Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: What scared you at Disneyland as a child?

Not much as a kid but I went on the Rocket Jets when I was about 18-20 and I cried. I felt like I was going to fly right out of the Rocket. Embarrassed to say I sometimes get that feeling on Dumbo. My daughter laughs because I make her sit next to the opening. FYI she is 13 and the same size as me.

Just the Entrance of HM scared me. I never went on as a kid. I would just stay behind with my parents as my siblings both went on the ride.

Also, when they first showed Anjelica Huston's Character in Captain EO

The Skyway. I couldn't wait to ride it, but as soon as I got in, was terrified that I'd fall out. So, I'd scootch way down in the seat. Then after the bucket took off, and stopped swaying, I'd start to peek out, slowly sitting up more and more. By the time we hit the Matterhorn, I'd be sitting up fully, looking out/down/around, smiling with joy... but still firmly gripping the edge of the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I rode everything since I can remember - my dad was a thrill ride lover and I was his sidekick.

That being said, I would always get startled by the yeti on Matterhorn, the popping up ghosts/skeletons in HM, and Monstro in Snow White. I am still very jumpy, but those things never stopped me from loving and riding those rides!

Hey, now!! When did they move Monstro to the Snow White ride? Lol!!

Ride: Submarine Voyage
    Reason: Fear of the sub imploding while at 20,000 fathoms and me not knowing how to swim at that age.
    "Maybe the definition of home is the place where you are never forgiven, so you may always belong there, bound my guilt. And maybe the cost of belonging is worth it."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    It seems like now they have a light shining on the water at the bottom of the drop, so you can see the water. I remember it as being totally dark when I was a kid, so you had no idea where you were going or how long the drop was going to be - making it scarier.
    Isn't that backwards? We're talking about the first PotC drop, right? In recent years it has always been pitch black when I've been on it. As a kid, I remember it being lit. In fact, here's a YouTube video I found from 1990 that shows it was pretty well lit then, at least at the bottom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QED8E-p7WTo. (I was grown by then, but still, it shows it was lit in the past. I'm certain it was the same in the '70s and '80s.) The drop is at about 2:50.

i remember waiting in the cue for space mountain when i was little. at that time (early to mid 80s), the cue was dark and there were smoked glass panels along the walls that revealed the ride. this is the area of the cue that after the 2005 refit was completely enclosed, and during the awful fed ex 90s had those obnoxious televisions showing larry the rocket salesman. anyway, you could feel the rumble of the ride and see the large orange orb in the center of the ride (since removed). and the cars had glow in the dark stripes on them (also since removed) so you could watch all the "spacecraft" fly around. standing there, watching this, hands on the smoked glass, always scared me. i also have memories of taking the people mover through the tron tunnel and there was a window where you could look in on space mountain and see that same orange orb in the middle. that orb was sort of the symbol of the scariness of space mountain for me at that age.

• Former Churro Jockey

Hey! I kind of liked Larry the Rocket Salesman...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyblue View Post
    Hey, now!! When did they move Monstro to the Snow White ride? Lol!!
    That was the scary part!! Man, I'm on a roll with mixing things up in my posts lately.

Monstro in Pinocchio*** Hehe thanks for catching that!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I haven't been to DLR since I was a teen and will be there next week with my kids ages 12 & 8 for their first trip. I am now interested to see what rides they are scared of! Is that horrible??? LOL I know I am pretty scared to try ToT for some reason. I will do it cause I have to try it at least once but I am not sure I will do it more than once!

• Foolish Mortal

I also remember being scared of Monstro!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ADDel View Post
    Also, when they first showed Anjelica Huston's Character in Captain EO
    Holy Bonkers!! I just had a repressed childhood memory come back all of a sudden
    "Maybe the definition of home is the place where you are never forgiven, so you may always belong there, bound my guilt. And maybe the cost of belonging is worth it."

• The "zip" in your doo dah

Ghosts, drops, loud noises ... none of that scared me.

People walking around gnawing on giant turkey legs ... now that's just creepy.

Haunted Mansion and Indiana Jones Adventure, mainly because my cousins would describe them in the worst possible ways. And having seen the Disneyland Fun Grim Grinning Ghosts before didn't make it better. I thought that was scary! haha! So as a child, I actually never went on HM or IJA.

Quote Originally Posted by lindyv321 View Post
    I haven't been to DLR since I was a teen and will be there next week with my kids ages 12 & 8 for their first trip. I am now interested to see what rides they are scared of! Is that horrible??? LOL I know I am pretty scared to try ToT for some reason. I will do it cause I have to try it at least once but I am not sure I will do it more than once!
    lol. Not all too horrible. ToT is honestly not so bad. It sure looks intimidating but its not as bad as other drop attractions that are similar to it. ToT is a fun experience. Very nicely themed and the cast members are fun.
    "I will do it cause I have to try it at least once"
    This is the best attitude anyone can have about riding any attraction. Anyway, have fun when you're there!
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

I thought Space Mountain actually sent you in to space. I figured you had to hold your breath and I couldn't hold my breath for 10 seconds as a kid.

I also thought the dinosaurs on the DLRR were real.
    Last edited by carterjakep; 09-19-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added Second Fear

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast