View Poll Results: Where To Retire?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Southern California - DLR

66 82.50%
  • Florida - WDW

14 17.50%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Re: Where to Retire -- Anaheim or Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    oregon would be a good place for me to retire because i hear they have no sales tax. that is great. a big benefit there
    Quite true. Oregon is a lovely place. The summers, which last 3-4 months, are exquisite. Where I am the rain is constant during much of the year but the greenery and floral displays make up for it.

But there's no Disneyland...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Hey Troutdale, Salem here, I have already made my retirement Choice, Bullhead City AZ., Oct 1, 2014. It is not that expensive to Greyhound from AZ, to Disneyland and you can actually save one night lodging by sleeping on the bus. To replace the Columbia, they have the Colorado, can't see Mt Hood from your deck, wait till you see sunsets on the mountains there, fantastic!!!! And there is lots of space in the desert. Granted, we are returning to Oregon from June 1 to Nov 1, can't miss fall or the Pacific in Northwest. We used Craigslist and other web sites to crunch numbers on cost and quality of life. Disneyland was my aim to move south, cutting transport costs from Oregon by 75% or more and using those savings to frequent the three seasons at DL. Oh yes, Florida has no mountains, you will panic within a week!!!!

In regards to the post about retiring to Oregon, the only place to retire is south of Roseburg or east of the cascades. We are moving because of the mildew,wet, mold, wet, arthritis, wet, nothing to do from NOV1 to June 1. I have lived in Oregon from age 11 to now, so has my wife but for a short stint in Phoenix. She was healthy, vibrant in AZ. Today she is sick from the gunk we breathe every winter/spring. We spend Christmas in AZ, within 24 hours of landing she is free of the illness brought on by the moisture, grass fields, water in the Valley.

My husband and his family lived around Orlando for a year, and they had a alligator in the pond behind their house, haha! If that dost keep me away, the giant bugs and humidity will.
    I would pick California in a heart beat over Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by StarDustFairy View Post
    My husband and his family lived around Orlando for a year, and they had a alligator in the pond behind their house, haha! If that dost keep me away, the giant bugs and humidity will.
    I would pick California in a heart beat over Florida.
    cool picture

• Former Churro Jockey

You'll have to travel to Florida in August and see if you can handle it. I love the town of Celebration and usually visit there for half a day whenever I go to WDW. It would be a wonderful place to live. I love the lack of traffic and also how nice and well-maintained everything is -- especially the roads. I usually rent a car at the airport and drive to WDW, and the roads always seem like they are brand new. I enjoy Universal Citywalk and I haven't really spent much time in Orlando but I hear that it's a great city. But I just can't handle the weather in the summer. The humidity is just too much. I don't mind the off-and-on rain, but I hate humidity. I'm pretty sure that there is no way I can live there.

Oh, and there's no In N Out in Florida. So that pretty much ends the discussion right there.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    So basically some place in Southern California that is an hour and a half or so on the bus from the DLR. Costa Mesa?
    Costa Mesa is 15 minutes from Disneyland, not sure how long using a bus service. Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills, Corona (where I live), Chino Hills, Cypress...all fairly close. You can actually take the metrolink from Corona/Yorba Linda/Anaheim Hills to Anaheim or Fullerton and then shuttle or bus straight to Disneyland.

An hour and a half away from DLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    One of the friendly hotels just off property.
    This is the funniest joke about living in Southern California congestion that I've ever heard, bar none. And I'd love to live in a hotel...or even at the DLR...or maybe above the Fire House or in Star Arcade.

I have carefully considered everyone's suggestions...and done lots more research.

Corona seemed like a great option until I contrasted my city's 90% plus annual excellent air days with Corona's 30%.

Am I insane?

But fortunately I am not going anywhere soon and I have lots of time to dream and research (Arizona? High Desert?) and dream some more...

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will keep coming back to see if anyone has new ideas.

If I had a million dollars I would build us a Disney group retirement home...direct shuttles to DLR, AP's built into our monthly room & board...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Why would anyone choose a place to retire based on a theme park? I don't get it.

So Dolby, Salem here, how are you freezing now, whoops, I meant how are you planning now??? In response to why retire near a theme park, part of the choice is culture planning. Here in Oregon it is expensive to have a season pass and other requirements to ski Mt. Hood, own a boat to fish in the summer time or even find a good day to spend a couple of hours on the Pacific Coast. There is no sports culture in Oregon other than University teams and those are limited to only a few folks. And then once an expenditure is made to do any of the above it is for a limited time.

While on the other hand, a AP purchase extends the year long visits to a special activity that requires very little equipment and weather options. I work with retiring Oregon Senior Citizens and the number one activity retirement choice is to RV to dry camps all over the desert. Or near a golf course

My retirement choice is based on walking to the river everyday, working a few hours, volunteer, all of this in the sun. The city choice is based on how easy it is to mass transit to Disneyland.

• Banned User

I don't know why anyone would want to move to a new location for retirement. It will be a big mistake. You won't know anyone and it takes a long time to figure out where the medical and senior services will be.

1. Consider selling your home to unlock your home equity.
    2. Move to a cheaper location with easy access to stores and restaurants.
    3. Live cheaply in a senior home or apartment.
    4. Maintain close ties to your family and friends.
    5. With the money you save, you can afford to take frequent vacations to Anaheim or Florida, but I can guarantee that this will wane as you get older into your 70s and 80s.

• Dont make me unfriend you

You posted in the Disneyland forum. I'm not surprised most of the people have answered with California. Just wondering, did you also post in the Disneyworld forum? You might get more answers for Florida or more insight into Florida.
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

This is not to argue, but to further discussion, and all of the 5 points are very valid. Though I think with the internet it is much easier to find medical and senior services. I have used the internet to walk down streets in Bullhead City, find bus routes and needed services. We have even house snooped and picked out landscape that we would like to surround ourselves and easy river acces. But do you know where Dobby is currently living right now? Troutdale is one of the armpits of oregon. Every news station broadcast from Troutdale during ice or snow storms about freeway closures. Right now the windows are rattling where Dobby lives. Troutdale is at the mouth of the Columbia gorge/canyon where wind is constant. And when such a deep freeze is happening, the cold is bitter. But this wind is all year round due to the geography. Check out KGW Crown Point to see how the wind can knock a tourist down. Troutdale is at the edge of Portland and at one time was very rural, still having its old main street of the west. Services are actually more difficult to obtain. The only good feature about Troutdale is Edgefield and I am not even sure that is Troutdale.

Saving money? I heard the other night that money should not be saved but invested.( and this after October scared me and liquidate my stocks ). So by investing in a year round AP pass the entertain value exceeds that of what airfare and 4 days in disney can offer.

And there is no guarantee, so live life in caution because you never know what you can do as 90 year old.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    Saving money? I heard the other night that money should not be saved but invested.( and this after October scared me and liquidate my stocks ). So by investing in a year round AP pass the entertain value exceeds that of what airfare and 4 days in disney can offer.
    The older you get, the less money should be invested in the risky stock market because you have less time to recover the money if the stock market crashes.

You have to also realize that if you heard it last night, you're not confident of your investing abilities, which you just confirmed.

An AP pass isn't an investment. It is an expenditure. An investment suggests you can cash out and get the money back. You'll never your AP money back.

Your last sentence makes no sense. How does an "AP investment" exceed that of airfare and 4 nights. Are you suggesting they move to Anaheim to save on an AP? I can tell you right away that the standard of living Anaheim exceeds that of Oregon. You can live more cheaply in Oregon and use the differences in savings to vacation in Anaheim regardless of whether you'll get an AP.

When the discussion started months ago many folks supported your fact that Anahiem was not the place to retire. That is true. But by using the internet, communties east ( and I understand that maybe an hour or more away from Disneyland) could be more affordable for the poster's living budget. The trick is how to arrive at Disneyland via mass transit. I think that is the key to any retirement. Or maybe live north or south on a railway. That is how I made my choice. nevada and AZ have such a pork barrel transit system that is beyond belief. Per captia it is much better than here in Salem.
    How is an AP an investment? for 500.00 Dolby can have 315 days in the park. The same 500.00 by amtrak from PDX is around trip and a 3 day safeway park hopper. no lodging. no magic. 3 days or 315 days. Yes oregon is a cheap place to live, but unless you are involved in a water sport, there is no magic and paying the winter dues just to live in Oregon does not make for healthy living.

• Banned User

A 1 bedroom apartment in Oregon is $400 in Portland. Anaheim costs $1000. A six hundred dollar difference.

How much does it cost to vacation in Anaheim? You say it costs $500 via Amtrak. Then lodging and a 3 day pass.

An AP is not an investment. It is an expenditure. But you should get one if you can get to the park much more frequently. Suggestions to live in Arizona isn't one of them. Nevada is much closer. Living in Las Vegas might work, but the drive/ride is tough for a senior. Live in the California inland or San Diego counties. Still, the commute is hard and you still might need to live in a hotel for a night or two.

So do you want to live near Anaheim for $1000 a month? Your choice.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast