Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: "Planes" have been added to Soarin

Yea Planes wasnt really that bad. Yea it coulda and shoulda went to DVD but that being said it wasnt that bad. But this intro video is pretty bad. I think they could have put a lot more effort into it.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I took my kid to see Planes and couldn't get past how bad the animation was ... The quality of the Cars films was not there. It really made you see the difference between a film done by Pixar and one that is not.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The billboard too, seriously? Ugh. Kill it with fire.

• Foolish Mortal

Poorly executed in the video, if they HAD to do it, maybe have them fly in at the beginning, and then fly out at the end, before Patrick's part. That way it wasn't beating you over the head every few seconds.

The billboard is also pretty bad as a whole and the illustration style doesn't even match.

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    I am also one of those who hasn't seen Planes yet and I wish to believe that I'm also pretty open minded. I clicked this thread with no judgement, saw the extent of the Planes 'overlay' was only restricted to the pre-show, and thought to myself, 'oh that's a cute idea.' The video was cute at first, but got incredibly ANNOYING when the planes kept showing up what seems like every 5 seconds. I would've been fine with the whole thing if it was a subtle add on. Maybe having the planes show up like a total of three times, just enough for the guests to be like, 'wait, did you see that?' and keep them wondering and watching if they actually saw a plane from Planes fly by. But the way it was done, it just seems like Disney is trying to shove Planes in our faces. It just wasn't well done, IMO.
    Kinda like the "Jack Sparrow" heavy dialogue in pirates. There isn't an understanding that subtlty will create more chatter or perhaps drive people to repeat attractions. Instead there is a fear that someone might miss the plug, which would of course be the worse thing in the world.

Of the two changes the billboard is the worst. Looks increadibly tacky.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Singing Drinker

Disney's already shackled themselves to at least one sequel, if not more (before the initial release even). I'm not surprised they're trying to up the characters' profiles in the area most likely to be associated with them. I *AM* grateful it's not a more intrusive entry, and honestly barring a complete reversal of the reaction to the franchise so far I'd honestly expect what they've added now to be gone in a year or three.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    And planes was not bad at all...
    I think you're in the minority there - and that's not necessarily a bad thing but Planes didn't do so hot overall. Just the fact that a sequel was announced prior to the first movie even hitting the big screen was a red flag. I know everything Planes related in DCA is a marketing push (as is the whole movie, really) but I don't think it did well enough to justify seeing the light of day in a Disney theme park.

• Minion

Everyone's so upset over what really amounts to nothing. What artistic value was there to the pre-safety spiel queue video that was ruined by a couple of cartoon planes? How does this affect the attraction in any way besides giving you something else to look at? Talk about an overreaction...

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Everyone's so upset over what really amounts to nothing. What artistic value was there to the pre-safety spiel queue video that was ruined by a couple of cartoon planes? How does this affect the attraction in any way besides giving you something else to look at? Talk about an overreaction...
    The problem is the "planes" being advertised in the attraction.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Even filler is part of a constructed world.

• Singing Drinker

Immediately, it's taking what has been more or less placed as a "realistic" themed area and slapped cartoon planes onto it.

The entire thrust of Condor Flats (minus being used as a Cars meet'n'greet) has been towards that goal, even including the initial build when the area shop was outfitted with more detailed theming and props than most of the rides in the park were.

This isn't a dealbreaker by any means, but it's a little grating. They're the *only* cartoonish elements currently in the area. They stand out a bit.

*edit*

I should add that the main reason this is an issue for me is that in my view this is an area that never really developed. It really feels like they came up with a basic theme which honestly seemed to be generated more to try to justify Soarin' rather than Soarin' developing because they had an idea for a ride based on the theme for the area.

I'd be very sad if they went with this DisneyToon product to give a unified theme for this area. Primarily, it's part of a "world" of which the latest addition to DCA is basically the source of - wouldn't it make more sense to put "Planes" stuff in the "Cars" land if it's from the same world? Or if you're going to tack "Planes" onto Condor Flats, why not go the extra mile and create a few plastic cast Meet'n'Greet characters as they did with Lightning and Mater eventually? Throw in some more connection rather than "here'sthesefewcharactwhoopsthey'regone" in the line film and poster?
    Last edited by BogLurch; 09-16-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

"Disney" used to be synonymous with a class act, quality family entertainment.
    Now it's becoming synonymous with what's cheap and tacky and a blatant grab for your wallet.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

If you, or any other person, doesn't mind it - no problem at all of course! It's one element of a theme park attraction. People will have differing opinions. But I'd argue, how does it effect the attraction positively either? Soarin' as conceived is about the natural and manmade scenery of California, a tribute to the state - with one overt nod to 'fantasy' at the very end as Tinkerbell appears over Disneyland only. It's a Disney attraction and the 'big finale', so most people accept that - it's 5 seconds when the rest of the runtime and build up has been 'serious'/sentimental about California's variety and history.

So, in essence, it's easy enough to look away from the pre-boarding screen perhaps if you don't find the Planes tie-ins 'tasteful' or think it benefits anything - but the motive behind adding the characters at all in this way is what is suspect, I think, and indicative of larger trends. There's no 'thought' behind how it meshes with what comes before and after - you see a tribute hallway to aviation pioneers which is very 'solemn' perhaps, museum-worthy, and then there are cartoon character planes zooming around in the video which have nothing to do with the ride itself or concept. They are there to promote sales - full stop. Not because they benefit the attraction.

The dismissal of other people disagreeing with that or thinking it is 'cheap' promotion not executed very well solely because someone sees it as 'nothing', saying essentially their opinions don't matter in thinking it affects anything, is just choosing to invalidate things you don't agree with personally and state others are 'wrong' (and you not agreeing is perfectly acceptable!). That simply doesn't further conversation productively, to not discuss why you think the video is not a big deal, but solely coming in only to discredit other people and cast aspersions on their logic - and that can go for either side of an discussion/issue, and has in the past.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    If you, or any other person, doesn't mind it - no problem at all of course! It's one element of a theme park attraction. People will have differing opinions. But I'd argue, how does it effect the attraction positively either? Soarin' as conceived is about the natural and manmade scenery of California, a tribute to the state - with one overt nod to 'fantasy' at the very end as Tinkerbell appears over Disneyland only. It's a Disney attraction and the 'big finale', so most people accept that - it's 5 seconds when the rest of the runtime and build up has been 'serious'/sentimental about California's variety and history.

So, in essence, it's easy enough to look away from the pre-boarding screen perhaps if you don't find the Planes tie-ins 'tasteful' or think it benefits anything - but the motive behind adding the characters at all in this way is what is suspect, I think, and indicative of larger trends. There's no 'thought' behind how it meshes with what comes before and after - you see a tribute hallway to aviation pioneers which is very 'solemn' perhaps, museum-worthy, and then there are cartoon character planes zooming around in the video which have nothing to do with the ride itself or concept. They are there to promote sales - full stop. Not because they benefit the attraction.

The dismissal of other people disagreeing with that or thinking it is 'cheap' promotion not executed very well solely because someone sees it as 'nothing', saying essentially their opinions don't matter in thinking it affects anything, is just choosing to invalidate things you don't agree with personally and state others are 'wrong' (and you not agreeing is perfectly acceptable!). That simply doesn't further conversation productively, to not discuss why you think the video is not a big deal, but solely coming in only to discredit other people and cast aspersions on their logic - and that can go for either side of an discussion/issue, and has in the past.
    Fantastic post, RB.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Soarin' Over California With Planes and Friends

Taking a page out of the "Living Seas" book, are we?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast