Angry Friday the 13th...JOKE!

This special "limited time event" at Disneyland was a total joke, in my opinion! I had read in a few columns that Disney had been working on this for nearly a year to make it really exciting. NOPE!

They set up a dance floor in front of the train station in Town Square, had a live DJ spinning top 40 dance music, with special lighting effects from behind. Plus, they had some photo set-ups for a few Disney Villains near the flag pole area.

Please tell me how ALL THIS (which wasn't much) took nearly a year to come up with? This entire set up they did is used for Grad Nights, Mickey's Halloween Party, and probably other events too. Infact, you can do all this (minus the photo-op with the Disney Villains) when you go to the Tomorrowland Terrace or the Mad T Party. And then there was the grid-lock in Town Square and the lack of cast members to assist with guests traffic.

For me, there was no "WOW FACTOR" at all with this event. No imagination was used to create something that could have easily been done for Friday the 13th and the villains. So what, they kept the Park open for an additional 13th hour (1am) so that guests could dance in front of the train station. Doesn't get more exciting than that, folks! (note sarcasm)

Please talk some sense into me the next time I think about wanting to do a special Disney event they host.

I will now get off my soapbox and breathe again, LOL!

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Friday the 13th...JOKE!

I posted this in another thread with the same topic, but I'll post it here too because it's relevant:

Avoid it like the plague. Anytime they do anything like this (extended hours, special entertainment, etc), you're better off staying at home. It's not worth the hassle.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

I tried the All-Nighter this year, and it was fun for me. I saw the news of this and considered it all. Just an extra hour? Not really worth it.

Like explodingboy said, AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. Something like the 24-hour parks is cool once. AND ONLY ONCE.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

•   

I was at DL during the day on Friday and opted not to stay for the nighttime events. From what I've read, DL's version was much better planned than Florida's. DL had more areas that you could take advantage of. In addition to town square there was another dance stage and DJ at the New Orlean's train station. Plus the area around HM. Tomorrowland was another. In WDW they tried to do the same thing except cram it all into the studios. It was a complete disaster. They reached capacity in the parking lot before 8:00 p.m. Those that got close to the parking lot were directed to park at EPCOT and take a bus. Traffic was backed up for hours. But then they reached capacity and closed the park anyway. I spoke to a friend who was staying at the All Star resorts and she spent over two hours on the bus trying to get to the studios. The bus driver finally gave up and made a detour to Downtown Disney to drop off those who wanted to go "some where" before returning to All Stars. She was one of thousands turned away because the park is way to small for such an event. The bus driver was on the radio begging for some help but got none. Imagine being crammed on a bus for over two hours. One woman had to change a diaper on the floor of the bus as they sat in traffic. Why not use the Magic Kingdom? They had already sold tickets for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. All in all, DL did a great job in planning. WDW was a failure.
    Leonard
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

My friend was down from the Sacramento area to visit Disneyland last Thursday and Friday. The Friday the 13th LTM event caught him be completely by surprise and from late afternoon into the evening it was gridlocked disaster, long lines, and no fun at all. After a fun day and a half, he couldn't wait to get out of Disneyland on Friday night.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

I too posted this on another thread but will share here as well.

I was there for Friday the 13th and it was a hot mess. Luckily I was in the park earlier and enjoyed many of the Halloween decorations, rides and treats. As soon 5 pm hit the crowds was insane. The line for the limited t-shirt, meet and greet with villains and dance party section was poorly organized. Getting in and out of the park was a nightmare. Given most of the activities were held near the entrance it created a bottleneck for those entering and exiting the park. I tried to get through the large crowds to see the villains and party area but it was so hard I left by 10 pm.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disney_leonard View Post
    I was at DL during the day on Friday and opted not to stay for the nighttime events. From what I've read, DL's version was much better planned than Florida's. DL had more areas that you could take advantage of. In addition to town square there was another dance stage and DJ at the New Orlean's train station. Plus the area around HM. Tomorrowland was another. In WDW they tried to do the same thing except cram it all into the studios. It was a complete disaster. They reached capacity in the parking lot before 8:00 p.m. Those that got close to the parking lot were directed to park at EPCOT and take a bus. Traffic was backed up for hours. But then they reached capacity and closed the park anyway. I spoke to a friend who was staying at the All Star resorts and she spent over two hours on the bus trying to get to the studios. The bus driver finally gave up and made a detour to Downtown Disney to drop off those who wanted to go "some where" before returning to All Stars. She was one of thousands turned away because the park is way to small for such an event. The bus driver was on the radio begging for some help but got none. Imagine being crammed on a bus for over two hours. One woman had to change a diaper on the floor of the bus as they sat in traffic. Why not use the Magic Kingdom? They had already sold tickets for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. All in all, DL did a great job in planning. WDW was a failure.
    In WDW's defense, past parties did not find the same success as DL's counterparts. The One More Disney Day was much mores subdued in Florida than in California, and the other 24-hour party did not fill up the MK. WDW had no reason to believe that DHS couldn't handle the crowds for an even that offered much less. Plus, with MNSSHP, they probably figured not as many people would be interested in this second Halloween-type event. Especially considering none of the WDW parks offer holiday overlays or anything like that. I'd say that the DHS situation was something of an anomaly really.

•   

WDW hyped their event. They also had a hard ticket Villians Friday the 13th special merchandise event going on. They make a special fireworks show part of the event. When they shoot fireworks at the studios a large area is blocked off because it's in the fallout area. So most of their event was squeezed into the area around the stage at the hat. Really a very small area for even a modest event. I also suspect that their AP's were unblocked. The weather was very nice. All factors that contributed to the mess. Disney doesn't realize how fanatic theeir guests are.
    Leonard

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disney_leonard View Post
    WDW hyped their event. They also had a hard ticket Villians Friday the 13th special merchandise event going on. They make a special fireworks show part of the event. When they shoot fireworks at the studios a large area is blocked off because it's in the fallout area. So most of their event was squeezed into the area around the stage at the hat. Really a very small area for even a modest event. I also suspect that their AP's were unblocked. The weather was very nice. All factors that contributed to the mess. Disney doesn't realize how fanatic theeir guests are.
    Right, but considering the turn-out of their past events (especially compared to Disneyland), WDW had no reason to expect a whole lot more people showing up. Especially with MNSSHP going on. The "fanatic guests" are mostly at DL, where the majority of the crowd is local.

I'm not saying they weren't unorganized, BUT the last few events like this haven't had the same amount of people show up.

•   

I believe WDW is starting to get a solid base of guests who want to see more events. My guess is that CM's made up a large portion of the crowds which is fine.The economy is improving and people are spending more on stuff like this. Some of the people who were at DL spoke to long time CM's who said it was as close to a New Year's Eve as they've ever seen. Some at WDW said that this surpassed New Year's Eve in crowds and traffic. I'm glad I stayed home.
    Leonard

• Former Churro Jockey

I worked on three different New Year's Eve's as well as the final Saturday of the Main Street Electrical Parade Farewell Season (which set a record for park attendance), and this was every bit as bad in parts of the park, but it was isolated to the villain dance parties and the Haunted Mansion. Fantasyland and Tommorrowland (other than Space Mountain) actually weren't that bad... at least according to MouseWait. I never made it anywhere other then New Orleans Square.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
    This special "limited time event" at Disneyland was a total joke, in my opinion! I had read in a few columns that Disney had been working on this for nearly a year to make it really exciting. NOPE!

They set up a dance floor in front of the train station in Town Square, had a live DJ spinning top 40 dance music, with special lighting effects from behind. Plus, they had some photo set-ups for a few Disney Villains near the flag pole area.

Please tell me how ALL THIS (which wasn't much) took nearly a year to come up with? This entire set up they did is used for Grad Nights, Mickey's Halloween Party, and probably other events too. Infact, you can do all this (minus the photo-op with the Disney Villains) when you go to the Tomorrowland Terrace or the Mad T Party. And then there was the grid-lock in Town Square and the lack of cast members to assist with guests traffic.

For me, there was no "WOW FACTOR" at all with this event. No imagination was used to create something that could have easily been done for Friday the 13th and the villains. So what, they kept the Park open for an additional 13th hour (1am) so that guests could dance in front of the train station. Doesn't get more exciting than that, folks! (note sarcasm)

Please talk some sense into me the next time I think about wanting to do a special Disney event they host.

I will now get off my soapbox and breathe again, LOL!

I think this is part of the plan, to make these events as bad as possible so that no one shows up to them.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I enjoyed the 24-hour day, but yeah, it was a mess. They really haven't got these things planned very well. And all this was was a dance party??? Meh. The Villain event sounds like it could have been fun, but it doesn't sound like they did what it could have been. Villains dancing? Meh again. I guess it's all they can do with crowds, though, and I really would hate to see everything special going to a hard-ticket event.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.