Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: Al Report: Friday the 13th, DAS Update, Parking Situation Update, Monstroplis, an

I'm not really pro on Tomorrowland just becoming a Star Wars land, but the idea of a working Tatooine Cantina gets me all excited on the inside. Just putting that out there. They should rip out the Pizza Port and stick the Cantina there.

The improved DAS system sounds promising as well. Let's hope the CMs are allowed to stick to policy for once. But I also question, did they revamp the guest limits or can people still bring as many with them as they want? I will never forget watching the party of 12 cut in front of me on BTMM with one GAC card holder.

And sorry, but I'm still not a fan of Monstropolis. I find it incredibly unnecessary and with soon to be three major Pixar lands (Monstropolis, Bug's Land, and Cars Land) and Toy Story Mania, they might as well retheme DCA into Pixar Playland.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Al Report: Friday the 13th, DAS Update, Parking Situation Update, Monstroplis, an

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    1. I will never understand why they even bothered to continue to call the park CALIFORNIA Adventure .. when .. it's all about PIXAR. From Cars, to Bugs Land, and next Monstropolis ... just change the name of the park to Pixar Adventure .. and be done with it!
    There's no need to repeat "Disney's Pixar Adventure" in every thread. We get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    Personally, DCA should be leveled and start over.
    Oh, one better.

How about discussing THIS article and not replaying these broken records?

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    Everything I've read about the door coaster from when they were considering it for The Studios park in Orlando to now is that it is a genuine thrill ride with elaborate show scenes at the beginning. I had heard that the main reason it wasn't approved for the Studios was because of their heavy thrill ratio they already had, so Midway Mania was approved instead.
    sweet thanks

1. I will never understand why they even bothered to continue to call the park CALIFORNIA Adventure .. when .. it's all about PIXAR. From Cars, to Bugs Land, and next Monstropolis ... just change the name of the park to Pixar Adventure .. and be done with it! This 2017 opening date is ridiculous. FOUR years away ... that's IF they do it. Yet, Universal in Florida can do this in ONE year - Construction Update: Wizarding World’s Hogwarts Express track and Diagon Alley expansion from above - Orlando Attractions Magazine
    To me, it seems, the park is becoming more an adventure inspired by California, not necessarily themed specifically to it. There are still plenty of non-Pixar attractions--Muppets, Aladdin, Tower of Terror, Little Mermaid, Soarin', Grizzly Rapids, Goofy's Sky School, CA Screamin'--where it would make no more sense to call it Pixar Adventure.

I agree that the CA idea was poor and limiting. But changing the name would take a huge marketing push. The basic CA inspiration is still in place, they're just finding ways to expand it.

2. This Star Wars rumor continues on ... but with no other confirmation from any other website. If it's true .... they talk about a Tatooine Cantina "interactive attraction" ... does anyone remember the dusty, dirty, desert structure looking more like a cave in a desert town, than something that looks futuristic, and a proper fit for TL? IF any of this is true ... if they don't carefully tone down the intrusiveness of more of a "Star Wars" presence in Tomorrowland ... I'm going to be one very disappointed fan. If this is truly the course they are set on .. for one of Disneyland's original 5 lands - I'll be FUMING!

For the record -

I didn't find that funny or amusing at all!
    If we're going to be honest, anything that happened "a long long time ago" does not belong in Tomorrowland. But Star Wars is something that has proven to be incredibly popular.

Why is the Death Star comment so offensive. Perhaps I'm dense. Seemed rather innocuous to me.

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    There's no need to repeat "Disney's Pixar Adventure" in every thread. We get it.

Oh, one better.

Thank You, Oh CA police officer for keeping us in line.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thank You, Oh CA police officer for keeping us in line.
    Personally, DCA should be leveled and start over.
    This really does nothing to further along the conversation.

I really wish that Tomorrowland could be redone with a steampunk vibe but that ship has sailed. But, whenever I see people dressed up in steampunk costumes with the fun hats and everything I just think "wouldn't that be cool if they had Tomorrowland populated with people like that"...where the "Tomorrow" would be a tomorrow that never was, based on all those Jules Vern books. Sort of like that Paris "Discoveryland".

Or a Tomorrowland that is very retro 1960s...but with aliens in it and people in outfits like Star Trek. That could be fun too...a land that was what the people of the 60s thought the future would be. Really celebrate the retro of it and don't try to update it ever.

But, I don't think Star Wars should take over all of Tomorrowland. I wish Star Wars could be a sub-land, kind of off to the side as its own thing the way Cars Land is its own thing at DCA. I'd also like to see some original rides in Tomorrowland that would have their own stories, like Haunted Mansion and Pirates had their own stories.

I wish there was a ride in Tomorrowland where you were in the labs of a great inventor. And you experienced his inventions. Make these things that are so beyond our capabilities that they will always be futuristic. Stuff like:

* traveling to other planets for vacations (we're never going to have this, not for hundreds of years)
    * shrinking down to tiny size
    * traveling back through time (since I think it would be cool to have a dinosaur adventure in Tomorrowland)
    * an alien zoo dark ride where you can see what life on other planets would look like (I actually think the subs could be reconfigured to be on an alien water planet or on the moon Europa)
    * journey to the center of the Earth in a big mining/drill ship (teach about geology while going on an adventure underground)

I kind of wish that all the rides in Tomorrowland had some kind of educational component to them. Still be fun, but get kids to be excited about science and learning while riding the rides. I'd love for kids to leave Tomorrowland excited about learning more about the science behind the things in the rides.

I know Disney will never do any of this, but boy do I have high hopes for that George Clooney Tomorrowland movie that's coming out next year. I just want that movie to be a huge hit and really inspire imagination. I'd give anything to have Tomorrowland get an amazing backstory...so that maybe the land could be redone with that backstory. It needs it.

The other lands kind of serve themselves well: Adventureland is a jungle land where you can experience wildlife (Jungle Cruise), exotic entertainment (Tiki Room), see a treehouse (Tarzan), and experience and adventure (Indy). Frontierland is cowboys and western stuff. New Orleans Square is the spooky and elegant and French/Creole/Cajun inspired land. Fantasyland is magic and medieval things and fairytale characters.

To me, Tomorrowland should be: the land at Disneyland where kids get excited about science and invention and imagine inventions that could be possible hundreds of years from now, like time travel, shrinking, travel to other planets, exobiology, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    I really wish that Tomorrowland could be redone with a steampunk vibe but that ship has sailed. But, whenever I see people dressed up in steampunk costumes with the fun hats and everything I just think "wouldn't that be cool if they had Tomorrowland populated with people like that"...where the "Tomorrow" would be a tomorrow that never was, based on all those Jules Vern books. Sort of like that Paris "Discoveryland".

Or a Tomorrowland that is very retro 1960s...but with aliens in it and people in outfits like Star Trek. That could be fun too...a land that was what the people of the 60s thought the future would be. Really celebrate the retro of it and don't try to update it ever.

But, I don't think Star Wars should take over all of Tomorrowland. I wish Star Wars could be a sub-land, kind of off to the side as its own thing the way Cars Land is its own thing at DCA. I'd also like to see some original rides in Tomorrowland that would have their own stories, like Haunted Mansion and Pirates had their own stories.

I wish there was a ride in Tomorrowland where you were in the labs of a great inventor. And you experienced his inventions. Make these things that are so beyond our capabilities that they will always be futuristic. Stuff like:

* traveling to other planets for vacations (we're never going to have this, not for hundreds of years)
    * traveling back through time (since I think it would be cool to have a dinosaur adventure in Tomorrowland)
    * an alien zoo dark ride where you can see what life on other planets would look like (I actually think the subs could be reconfigured to be on an alien water planet or on the moon Europa)
    * journey to the center of the Earth in a big mining/drill ship (teach about geology while going on an adventure underground)

I kind of wish that all the rides in Tomorrowland had some kind of educational component to them. Still be fun, but get kids to be excited about science and learning while riding the rides. I'd love for kids to leave Tomorrowland excited about learning more about the science behind the things in the rides.

I know Disney will never do any of this, but boy do I have high hopes for that George Clooney Tomorrowland movie that's coming out next year. I just want that movie to be a huge hit and really inspire imagination. I'd give anything to have Tomorrowland get an amazing backstory...so that maybe the land could be redone with that backstory. It needs it.

The other lands kind of serve themselves well: Adventureland is a jungle land where you can experience wildlife (Jungle Cruise), exotic entertainment (Tiki Room), see a treehouse (Tarzan), and experience and adventure (Indy). Frontierland is cowboys and western stuff. New Orleans Square is the spooky and elegant and French/Creole/Cajun inspired land. Fantasyland is magic and medieval things and fairytale characters.

To me, Tomorrowland should be: the land at Disneyland where kids get excited about science and invention and imagine inventions that could be possible hundreds of years from now, like time travel, shrinking, travel to other planets, exobiology, etc.
    Honey I shrunk the audience, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Innoventions

• Disney Philosopher

^ You know you are right on this. What's funny is DL can't seem to figure it out, YET some of the top science museums can really get a grasp on the future. Although the future is really out of our grasp, because we never arrive.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Good post. This helps further along the conversation! Thank you.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post

Oh, one better.

I can do both:

Compared to an average busy summer day six weeks ago, when an 80,000 combined attendance was average but only 12,000 of those are Annual Passholders due to summer blockouts, the Friday night frenzy caused by Annual Passholders is a uniquely off-season phenomenon.
    You know what the solution is.

Besides the obvious one, there is: If you're having a "special night," then make everyone pay extra for it.

Same with parking: To get more people per vehicle, the parking cost has to be higher. And I'm not referring to the listed price at the parking entrance. That's actually too high.
    Last edited by sediment; 09-17-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    You know what the solution is.

Besides the obvious one, there is: If you're having a "special night," then make everyone pay extra for it.
    If they double the admission rates and the AP amounts that might help thin it out.

Just like when gas soared over $5 a gallon the freeways thinned out.

I would be willing to pay $1k for an AP with no crowds.

• Minion

I'm not sure what people are complaining about, just the idea of Monsters coming into that area of the Hollywoodland? That area is so small and there isn't much that can be done with it. PIXAR is a huge money maker for Disney and the movies produced usually win Best Animated feature for a reason. I remember when the idea of Cars Land was first introduced here at Micechat and most people were in an uproar/stink about it. And now that land is hailed to probably be one of the most impressive lands that Disney has done state side. I'll hold judgements about Monsters coming in til we have a little more information, but so far it can fit the theme of Hollywood, it's a movie after all.

I think they should just change the name of Tomororwland to Discoverland like that of Disneyland Paris. This would allow the imagineers to really have creative control, then to try to meet up with rising technology every 5 years or so.
    Jeff Wayne

• Rock Star Minion

If they double the admission rates and the AP amounts that might help thin it out.

Just like when gas soared over $5 a gallon the freeways thinned out.

I would be willing to pay $1k for an AP with no crowds.
    I don't think you understand what the obvious solution is.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I think they should just change the name of Tomororwland to Discoverland like that of Disneyland Paris. This would allow the imagineers to really have creative control, then to try to meet up with rising technology every 5 years or so.
    No they wouldn't. That is a concept out of Yesterland.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast