Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

• MaliBOOMer

MiceAge Update: Disability Assistance System

MiceAge Disneyland Update - Park It

The big topic in the new update is the DAS

According to the update GAC are going to slip away into the ever growing past and the new system is going to roll out October 9th. I am very happy with the new system described and do believe this will dramatically reduce abuse No more unlimited Fast Passes.

What is your opinion?
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-17-2013 at 03:02 AM.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Re: MiceAge Update: Disability Assistance System

It doesn't sound like a bad idea frankly. The only thing I can see is that it could take a long time each day to get a new one if they are taking and printing digital photos of each DAS holder to put with it. Frankly, if they are going to do that then why not make the DAS useable for a week straight? They hint at that possibility if you prove a hotel stay, which is a start. I have friends with issues that come down two to three times a year and stay with local family and visit for several days at a time, since they cannot take a whole day there. Perhaps if you show an out of state license they might be inclined to extend it for your whole planned visit. But the rest I cannot see as a bad thing at all. And it actually would be helpful for some lines where the wait is longer then the standby, like Pirates. Allowing a person with special needs not to have to wait such a long time in a line but instead are free to be off taking it easy and relaxing until a the return time and then walk on sounds like an improvement. And while it's true that it may cause a longer then the previous wait for some rides, again the wait is not in line, so I see that as a benefit.
    “Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”

• Chief Troublemaker

I see this as an improvement in Disney's ability to prevent fraud by lessening the appearance of a GAC as an unlimited fast pass. I know that many GAC users say that their wait is actually longer in many cases, but part of that could be due to undeserving people clogging up those lines. It will be interesting to see how it rolls out considering Disney's past history of not saying 'No' to guests. This will be a real change on their part if they plan to stick to their new system. I really believe that most, if not all, 'real' (for lack of a better word) GAC users will probably grumble at first at having to re-visit a central kiosk for a new pass (although it's not unlike the rest of us having to visit a fastpass machine, pull a ticket, then head off to do other things), but I'm sure it'll soon be routine. As usual, I'm afraid the ones that will pitch a fit are the people who have taken advantage of the GAC in the past and are used to being able to raise a stink to get their own way.

I'm also sure that, as with all changes, the new system will be tweaked as time goes on in response to valid criticisms from the disabled community. I feel for the CMs that are going to be frontline for implementing this new system. I certainly hope they will receive REAL backup from their leads.

I, too, am interested in the opinions of the disabled members of the MC community in regards to this new system. I've shied away from getting a GAC in the past (stairs) due to the negative comments I've seen/heard. Hopefully, this new system will eliminate not only fraud, but the negativity attached to GAC in the past.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Disney ended up in the mess they are in because it was the easy way to handle the solution. I just don't see the significant cultural changes that will prevent them from again going for what is easiest.

• Special Agent

The changes are mostly good ideas, but the truth is that the GAC/DAS is always going to offer something that the regular paying park guests can't get and will therefore desire. Even just getting to ride 15 minutes early will still encourage abuse, and no one really mentioned if they will be allowed to collect regular fast passes in addition to using the DAS where the fast pass queues are wheelchair accessible.

And despite whatever their intentions are this time around, they simply cannot deny someone in a wheelchair a pass because they are in a wheelchair. Whatever medical condition that would necessitate a DAS pass could inflict anyone wheelchair or not.

I can foresee a change in the questioning with regard to getting the pass, but once you learn the correct phrasing it will be easier to get one. And then this new system becomes just as bad as the three previous systems did.

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    The changes are mostly good ideas, but the truth is that the GAC/DAS is always going to offer something that the regular paying park guests can't get and will therefore desire. Even just getting to ride 15 minutes early will still encourage abuse, and no one really mentioned if they will be allowed to collect regular fast passes in addition to using the DAS where the fast pass queues are wheelchair accessible.

And despite whatever their intentions are this time around, they simply cannot deny someone in a wheelchair a pass because they are in a wheelchair. Whatever medical condition that would necessitate a DAS pass could inflict anyone wheelchair or not.

I can foresee a change in the questioning with regard to getting the pass, but once you learn the correct phrasing it will be easier to get one. And then this new system becomes just as bad as the three previous systems did.
    I agree, some will make an effort to figure out the system and abuse it.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    no one really mentioned if they will be allowed to collect regular fast passes in addition to using the DAS where the fast pass queues are wheelchair accessible.
    I believe the article did state that any DAS user will also be able to pull regular Fastpasses as well.

This sounds like a good compromise, especially with the addition of adding photo ID to the pass. I unfortunately know personally a few people who have 100% abused this system and bragged about it, and perhaps this new approach will make them less likely to attempt abuse again.

I do agree that there will probably be an uproar regarding the presence of a wheelchair meaning the person using it won't be allowed a DAS in wheelchair accessible rides, although perhaps that thinking is to reduce wheelchair abuse. (I at least know one person who faked a sprained ankle to use a wheelchair at DLR.)

I'm on cloud nine. There is no perfect solution to the problems with the GAC system. But I think this new setup will reduce the amount of abuse going on, while still granting accommodations that go above and beyond what the ADA requires for guests with legitimate disabilities. If we're really lucky, the simple fact that there is a change may even provoke a few people to reconsider their selfish dishonesty.

If all goes well, we can expect lines across both parks to start moving a little more quickly, especially on certain days of the week and times of the year when flocks of dubious GAC holders tend to show up.

The worst effect will be the increased yelling that cast members in the parks will have to deal with. But that comes with the territory. It'll probably get better after a few weeks or months anyway.

It sure would be nice to see other park guest support the CM's and bark down the people who feel they are special. I am on disability retirement and have never used the GAC or any assistance program and have a hard time standing in line for long periods of time due to a back injury, I also refuse to be wheeled around or drive a motorized chair...call me stubborn or grin and bare it, the DAS is at least a step in the right direction and should speed the lines up so I don't have to stand so long and help everybody enjoy the parks more relaxed.
    If your looking for Alice she's not here...

It is sad the abuse has been so severe, and that those people have ruined it for those of us that truly need some form of accomodation. The proposed system sounds fair, and should cut down on the abuse, but I certainly have some concerns.

It wonder what attractions are included for the DAS return pass, and if they plan to have it available for just major attractions, or include some minor attractions, or include all attractions. How will they apply it to those w/o fastpass entrances? There are several low volume rides that do not have fastpass entrances my kids love that if not included may be completely off the table for us, like the Finding Nemo ride, Gadget Go Coaster, Mater's. My son is simply not capable waiting in a 45 minute que.

I don't mind the idea of a DAS that must have the person's photo and must be renewed each visit, but they MUST have enough CMs at guest services to manage it. I am not going to be happy if my first wait of the day is a 45min line at City Hall

I also hope there is enough CMs at these "kiosks" that we don't have to wait 20min just to get a return pass.
    Last edited by dragondad; 09-17-2013 at 08:55 AM.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebergha View Post
    I believe the article did state that any DAS user will also be able to pull regular Fastpasses as well.

This sounds like a good compromise, especially with the addition of adding photo ID to the pass. I unfortunately know personally a few people who have 100% abused this system and bragged about it, and perhaps this new approach will make them less likely to attempt abuse again.

I do agree that there will probably be an uproar regarding the presence of a wheelchair meaning the person using it won't be allowed a DAS in wheelchair accessible rides, although perhaps that thinking is to reduce wheelchair abuse. (I at least know one person who faked a sprained ankle to use a wheelchair at DLR.)

Hmmm, I'd be interested to hear what those dishonest people you know have to think about the changes, too. LOL

The overall effect of this should be that there will be no more drastically shorter wait times, which IMHO is what most dishonest people were lying to get a GAC for. The new DAS system means one will wait (approximately) the same amount of time as a non-DAS guest PLUS having to keep returning to a special kiosk location for new passes.

Nothing will change as far as someone being able to get a DAS by lying. Disney still cannot ask for documentation and will still have to accept someone's word that they have a disability. They've just removed part of the incentive for lying. Some people may still think it's worth the lies to be able to get a DAS pass & a regular fast pass for different ride.

I have to admit, I don't understand the part about people with mobility assists not being able to get a DAS. I understand for rides that are fully ADA compliant they will use the regular queue, which is as it should be. But I don't understand why they wouldn't get a DAS for non-ADA rides.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Singing Drinker

I'm all for this. It fits everything I'd hoped for when they started talking about rebuilding the system. I'm looking forward to hearing from a few of my friends who (legitimately) use the GAC system to get their impressions though. They have to use it, their mileage may vary.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I asked this in the other thread about the update, but I might have missed it reading the article; but this new DAS, is there a party limit like the old GAC? Or is it only eligible for the person who requires the DAS?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• #bringevilback

The only problem I could foresee, beside the potential 45 minute initial wait time to get the pass, is, on rides like Pirates or Space where the line tends to be longer anyway due to restrictions on how many can be on the ride at a time, after waiting the specified time on the card, there will still be a huge line at the ride. They aren't regulating how many they give out like Fastpass does, just going off of the current wait, so that could be a potential problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Hmmm, I'd be interested to hear what those dishonest people you know have to think about the changes, too. LOL

The overall effect of this should be that there will be no more drastically shorter wait times, which IMHO is what most dishonest people were lying to get a GAC for. The new DAS system means one will wait (approximately) the same amount of time as a non-DAS guest PLUS having to keep returning to a special kiosk location for new passes.

Nothing will change as far as someone being able to get a DAS by lying. Disney still cannot ask for documentation and will still have to accept someone's word that they have a disability. They've just removed part of the incentive for lying. Some people may still think it's worth the lies to be able to get a DAS pass & a regular fast pass for different ride.

I have to admit, I don't understand the part about people with mobility assists not being able to get a DAS. I understand for rides that are fully ADA compliant they will use the regular queue, which is as it should be. But I don't understand why they wouldn't get a DAS for non-ADA rides.
    I haven't talked about it with any of the people I know who have abused the system, but you are spot on - their reasoning behind the abuse to begin with was the incentive of being able to bypass all lines or having very little wait time. Now that it will be changing and that incentive will go away, I can't see them still lying to get a DAS.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast