Tips for Photographing Disneyland Without Getting Halloween Decor In Shot?(+Pictures)

This may be a silly question to ask, since it is nearing Halloween and it is to be expected, really, but I have to ask anyways. Are there any tips for taking photographs of Disneyland without the Halloween Decor getting in the way, or at least not being a very prominent feature of said photograph?

The reason I ask is because of a school project. I made a thread about it a while ago right here. Basically, I am making a slideshow project centered around Disneyland, taking photographs of the many lands and compiling them all to music and such. And as a personal preference, I really wanted a vanilla Disneyland experience in my slideshow, only taking pictures of the Halloween Decor when time constraints limit me.

I honestly meant to go to Disneyland earlier to take pictures before the Halloween Decor came in, but I had to stay at home due to various reasons, ranging from finishing late night homework to studying for next week's test, etc. By the time my schedule was free enough to go and take pictures (Sunday, September 15) the Halloween Decorations have already been put up and now I have to deal with those consequences.

The good news is that most of the other lands haven't been hit by a lot of Halloween Decor, with only Main Street USA being a big contender. Unfortunately, the Main Street Decor has been really obstructive in my quest for photos. Close up shots of shop signage are now covered in orange, black, and pumpkins, as well as store windows. I also wanted a nice shot of the Disneyland Band around the flagpole when they preform, but the giant Mickey Pumpkin Head that is in each and every shot is a bit much. Any tips for taking photographs of Disneyland (Mainly Main Street USA) without the Halloween Decor being upfront and center? It's been very difficult for me since they are literally in every nook and cranny of the place, especially in places that I wanted to photograph the most. And the colors of black and orange really stick out like a sore thumb, even from far away.

I need help. Anything is very much appreciated. And if I cannot get any pictures that I desire, I will have to roll with Halloween Decor in my shots.

Well, at least I still got good shots of other parts of the park that were not decorated yet. I might as well share some of them with you.

This shot is a personal favorite of mine. I was just waltzing by and I looked upon a docked Mark Twain during the sunset, and I loved the colors, especially on the streets in the background and how they contrasted with the cool shaded river in the forefront. I'm also amazed at how clear it came out, seeing that it was taken with a camera phone.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Johnny and Me!

Re: Tips for Photographing Disneyland Without Getting Halloween Decor In Shot?(+Pictu

Try taking pictures of the store interiors that aren't decorated. You could also photograph some of the window signage. Also, try to catch the Disneyland Band in front of the castle at around 11:00.

• formerly very helpful

Re: Tips for Photographing Disneyland Without Getting Halloween Decor In Shot?(+Pictu

If necessary, would you be allowed to use photos others have taken? Or do they have to be your own, since I'm sure you could find lots on the Internet, or maybe some would be willing to let you use theirs.

I can use pictures from the internet, but would very much prefer to take them myself. It would be easier to take them from online and then credit the original photographers in the credits, but taking them myself feels a bit more personal for me. Like it's something special for me if I know I took them. Hope you understand my vibe.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• #bringevilback

I love that last photo of the Mark Twain!

• Down Pluto!

The obvious solution is to not take pictures between September 1st and November 7th. But then you will have Christmas decorations until January. Not a workable solution though...

If you prefer your own photos, then cropping seems like it may work for some. You may need to get some unusual angles and tighter shots to keep the décor just out of frame - or near enough to crop.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    I can use pictures from the internet, but would very much prefer to take them myself. It would be easier to take them from online and then credit the original photographers in the credits, but taking them myself feels a bit more personal for me. Like it's something special for me if I know I took them. Hope you understand my vibe.
    i understand where you are coming from. Just brainstorming ideas.

• Loves Disney

Bongo first of all I love the mark twain shot, second I would possibly consider for Main Street you could shoot in black and white that way the Halloween colors are no longer a distraction and give your shot of a period feel, for the marching band try shooting images as the march down Mainstreet or when playing at the flag pole shoot towards the train station. Just a few ideas I got

Well the specific lands excluding mainstreet USA are generally not decorated heavily. As long as you avoid taking pictures of lampposts or the haunted mansion/space mountain, you should be ok. Otherwise, Disneyland has been photographed so heavily that you might want to consider using images other people have taken. (Giving them credit obviously.)
    if ye be brave or fool enough to face a pirate's curse, proceed.

Download the free (and open source) program GIMP and learn to use the "clone" tool to erase the Halloween decorations and/or cut out non-Halloween parts of images and mosaic them together.

gimp.org

• Minion

Use selective compositions and try to focus on smaller details that don't show the decorations. Also focusing on parts of the park like Fantasyland or Tomorrowland that don't have any decorations can help.

If you use a DSLR, try to take advantage of depth of field. Use a large aperture and get close to your subject so the background just becomes a blur.

If you do end up trying to use other peoples images from the internet, you need to ask their permission first. Simply using them and crediting them in the credits is not enough. (legally and ethically speaking)

Have fun!
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com