Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Club 33 Jazz Club Expansion to Be Themed To Tiana's Place

Quote Originally Posted by jerroddragon View Post
    wow....so they could not just make us a princess and the frog restaurant...we have to pay 25k to see it...booo
    seriously!

While I do feel like they could have left out the Princess and the Frog bit, I love the fact they are adding (or at least considering) the jazz club. Walt's vision included a jazz club in the area right by Club 33 and I am happy they are finding a way to include it.

•   
    • Minion

I actually love the idea of a jazz club too - but the theming is what gets me. Club 33 and movie-tie ins should not be mixed.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

As I said on another site regarding a similar idea, New Orleans Square is supposed to be at least forty years and one cataclysmic war too early to include The Princess and the Frog.

I found these pictures of "Tiana's Palace" online...this is the inspiration for what the jazz club will look like. But it is not being built exactly. They are not really building "Tiana's Palace", just being inspired by it. Like how Walt Disney did not build Neuschwanstein Castle he only used it as an inspiration for Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland.

Name:  TianasPalace2.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  68.2 KBName:  TianaPalace1.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  79.4 KB

• And Dad was my hero.

Am I the only one that sees a huge irony here in using The Princess and the Frog theme as inspiration for a lounge for Club 33 and not in the rest of NOS?

I feel like I need to preface this by saying I harbor NO ill feelings to those that can afford this exclusive part of the happiest place on earth, the Club is a neat tradition for those that can afford it and to them I say, 'Enjoy!"

That said, I DO find it a tad hard to swallow that a film with messages such as:

"a gift this special just gotta be shared"
    "never, ever lose sight of what's really important" (specifically, family, not $)

...are going to be (even lightly) themed to a place prized for it's exclusivity. That just makes no sense to me.

I actually think it's one of Disney's best and most fleshed out princess stories. A beautiful and unique story (as fairy tales go) of what can happen when good people look past class warfare and just work toward what they want, and be the best of who they are. A little girl from the other side of the tracks, who carries her Father's dream through to fruition. A rich little girl whose big heart helps her friend. A Prince who realizes there is more to life than money. Rich and poor, both represented with kindness and in a joyful way. The only villains (or internal conflict) are those obsessed with their financial standing or class.

I don't post much here, but I lurk enough to know that a lot here frown on using the films for theming and that it is over done, mostly I would agree. In this case, however (and I may be alone on this) I think the theming for Tiana's Palace is a really neat idea in NOS and keeping it hidden away for just a few is inappropriate at best. Especially if it is subtle inspiration and well done (rather than cartoony) as it sounds like it may be.

The opening song end with: "rich people, poor people, all got dreams, dreams do come true in New Orleans"

ahem.

I think the bean counters and the sharp pencil boys need to "dig a little deeper" on this one.
    Last edited by Mom kissed Walt; 09-16-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: typo

• Senior Minion

^ Excellent post!!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Mom kissed Walt, this is the same Company that intends to turn the ending of "it's a. Small world" into an exclusive experience only for those staying Walt Disney World and using the MagicBand.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Franny Pack View Post
    Walt's vision included a jazz club in the area right by Club 33
    Backup or proof of any kind would certainly be appreciated.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It's amazing how many changes made to Disneyland are a "fulfillment" of what Walt really wanted all along.

• Bangarang!

I've got no qualms with using the films finale as inspiration for any addition, so long as it is just inspiration, and ties in more with the existing areas of the Club.
    Now if this dining room was being added to "street level" NOS and for the general public/guests it probably would have to be more specifically set to Tiana's from the film, its just de rigure these days. Still it'd be better if it was also 'inspired by' rather than a recreation.

And, of course, it's still sad that the Courtyard will become a members only area. Its a pity that there isn't another way to add to the Club whilst keeping this little gem open to everyone.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    It's amazing how many changes made to Disneyland are a "fulfillment" of what Walt really wanted all along.
    Agreed. Interestingly, this rationale seems to be a rather recent phenomenon.

It's even more interesting because New Orleans Square was opened during Walt's lifetime. If he had originally wanted a "jazz club," you can be damn sure there would have been one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Backup or proof of any kind would certainly be appreciated.
    When I visited Club 33 the manager mentioned Walt's vision of the Jazz Club and so did my tour guide for the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour.

• Closed Account

I'm afraid that just won't cut it...

But thanks for replying at least.

As is everyone, I am so sad to see the Court of Angles no longer being public, however I must say that I am thrilled that they are doing Tiana's Place! I'll never get to dine there, but I love that they're doing it. I will live vicariously through pictures.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast