Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Club 33 Jazz Club Expansion to Be Themed To Tiana's Place

^see but thats not what Disneylands about...the Club 33 was for Walt to have an area to bring friends and have business meetings....not a place that is closed off to the poor and only the rich allowed in.....and like someone said before...its kinda ironic considering the message in Princess and the Frog

• And Dad was my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Mom kissed Walt, this is the same Company that intends to turn the ending of "it's a. Small world" into an exclusive experience only for those staying Walt Disney World and using the MagicBand.
    Oh I know, I get how horrifyingly dense the current admin is.

It's funny, when I first started reading micechat last year I was sort of blissfully unaware of the sad direction it was/has been going in, but lately the poor choices seem to be coming at a fast and furious pace.

Oh and thank you Mr. Wiggins!

• Sea Creature

I've been waiting for Tiana to get more representation in New Orleans Square, but this is not a welcome addition. I couldn't be more upset about the Court of Angels being closed.

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by Mom kissed Walt View Post
    Am I the only one that sees a huge irony here in using The Princess and the Frog theme as inspiration for a lounge for Club 33 and not in the rest of NOS?

I feel like I need to preface this by saying I harbor NO ill feelings to those that can afford this exclusive part of the happiest place on earth, the Club is a neat tradition for those that can afford it and to them I say, 'Enjoy!"

That said, I DO find it a tad hard to swallow that a film with messages such as:

"a gift this special just gotta be shared"
    "never, ever lose sight of what's really important" (specifically, family, not $)

...are going to be (even lightly) themed to a place prized for it's exclusivity. That just makes no sense to me.

I actually think it's one of Disney's best and most fleshed out princess stories. A beautiful and unique story (as fairy tales go) of what can happen when good people look past class warfare and just work toward what they want, and be the best of who they are. A little girl from the other side of the tracks, who carries her Father's dream through to fruition. A rich little girl whose big heart helps her friend. A Prince who realizes there is more to life than money. Rich and poor, both represented with kindness and in a joyful way. The only villains (or internal conflict) are those obsessed with their financial standing or class.

I don't post much here, but I lurk enough to know that a lot here frown on using the films for theming and that it is over done, mostly I would agree. In this case, however (and I may be alone on this) I think the theming for Tiana's Palace is a really neat idea in NOS and keeping it hidden away for just a few is inappropriate at best. Especially if it is subtle inspiration and well done (rather than cartoony) as it sounds like it may be.

The opening song end with: "rich people, poor people, all got dreams, dreams do come true in New Orleans"

ahem.

I think the bean counters and the sharp pencil boys need to "dig a little deeper" on this one.
    YESYESYESYESYES. This.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan View Post
    I've been waiting for Tiana to get more representation in New Orleans Square
    Why would Tiana be included in a place a few decades before her birth?

• Minion

Clearly the work of the time rift located around Blue Bayou
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Nutty about Disney parks

Probably the same reason why there's a British Bakery in Main Street USA.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Probably the same reason why there's a British Bakery in Main Street USA.
    Or the same reason as to why Tomorrowland is serviced a late 1800's steam locomotive

As for my opinion on the situation, I am saddened by the loss of the Court of Angels and the original Club 33 entrance, but am a bit happy that Club 33 is getting a jazz club, since the whole club is located in New Orleans. I just don't agree with their theme from The Princess and the Frog. Loved the movie but this is unwanted product placement for me.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Or the same reason as to why Tomorrowland is serviced a late 1800's steam locomotive.
    Which is placed as far into the background as possible, with the most minimalist station on the line, in an attempt to hide that fact. Besides, the train really isn't a "Tomorrowland" attraction.

The fact remains that NOS was designed to represent the New Orleans of 1866 ("When she was the 'Gay Paree' of the American Frontier")--not the New Orleans of the 1920s, which had nothing to do with the American Frontier.

• Former Churro Jockey

Hey, I can overlook the clash in time periods if the product is good. I can't say that the Princess and the Frog was my favorite Disney movie ever, but Disney knows how to tie things in an make them look appropriate. When I saw some of the artwork for the movie, I was kind of hoping for a nighttime party on the Mark Twain with Mint Julep's and live music on the nights when Fantasmic wasn't playing, and it never once occurred to me that there would be a clash in time periods.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Disney knows how to tie things in an make them look appropriate.
    I imagine there are lots of folks who disagree wholeheartedly with this statement.

In fact, I would argue that today's Disney has completely lost the ability to do this effectively.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I imagine there are lots of folks who disagree wholeheartedly with this statement.

In fact, I would argue that today's Disney has completely lost the ability to do this effectively.
    Sadly true. Today's Disney is a corporation that puts a kid's storybook British bear in the American woods, a flying nanny from London on America's Main Street, a talking cartoon fish and toy toon space ranger in Tomorrowland, and a blue space alien with anger issues in Fantasyland's world-famous ride of children singing about world peace. These guys have no problem with a modern toy puppet sheriff walking around Frontierland, much less Pixar toons about childhood monsters in California Adventure, and promoting Jerry Bruckheimer's POTC film franchise on Tom Sawyer Island. Given their total tone-deafness to theme and fanatical devotion to brand marketing, the inappropriateness of Tiana's Place in Club33 is an insignificant drop in Disneyland's leaky thematic bucket.

They're simply continuing to demonstrate their allegiance to Eisner's dictate that "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides" (and restaurants and shops and meet-and-greets and anyplace else they can hijack to push their brands), and Pressler's mandate that every square foot of Disneyland should be viewed as retail space that delivers a profit.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I'm afraid that just won't cut it...But thanks for replying at least.
    This is common knowledge amongst the members. Years and years ago I actually saw the space, and construction had begun and was halted upon Walt's death. Club 33 was finished, but not the jazz lounge. I don't have documentary proof, but I've always known about Walt's desire for a jazz lounge, and every Club CM you ask can tell you about it. I don't know that that cuts it, but I tried... :-)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    This is common knowledge amongst the members.
    Been going to Club 33 for almost two decades, only recently heard about this idea of a Jazz club. The idea that Walt wanted a jazz club above the French Market is not the same thing as saying that Walt wanted this area to be themed to a jazz club *and* turned into a part of Club 33 with CoA being the waiting area. The last CM hired by Walt Disney personally was a jazz musician who played in NOS, and sadly passed away. The French Market has often had jazz performers, makes sense in terms of fitting with theme.

I for one love the idea of a Princess and the Frog tie-in (though lament that I can't see CoA when strolling around CoA and not planning on eating at the club), kinda thought they might do that when heard a while ago that this area would be constructed upon. Dr. Facilier's courtyard (with the door to his Voodoo Emporium) is based on the Court of Angels and in the Princess and the Frog, probably my favorite animated Disney film.

They might open up hard-hat tours for club members, or put up a secret Club 33 website showing progress of the construction, I personally love watching construction projects at the parks, but also lament the loss of CoA.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    When I saw some of the artwork for the movie, I was kind of hoping for a nighttime party on the Mark Twain with Mint Julep's and live music on the nights when Fantasmic wasn't playing, and it never once occurred to me that there would be a clash in time periods.
    Funny, the clip of Louie Armstrong on the Mark Twain made me want this even more. And he represented a time period perhaps even more modern. Difference is that he was never a Disney brand.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg7cVSEfqPw

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast