Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Al Report: Friday the 13th, DAS Update, Parking Situation Update, Monstroplis, an

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    they talk about a Tatooine Cantina "interactive attraction" ... does anyone remember the dusty, dirty, desert structure looking more like a cave in a desert town, than something that looks futuristic, and a proper fit for TL? IF any of this is true ... if they don't carefully tone down the intrusiveness of more of a "Star Wars" presence in Tomorrowland ... I'm going to be one very disappointed fan.
    I don't think a Tatooine cantina would work in DL, unless they could build a desert-like mini-land for it. Not sure I get this blurb either:

"Captain EO is also heading to extinction, but Burbank caught wind of TDA’s plans to close the increasingly irrelevant show for a fake “reburbishment” this month in order to save some labor dollars at the end of the fiscal year. Burbank bosses and an important clique in Glendale’s WDI headquarters want to make the most of their newly acquired Star Wars property, and the parks announcement is a key part of that. Burbank was upset that if EO was closed for a refurbishment, fans would be able to see what was really its permanent closure in advance of a replacement announcement, and they told TDA to back off and just eat the extra labor hours. So the Captain EO fake refurbishment was shelved, and the show will stay open until the Star Wars plans are announced."

Uh, refurbishments are much more expensive than simply staffing an attraction such as Captain EO, so scheduling a refurb doesn't save money, (unless the refurb is extended a couple weeks!;-)) Not that expensive to keep a handful of CMs to hand-out 3-D glasses, what does that cost? A couple hundred a day?

I also don't get why Burbank is paranoid that fans will figure out that a "fake refurbishment" is a prelude to a complete closure?!? If an attraction gets some TLC, then it is usually just regularly scheduled maintenance, and an indication that it won't be demolished.

I also don't see Burbank interfering with minor TDA issues such as the Captain EO refurb, they've got bigger fish to fry.

I must be missing something here . . . I kinda get the angle that Michael Jackson fans (who demanded that Captain EO be returned) might be upset if it closed and sat there for months, but Disney only needs to close EO a before day for construction walls go up. Letting the attraction sit empty for a month would save a relatively very small amount of money, and needlessly decrease ride capacity in tomorrowland.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-17-2013 at 02:50 PM.

• Minion

Re: Al Report: Friday the 13th, DAS Update, Parking Situation Update, Monstroplis, an

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    It's no longer a rumor
    Until Disney announces it, it's still a rumor in my eyes. Seeing that although Al has been right about certain attractions, there have also been some things that haven't come to light.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Until Disney announces it, it's still a rumor in my eyes. Seeing that although Al has been right about certain attractions, there have also been some things that haven't come to light.
    Now it's a "persistent and well placed" rumor. We officially upgraded it this morning
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    There are a few areas that really do get "California" to me - but they're holdovers from the original park.
    The plan was to build a theme park which kept guests on property and gave them what else they had come to California to see—the Golden Gate bridge, tacky tourist shops, a roller coaster, Knott's Berry Farms Big Foot Rapids as cloned and renamed GRR, the Redwoods, a pier side amusement park, "Hollywood land" . . . and no Disney characters!

But what happened was that it turns out that quality Disney attractions with Disney characters are better than the generic stuff. Does anybody really go to DCA because they like the Hollywood land feel? The land's star attraction, super star limo, is history. Turns out that the Calfiornia theme didn't work out to well, at least at a cheap price.

BVS is nice to look at, but lacks attractions, and the golden gate bridge is history, so . . . I don't think we'll see a pure historical California based ride, like a 49rs flume ride or a San Francisco earthquake attraction. Disney's America park was abandoned, and it seems that a theme park based around purely the history of California might not be such a bright idea after all. DCA 1.0 was an epic fail, so why would Burbank throw more money at a concept that didn't work out so well?

• Minion

It's no longer a rumor.
    Source?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    ...But what happened was that it turns out that quality Disney attractions with Disney characters are better than the generic stuff.
    The problem wasn't that there were no Disney characters, the problem was that the generic stuff was generic. Also unimaginative, uninventive, uncreative, unappealing, cheaply made and dull.

Lack of Disney characters is the problem? Hardly. There's no need to list the famous non-Disney-character rides at Disneyland that were world-wide hits in their day, many of which are still massively popular -- thanks to a management team that had enormously less money than the deep pockets of today's Disney, but which accomplished more innovation than these revolving-door marketeers ever will.

The problem isn't the lack of Disney characters in rides. It's the lack of Disney imagination, creativity, ingenuity and originality in the Disney Corporation -- thanks to the leadership of a cadre of financiers and marketers whose vision for the DLR is still mind-melded to that of Eisner and Pressler.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I don't think a Tatooine cantina would work in DL, unless they could build a desert-like mini-land for it. Not sure I get this blurb either:

"Captain EO is also heading to extinction, but Burbank caught wind of TDA’s plans to close the increasingly irrelevant show for a fake “reburbishment” this month in order to save some labor dollars at the end of the fiscal year. Burbank bosses and an important clique in Glendale’s WDI headquarters want to make the most of their newly acquired Star Wars property, and the parks announcement is a key part of that. Burbank was upset that if EO was closed for a refurbishment, fans would be able to see what was really its permanent closure in advance of a replacement announcement, and they told TDA to back off and just eat the extra labor hours. So the Captain EO fake refurbishment was shelved, and the show will stay open until the Star Wars plans are announced."

Uh, refurbishments are much more expensive than simply staffing an attraction such as Captain EO, so scheduling a refurb doesn't save money, (unless the refurb is extended a couple weeks!;-)) Not that expensive to keep a handful of CMs to hand-out 3-D glasses, what does that cost? A couple hundred a day?

I also don't get why Burbank is paranoid that fans will figure out that a "fake refurbishment" is a prelude to a complete closure?!? If an attraction gets some TLC, then it is usually just regularly scheduled maintenance, and an indication that it won't be demolished.

I also don't see Burbank interfering with minor TDA issues such as the Captain EO refurb, they've got bigger fish to fry.

I must be missing something here . . . I kinda get the angle that Michael Jackson fans (who demanded that Captain EO be returned) might be upset if it closed and sat there for months, but Disney only needs to close EO a before day for construction walls go up. Letting the attraction sit empty for a month would save a relatively very small amount of money, and needlessly decrease ride capacity in tomorrowland.
    I think the idea was that they weren't going to refurbish any part of the ride at all. In essence, they were just going to close EO and say that it was undergoing refurbishment, when in actuality they were just closing it to save money in advance of it eventually going away for good. Think the Rocket Rods,which got closed for refurb only to never return.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The problem wasn't that there were no Disney characters, the problem was that the generic stuff was generic. Also unimaginative, uninventive, uncreative, unappealing, cheaply made and dull.

Lack of Disney characters is the problem? Hardly. There's no need to list the famous non-Disney-character rides at Disneyland that were world-wide hits in their day, many of which are still massively popular -- thanks to a management team that had enormously less money than the deep pockets of today's Disney, but which accomplished more innovation than these revolving-door marketeers ever will.

The problem isn't the lack of Disney characters in rides. It's the lack of Disney imagination, creativity, ingenuity and originality in the Disney Corporation -- thanks to the leadership of a cadre of financiers and marketers whose vision for the DLR is still mind-melded to that of Eisner and Pressler.
    Mr. Wiggins nailed it!

• Artistic integrity

=CaliforniaAdventurer;1057023911
    Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967

1. I will never understand why they even bothered to continue to call the park CALIFORNIA Adventure .. when .. it's all about PIXAR. From Cars, to Bugs Land, and next Monstropolis ... just change the name of the park to Pixar Adventure .. and be done with it!

There's no need to repeat "Disney's Pixar Adventure" in every thread. We get it.
    Since you decided to quote and direct this to me:
    For the record dude, this is my first time making this kind of statement here on Micechat. I know what I post, and how much .. and if this is a repeat of something I said before .. would have been more than 2 years ago.

(in a response to another poster)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    This really does nothing to further along the conversation.
    And neither does this - "There's no need to repeat "Disney's Pixar Adventure" in every thread. We get it."
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 09-17-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Source?
    Let me rephrase my original statement. I feel that it is no longer a rumor. The fact that we keep hearing more and more about it leads me to believe that it's coming. Is that evidence? No. A lot of garbage rumors get spewed here, most of which dissolve rather quickly. This hasn't dissolved just yet, and Al is talking pretty seriously about it too. If it was that far off he wouldn't even mention it in his blog. He's not hurting for content - his articles come out when they are ready. I find him to be a rather reliable source of information.

To be honest the way things now operate in Disney parks, I don't see any reason for them not to add this to DCA. I'm being realistic, my friend.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    Personally, DCA should be leveled and start over.
    No....thanks that would costs billions meaning if they ever did reopen the parks would costs like 200 bucks for a one day ticket if were lucky....

As is the park is great Buena Vista Street and Carsland are AMAZING lands...while Hollywood and the Pier still need some work here and there to be up to pair with most other amazing lands

• Minion

Let me rephrase my original statement. I feel that it is no longer a rumor. The fact that we keep hearing more and more about it leads me to believe that it's coming. Is that evidence? No. A lot of garbage rumors get spewed here, most of which dissolve rather quickly. This hasn't dissolved just yet, and Al is talking pretty seriously about it too. If it was that far off he wouldn't even mention it in his blog. He's not hurting for content - his articles come out when they are ready. I find him to be a rather reliable source of information.

To be honest the way things now operate in Disney parks, I don't see any reason for them not to add this to DCA. I'm being realistic, my friend.
    Fair enough. But I personally will remain skeptical until construction walls go around the perimeter.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I know you're utterly convinced of the evils of the AP program, my friend.

But I just don't agree, I see it like a membership to the gym: You pay a premium but then you are allowed to enjoy the place as often and as long as you like. Disney is getting the money up front. Guests are then able to visit for "free". But not really, Annual Passholders have put out a lot of money to enjoy the parks. Sure you can calculate what they'd pay if they had to pay full price at the gate and say they are getting a discount. But in fact, the AP population would probably spread their entertainment dollars around to movies, other parks and different leisure activities if they were not making the choice to put all those dollars into Disney. So it's not as simple as you make it sound.
    I don't claim to think that it's not profitable. it means that they can do less and still have a satisfied audience.
    It merely stagnates Disneyland imo. Last attraction of E-Ticket quality in 1995. That is stagnant. It seems people are happy with stagnation, and how could they not be, at a few dollars per admission?
    But, there are a lot of people who don't get to enjoy DL, because the one-day cost is far greater than the stagnant enjoyment it offers these days. THOSE people are spreading their entertainment dollars around to other leisure activities. And, at 21 million or so residents from Ventura to San Diego (about a 100-mile radius), that's a lot of people not going.

And, as I've stated before: if only a few thousand were buying AP's there'd be none of these (well, as I repeatedly state, all of these) logistical problems.
    But there are a million or so AP'ers. Because it's a great deal. Because, for many, it is still a quallity product for the price (after estimating the number of visits, which, really, is not the logical way of doing it -- buying it requires a commitment to visits, otherwise you'd go A LOT less). And it creates logistical problems. Same thing would happen if too many people bought a yearly gym membership, then proceeded to enjoy the place as often as they want. Place would be too crowded, the annual memberships would not pay for maintenance and upkeep, services would be cut back, etc. Does all this sound familiar? And this actually happens at many gyms.

I'm wanting a better Disneyland. That is where I'm coming from.
    Last edited by sediment; 09-17-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I don't claim to think that it's not profitable. it means that they can do less and still have a satisfied audience.
    It merely stagnates Disneyland imo. Last attraction of E-Ticket quality in 1995. That is stagnant. It seems people are happy with stagnation, and how could they not be, at a few dollars per admission?
    But, there are a lot of people who don't get to enjoy DL, because the one-day cost is far greater than the stagnant enjoyment it offers these days. THOSE people are spreading their entertainment dollars around to other leisure activities. And, at 21 million or so from Ventura to San Diego (about a 100-mile radius), that's a lot of people not going.

And, as I've stated before: if only a few thousand were buying AP's there'd be none of these (well, as I repeatedly state, all of these) logistical problems.
    But there are a million or so AP'ers. Because it's a great deal. Because, for many, it is still a quallity product for the price (after estimating the number of visits, which, really, is not the logical way of doing it -- buying it requires a commitment to visits, otherwise you'd go A LOT less). And it creates logistical problems. Same thing would happen if too many people bought a yearly gym membership, then proceeded to enjoy the place as often as they want. Place would be too crowded, the annual memberships would not pay for maintenance and upkeep, services would be cut back, etc. Does all this sound familiar? And this actually happens at many gyms.

I'm wanting a better Disneyland. That is where I'm coming from.
    For what it's worth, they appear to be engaged in a longterm push to find out where the line is and how to get there. Every year the AP prices take a substantial leap, to the point where they're now 3-6 times the AP prices at any other SoCal themepark. I *DO* believe this to be a move to push the overall number down, and I for one am part of the group that it's worked on already.

Of course, they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. They jack the prices into the stratosphere, then give a payment plan to make it feel less painful. It's definitely a mixed message.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Rock Star Minion

I've seen that. Message is quite clear: we want your money, anyhow, anyway.

Now, I'd like to see a drop in one-day ticket prices (and commensurate drops in muilti-days), so that the supposed "break-even" number of days is increased.

I'd also like to see seasonal pricing, where someone can buy tickets at a price based on the day they want to go. Weekends are more expensive, weekdays are less, summer is more expensive, January/February is less, etc. If there is one thing that is outdated in the ticket department, it's the "same price all the time" concept.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast