Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Southern California - DLR

66 82.50%
  • Florida - WDW

14 17.50%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Heavy Breather

Re: Where to Retire -- Anaheim or Florida?

I've always wanted to live in California. But the LA traffic would drive me bonkers.

If you pushed me to pick, I'd say near Anaheim (not actually IN Anaheim), mainly because of the sometimes fickle Florida weather (thunderstorms, hurricanes, humidity). Disneyland is certainly more compact, & will require less physical exertion if that ever becomes an issue. I think you could make the argument that there are plenty of other attractions and things to do in either state.

Truth be told, I'd love to live near one of the parks, but would have trouble living either place. I'd say expand your criteria and retire to the place you love, where you have people, that you can comfortably afford. If that happens to be near Anaheim or Orlando, awesome, but if not, then you just make it a priority to travel periodically to both parks. If you relocate to a place with a lower cost of living, you can apply those savings to making your visits to the parks special.

Florida has no income tax.

And yes, like a pp said, talk to a financial planner, no matter what decision you make.
    A fanatic is someone who redoubles his effort when he has forgotten his aim. George Santayana

• Disneyland Dreamer

No offense to anybody who calls FL home, but I could never personally live there. The humidity is horrid. I'm a desert dweller these days and love it. I've got a LOT of family in FL, but its just not my thing.

• Minion

I'd take California over Florida, any day, though I wouldn't live in Anaheim (I used to live in Anaheim and it was quite boring... Good thing it's not far from LA). I know we have high taxes and such, but I will gladly continue to pay than live in Florida. I absolutely dislike humidity and I need to see the mountains that I usually see today. The animals/insects in Florida are the second reason I'd never live there. I'm currently living in the Santa Monica mountains (for college) and I've seen all sorts of bugs and garden snakes. I freak out each time, no matter how small. I can barely handle the small bugs and garden snakes... I wouldn't survive in Florida with the even bigger bugs and poisonous snakes. Not to mention alligators, sharks and panthers. Nope, no thanks.

California's geography can't be matched. I'm turned off by the Florida swamps and lack of mountains. Give me mountains, redwoods, oceans (yes, I know Florida has them), etc. Not to mention the plethora of cities I love in California. California it is.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    ^because you see pythons and gators every day living in Florida lol
    My nephew does.

There are so many reasons not to even go to Florida, let alone retire there - and only three in favor that I can see:

1. WDW
    2. Everglades
    3. Access to cruises of the Caribbean and surrounds

If I want to do any of those three - I can fly there, do my business, and get the you-know-what out.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

^^^^ WDW is the only Florida draw for me.

• Minion

The weather in Florida sucks but Im a little confused about these assumptions that everyone living in Florida lives in a swamp hut surrounded by bugs and wildlife...you guys do know there is some civilization here right? Saying you wouldnt move to Florida because of snakes and gators is like saying you wouldnt move to California because of mountain lions and earthquakes.

• Evil is Sexy

I wouldn't live in central/southern Florida mostly because of Dade County. *coughs*
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Minion

The weather in Florida sucks but Im a little confused about these assumptions that everyone living in Florida lives in a swamp hut surrounded by bugs and wildlife...you guys do know there is some civilization here right? Saying you wouldnt move to Florida because of snakes and gators is like saying you wouldnt move to California because of mountain lions and earthquakes.
    Don't forget lack of dry heat and mountains and such. But you brought up another great point I forgot to mention. Hurricanes. No way, Jose. I'd take the three second-lasting that most of the time you can't even feel earthquakes than the hurricanes/rainy weather in Florida.

• Minion

yeah I get that the lack of mountains and weather and humidity is unappealing...but in Florida people do live in houses that protect people from the scary swamp monsters.

• Minion

yeah I get that the lack of mountains and weather and humidity is unappealing...but in Florida people do live in houses that protect people from the scary swamp monsters.
    That's good. I know I'd definitely want a house that did just that if I lived in Florida.

I'm afraid of water (I'm not afraid to take showers or baths), so the thought of a hurricane would probably give me nightmares.

....and don't forget about all those Canadian snowbirds who invade Florida every winter....pesky things

Hubby and I have to make this decision in about 9 years.

California is expensive -- high cost of housing, utilities, property taxes, other taxes, and so much more. The only thing that we seem to have reasonably priced groceries. The weather, though, is near perfect. Care must be taken to locate oneself far enough away from the faults to avoid earthquake damage.

Florida is too darned humid for us. UGH. I went to Boot Camp when the Naval Training Center was still in Orlando and I remember 9 weeks of oppressive humidity. It was no different in the summer of 2012 -- when it wasn't raining, it was hot and so humid that I thought it was going to close in on me.

Here's a thought: how about a place like Prescott, AZ? It's a little higher elevation and therefore avoids some of the desert heat of the Phoenix, Yuma, Tucson and Casa Grande areas, while still retaining a 6-7 hour drive to Anaheim.

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by teacherlady19 View Post
    Hubby and I have to make this decision in about 9 years.

California is expensive -- high cost of housing, utilities, property taxes, other taxes, and so much more. The only thing that we seem to have reasonably priced groceries. The weather, though, is near perfect. Care must be taken to locate oneself far enough away from the faults to avoid earthquake damage.

Florida is too darned humid for us. UGH. I went to Boot Camp when the Naval Training Center was still in Orlando and I remember 9 weeks of oppressive humidity. It was no different in the summer of 2012 -- when it wasn't raining, it was hot and so humid that I thought it was going to close in on me.

Here's a thought: how about a place like Prescott, AZ? It's a little higher elevation and therefore avoids some of the desert heat of the Phoenix, Yuma, Tucson and Casa Grande areas, while still retaining a 6-7 hour drive to Anaheim.

Donna
    My grandpa lives in Prescott Valley, and there are a lot of retired people who live there. There is a ton of variety when it comes to shopping and dining there, so I guess that is a plus.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast