Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Disney Philosopher

Re: Al Report: Friday the 13th, DAS Update, Parking Situation Update, Monstroplis, an

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I don't think you understand what the obvious solution is.
    I guess I'm missing it...splain
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• Minion

Re: Al Report: Friday the 13th, DAS Update, Parking Situation Update, Monstroplis, an

I love Star Wars but this hybrid sounding Star Wars land in Tomorrowland thing they have floating around doesn't really do it for me. For Star Wars I want a WWoHP type land for it. That is either levelling all of TL which I am against OR putting it in the 3rd park which we won't see for a long time which is why they are going the route they are going by shoe horning it into TL.

I'd rather they retheme ALL of TL for Star Wars if it has to go in DL. That would mean a retheme of Space Mountain and Buzz to Star Wars themes and then you are left with the dilemma of the subs/autopia/monorail you could move the subs to FL maybe but not the monorail and autopia really.

As far as the monster's thing goes. I wouldn't mind it really the theme of DCA is definetely loose already and I have abandoned the idea of them staying in a all CA theme. The name still fits though Disney's CA Adventure it's a theme park in CA. I know it's not how it was born but it is what it is now. Changing the name to Pixar's place or anything liek that wouldn't fit either if you look at all the attractions. Most obvious being Paradise Pier.

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    As for the park's "theme", I don't think Disney is trying to have DCA be "California-themed" anymore. Most of that California theming was removed in the upgrade to DCA 2.0. To me, the park stopped trying to be "California-themed" when they took down the big postcard letters from the entrance.
    do most people feel this way? yes, the amount of california-related puns has dwindled significantly, but those really did nothing to actually add to the california theme, it was all just a cheesy caricature of california. DCA 2.0 feels so much more authentically california to me.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    do most people feel this way? yes, the amount of california-related puns has dwindled significantly, but those really did nothing to actually add to the california theme, it was all just a cheesy caricature of california. DCA 2.0 feels so much more authentically california to me.
    There are a few areas that really do get "California" to me - but they're holdovers from the original park. The SF corridor by Mermaid through Grizzly River at this point, but it's still nicely done.

For the most part though I do feel that they're ditching the CA part of the theme though. I don't really mind - I was always rather confused by why it was necessary to begin with.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    There are a few areas that really do get "California" to me - but they're holdovers from the original park. The SF corridor by Mermaid through Grizzly River at this point, but it's still nicely done.

For the most part though I do feel that they're ditching the CA part of the theme though. I don't really mind - I was always rather confused by why it was necessary to begin with.
    No they're not ditching the CA part of the theme; otherwise explain Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle and the other placemaking.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    I guess I'm missing it...splain
    Sediment plays his own broken record: He's opposed to the Annual Passport program.

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Sediment plays his own broken record: He's opposed to the Annual Passport program.
    Oh...thanks
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• Singing Drinker

No they're not ditching the CA part of the theme; otherwise explain Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle and the other placemaking.
    "Most part". I don't believe they're entirely abandoning it, otherwise I'd have expected the area around Mermaid to have become Triton's palace closer to the TDS Mermaid "land".

My personal belief is that they're going to land somewhere in the vicinity of Disneyland's concept - the entry area (Main/BV) keyed to a more realistic, grounded environment with the surrounding areas varying in levels of fantasy in their interpretations. It allows for more flexibility in the ride selection as well as things such as the Pixar-themed lands and rides with other 'fantasy' intrusions such as Mermaid and Toy Story Mania.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I don't buy any of this. Monstropolis doesn't fit, Pixar is not the theme, They shouldn't bulldoze the park, they should keep the AP program. I'm a little tired of hearing all these arguments on every thread on every subject.

• Singing Drinker

I don't buy any of this. Monstropolis doesn't fit, Pixar is not the theme, They shouldn't bulldoze the park, they should keep the AP program. I'm a little tired of hearing all these arguments on every thread on every subject.
    My apologies then. I wasn't aware that I was making any of these claims beyond at most that Pixar IPs aren't exactly "California" themed and that backing away from that as an overarching and defining theme for the park gives them a lot more flexibility.

If I somehow managed to sound like I was at all implying that I wanted the park demolished (I don't), that I feel APs should be removed (I don't) or anything beyond that my apologies. I do believe you may be reading a bit much into my reply.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Bog, I meant that to the general population. We finally have some NEWS to discuss and the thread is getting clogged up with all the same posts that have made up the lion's share of the rest of the Disneyland Lounge threads.

What I want to know, is what's going to happen to Tomorrowland? Are DCA and Disneyland each getting another expansion before any construction starts at the future third gate? How will the new ARC (streetcar) and parking garages fit into the puzzle?

• Rock Star Minion

Bog, I meant that to the general population. We finally have some NEWS to discuss and the thread is getting clogged up with all the same posts that have made up the lion's share of the rest of the Disneyland Lounge threads.

What I want to know, is what's going to happen to Tomorrowland? Are DCA and Disneyland each getting another expansion before any construction starts at the future third gate? How will the new ARC (streetcar) and parking garages fit into the puzzle?
    Well, no one knows those other things. Al (I think it's Al) gives us more than anyone here could provide.

The obvious solution to all DL problems has not yet been implemented. Until it is, we'll never now how much better DL would be to visit. Again, it is the AP Program's existence that caused the Friday-the-13 problems. I'll point out the obvious every time, because, as we just discovered, some posters still don't know what it is.
    And, yes, I'll have to post this disclaimer, because posters sometimes are not aware: I have nothing against those who purchase AP's and use them as much as they are allowed to. The AP Program is just too good of a deal for something as wonderful as Disneyland is supposed to be.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I think they should just change the name of Tomororwland to Discoverland like that of Disneyland Paris. This would allow the imagineers to really have creative control, then to try to meet up with rising technology every 5 years or so.
    They didn't change the name, but the theme of the 1998 Tomorrowland was "The Future That Never Was And Always Will Be". So they've already given up on trying to make it a vision of the future. Now they are just celebrating visions of the future that never happened but are much cooler then what we actually got. In essence, it is Discoveryland except it's not tied to only the Renaissance vision of the future.

Innoventions is the only thing that is supposed to predict the actual future. It was supposed to be an ever evolving showcase of real products that are going to be out in the marketplace approximately 6 months from when they are displayed at Innoventions. Sort of a cool idea, but obviously it has proven to be impractical to change all of the displays at Innoventions ever few months.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    I really wish this Monstropolis rumor would die.
    It's no longer a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    Personally, DCA should be leveled and start over.
    I used to say this, too. You'll get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Perhaps I missed it reading the update but does the new DAS have a party limit? Or does it only apply to the person who needs the DAS?
    I think the same party limit still applies, they're just running a tighter ship now.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Well, no one knows those other things. Al (I think it's Al) gives us more than anyone here could provide.

The obvious solution to all DL problems has not yet been implemented. Until it is, we'll never now how much better DL would be to visit. Again, it is the AP Program's existence that caused the Friday-the-13 problems. I'll point out the obvious every time, because, as we just discovered, some posters still don't know what it is.
    And, yes, I'll have to post this disclaimer, because posters sometimes are not aware: I have nothing against those who purchase AP's and use them as much as they are allowed to. The AP Program is just too good of a deal for something as wonderful as Disneyland is supposed to be.
    I know you're utterly convinced of the evils of the AP program, my friend.

But I just don't agree, I see it like a membership to the gym: You pay a premium but then you are allowed to enjoy the place as often and as long as you like. Disney is getting the money up front. Guests are then able to visit for "free". But not really, Annual Passholders have put out a lot of money to enjoy the parks. Sure you can calculate what they'd pay if they had to pay full price at the gate and say they are getting a discount. But in fact, the AP population would probably spread their entertainment dollars around to movies, other parks and different leisure activities if they were not making the choice to put all those dollars into Disney. So it's not as simple as you make it sound.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast