Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Southern California - DLR

66 82.50%
  • Florida - WDW

14 17.50%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: Where to Retire -- Anaheim or Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by teacherlady19 View Post
    Here's a thought: how about a place like Prescott, AZ? It's a little higher elevation and therefore avoids some of the desert heat of the Phoenix, Yuma, Tucson and Casa Grande areas, while still retaining a 6-7 hour drive to Anaheim.

Donna
    We would love a place up in Prescott as a summer cabin. I love the climate of CA, but the ridiculous lack of freedom due to the overbearing laws, and high taxes keep me out. Prescott is kind of a sleepy town though for anybody considering it. I hit it up only twice per year, but I've learned its ins and outs. Still love it, and would love a second place up there.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    We would love a place up in Prescott as a summer cabin. I love the climate of CA, but the ridiculous lack of freedom due to the overbearing laws, and high taxes keep me out. Prescott is kind of a sleepy town though for anybody considering it. I hit it up only twice per year, but I've learned its ins and outs. Still love it, and would love a second place up there.

I grew up and spent first half of my adult life in California, and I never felt a lack of freedom, lived in AZ too for a bit, moved back to California, didn't feel I had more freedoms in AZ vs California.

For the original question-Certainly California overall would be better, I've been to Florida a few times, Orlando and Miami area's, and I can't say I liked it, it was humid, hot, and not pleasant. Also didn't care for the toll roads. I certainly will not return to Florida in this lifetime.

But some do see to like Florida, so just depends on what you like and want.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    I grew up and spent first half of my adult life in California, and I never felt a lack of freedom, lived in AZ too for a bit, moved back to California, didn't feel I had more freedoms in AZ vs California.
    Lets just say the second I cross the colorado river into CA I'm a criminal when I was a law abiding citizen a few seconds earlier in AZ. I don't appreciate that, and I can't even bring my legal possessions into CA due to their right-restricting laws.

• No Disassemble!

Retire in Irvine
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Mistress of Evil

The world's most horrible stories come out of either Germany or Florida (per Adam Carolla)...So my vote is for Anaheim.

If Disney is your whole world, somewhere in SoCal would meet your needs. As a lover of the outdoors enjoying fishing, hunting, and shooting sports, California is rapidly becoming a state to be avoided.

I fully understand what Whoever is saying.

•   
    • Minion

I don't know your money situation but I always envisioned having a furnished condo in each area so I can split time between to two states With permanent residency being in Florida of course!! It's a tough decision to pick one or the other they both have advantages and disadvantages.

People from the west coast will pick CA more time than Florida because they have Hurricanes, humidity, gators etc. People from the East coast will pick Florida because CA is expensive, has earthquakes and whatever other general reason they can think of. I always tell people you just have to figure out what you really want. Oh and of course those two areas for me are choices because of the Disney parks

• Foolish Mortal

California has just about every type of climate you could want. Im a California native and while I am getting frustrated with how bad traffic is getting, I cant see myself leaving this amazing state.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I live here in Brea just about 8 miles north of DLR and there is not really any problems with crime.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    People from the west coast will pick CA more time than Florida because they have Hurricanes, humidity, gators etc. People from the East coast will pick Florida because CA is expensive, has earthquakes and whatever other general reason they can think of. I always tell people you just have to figure out what you really want. Oh and of course those two areas for me are choices because of the Disney parks
    I grew up on the East Coast. 25 years in PA. I would happily choose CA over FL. I'm just not a fan of FL.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Lack of freedom? For who? Arizona has some pretty weird laws too.

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Retire in Irvine
    Or in Leisure World in Seal Beach or Laguna Woods...

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I grew up on the East Coast. 25 years in PA. I would happily choose CA over FL. I'm just not a fan of FL.
    Same here - NY and not PA. I visited many parts of FL as a kid and young adult and I just don't like the state at all. Not the scenery, not the way of life, not the politics, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Or in Leisure World in Seal Beach or Laguna Woods...
    A colleague of mine who retired moved to Leisure World. We're still in touch and she says that she really loves the community.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I'm retired and live in Northern CA. I'm staying here. We have some great biking roads, and most of them are rideable year round. I like SoCal for the weather, but I'd miss the quiet back roads and colorful gold rush towns we have up here. Florida is way too flat and lacks geographical diversity, to say nothing of the high humidity.

If cycling mattered less to me, I'd probably choose living in a community close (but not too close) to Disneyland.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Socal...the weather is worth the extra price of living here

It seems like for the cost of ten days at WDW I could move there....

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast