• I'm from Canada eh!

"Special" Events at the DLR.

The recent One More Disney Day and Villains Dance party special events have created quite a stir in the Disney fandom and I have to ask: Are they worth it?

I’ve never been myself, but it seams to me that they are VERY popular with the locals, but become somewhat of a failure with headaches a plenty; Traffic, no parking, insane crowds and overall bad experiences are the main concerns, but are there any redeeming factors?

I feel like it's a case of people wanting their cake and eating it too: more specifically, they want to have access to these once in a lifetime (popular) events, but do not want to deal with the other people who also want access and in turn blame Disney for not being prepared. Sure, the company has an obligation to ensure that these events are operationally sound, but how? They attempted to make an event that was open to everyone, so people complained about the crowds, so they make hard ticketed events to control access and people complain about the Extra cost.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Re: "Special" Events at the DLR.

I also wonder if the City of Anaheim should have any input to these events. Sure it brings revenue to the area, but how much does it cost tax payers what is all the extra police required to assist with traffic.

• Disney Philosopher

Special events are for the locals. I doubt many (maybe some) out of towners come for the speial events. In fact it might be a dissapointment for them (the crowds) when they get here. I don't think reservations or tickets are a bad idea. You gotta pay to play.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    I also wonder if the City of Anaheim should have any input to these events. Sure it brings revenue to the area, but how much does it cost tax payers what is all the extra police required to assist with traffic.
    Going off Al's most recent update, yes there were more police required - however...

In TDA’s defense, they pulled out every trick they had to get as much parking as was available and to keep off-duty CMs away. Earlier this summer TDA made Friday the 13th a blockout day for Cast Member sign-in passes, and Disneyland’s parking team went into the event planning for New Years Eve crowds with every tram and bus and satellite parking lot they have pressed into service and staffed to the max, with extra Anaheim traffic cops staffed at TDA’s expense at major intersections.
    Most public events are required to pay for a law enforcement presence at the level the city/police decide is appropriate. In fact, some events wind up getting forced to pay for multiple levels of the same protection (i.e., city AND county officers)
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

I know that this opinion will be controversial, but in my opinion any special event like this that Disneyland does needs to be a separately ticketed event where it can be capacity controlled. Otherwise, you end up with this kind of gridlock on the streets and in the parks, especially once all of the APers get off of work, and then it's just not fun. I can tell you that after my experience on Friday the 13th I will not be attending any other special events at Disneyland at all because it wasn't enjoyable.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Going off Al's most recent update, yes there were more police required - however...

Most public events are required to pay for a law enforcement presence at the level the city/police decide is appropriate. In fact, some events wind up getting forced to pay for multiple levels of the same protection (i.e., city AND county officers)
    I saw that too from Al's report. It was also interesting to see the AP split. If it was a Hard Ticketed event it would have been way better managed. Sure some people would not be able to experiance it, but perhaps that would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I know that this opinion will be controversial, but in my opinion any special event like this that Disneyland does needs to be a separately ticketed event where it can be capacity controlled. Otherwise, you end up with this kind of gridlock on the streets and in the parks, especially once all of the APers get off of work, and then it's just not fun. I can tell you that after my experience on Friday the 13th I will not be attending any other special events at Disneyland at all because it wasn't enjoyable.
    I agree. Simple supply and demand.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    I feel like it's a case of people wanting their cake and eating it too: more specifically, they want to have access to these once in a lifetime (popular) events, but do not want to deal with the other people who also want access and in turn blame Disney for not being prepared. Sure, the company has an obligation to ensure that these events are operationally sound, but how? They attempted to make an event that was open to everyone, so people complained about the crowds, so they make hard ticketed events to control access and people complain about the Extra cost.
    I think people can complain about theadditional hard-ticket cost all they want, and then decide either to go or not to go. Disney does not have an obligation to provide additional services essentially for free to a majority of the guests.
    Every day should be a hard-ticket event. And each day would have to be worth the cost of that hard-ticket's price, or else people won't buy them.
    That is how Disneyland can be improved.

Currently, there are a lot of people not paying enough for a day at the park. And, they are getting their money's worth, and they return for an even price to enter.

Currently, there are a lot of people paying a whole lot of money for a day at the park. And, they don't get their money's worth. And, they consider when their next trip will be, if ever.

That is a very large dichotomy of guests, and it is difficult to satisfy both parties simultaneously.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Seems like every Friday is like this. Is this so?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."