulty marketing campain that has WDW be the shining star for Disneyland's 50th. But it is interesting to think that now Disneyland is getting it's revenge.

• The one, the only...

Re: Disneyland Stealing WDW's Thunder?

I mentioned in a post over on WDW side that I believe that a 35th celebration for MK and a 25th for Epcot would have attracted at least as many people to WDW as this fictional 50th celebration. It should never been a "world wide" celebration. It was just a marketing ploy because Disney makes more money at WDW. Go to WDW to celebrate Disneyland? How about Tokyo and Paris? They don't care about the 50th. It is just a crazy idea.

Now with both a 35th and 50th going on at the same time. It might have really had an impact on attendance at WDW. We know that it has been an overwhelming success for DL.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Now 40% less bitter!

Having never been to Disneyworld, I am admittedly Disneyland biased. That said, I see nothing wrong with Disneyland getting a lot of cool stuff in 2005 and 2006, thus overshadowing Disneyworld's 35th birthday.
    Overshadowing parks birthdays is nothing new. During Disneyworld's 30th birthday celebration, it was Disneyland's 45th and no media attention was given to the little west coast park....
    Wait a minute. That's when DCA opened. Okay, so press was given, but it was all bad.
    Also, we were still victim to the Pressler era, so things were just crap-doodle here.
    My point is this: there has been debate for years about WDW getting more attention (monetary and otherwise) than DL for a very long time, now. I know it's hard for some pro-WDWers to accept, but now it's our turn. It shouldn't have to be taken in turns, but there are some smarter people in charge now, and I think they realize that they essentially owe it to DL to make it shine.
    I remember, many years ago on another board that someone said that DL was being treated like WDW's "ugly stepchild". Well, this is DL's Cinderella moment. Let's all just enjoy it.
    Oo-de-lally!

• Know More Than You Should

I'm with you; I'm out here in CA and adimittedly a DL person myself.

• Now 40% less bitter!

And also, DAK just got a great E-ticket attraction. DL can't say that, nor will they be able to say that in the forseeable future, as far as we know.
    Oo-de-lally!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I think this just shows how silly Disney Marketing can really be. They could have done the Worldwide thing and just kept pushing on into the 35th of WDW and the 25th of Epcot. But their desire to make WDW look 50 just screws up everything into the future. Now people will be confused because it would go from 50 to 35. I also think people may not respond well to Epcot's 25th. Disney has tried so hard to make it seem as if it all just happened at once. Who can forget the 25th peptocastle?

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33
    Disneyland, on the other hand, got a new parade, which everyone loves
    Uh... not everyone.

• Banned User

Adding Everest.. and also the new Nemo ride to open this summer/fall at Epcot...

I certainly don't think WDW got the short end of the stick. My fave park is Epcot, and it made out like a bandit in recent years.

And - leading to it's 25th - Epcot is scheduled for even more in the next few years. Rumors of SSE rehabs and the almighty, heaven forbid, they put something new in World Showcase rumors, are starting to show promise.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I loVe Disney, Walt Disney and the ideals he stood for and the things he wanted to do. The places he wanted to create for people so everyone could enjoy themselves as a family. If that occurs in multiple locations across the globe than I think its fabulous that a family who might live 2000+ miles from one park will be able to go to a park thats 50+ miles from where they live and enjoy the same magic. The idea is the same, it doesn't matter to me which park came first, they all hold a special place in my heart because of what each and everyone of them is "supposed" to stand for.

It's like your mother and your Aunt Ruthie arguing, your all from the same family, so who cares who had a birthday first, your both beautiful, you both change with age and just because Ruthie is celebrating moms birthday in another part of the world, doesn't cheapen it for any other relatives who can't make it to the party. Just means more parties and more fun in honor of your mom.

I LOVE DISNEY!