Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• Future Imagineer

Al Report: Friday the 13th, DAS Update, Parking Situation Update, Monstroplis, and TL

From today's Micechat Update:
    MiceAge Disneyland Update - Park It

Highlights Include:
    - Friday the 13th Report
    - Updates happening to the GAC system
    - Parking Updates
    - D23 Tokyo to be the center of Monstropolis and/or new Tomorrowland announcements
    - With the recent purchase of the RV lot, Pumba's free to become a parking structure
    - Reason for Golden Horseshoe testing
    Last edited by Right Ear; 09-17-2013 at 05:15 AM.

• Minion

Re: Al Report: Friday the 13th, DAS Update, Parking Situation Update, Monstroplis, an

I really wish this Monstropolis rumor would die. Hopefully, if it does come to fruition, they'll make it fit the surrounding area.

• Artistic integrity

Re: Al Report: Friday the 13th, DAS Update, Parking Situation Update, Monstroplis, an

1. I will never understand why they even bothered to continue to call the park CALIFORNIA Adventure .. when .. it's all about PIXAR. From Cars, to Bugs Land, and next Monstropolis ... just change the name of the park to Pixar Adventure .. and be done with it! This 2017 opening date is ridiculous. FOUR years away ... that's IF they do it. Yet, Universal in Florida can do this in ONE year - Construction Update: Wizarding World’s Hogwarts Express track and Diagon Alley expansion from above - Orlando Attractions Magazine

2. This Star Wars rumor continues on ... but with no other confirmation from any other website. If it's true .... they talk about a Tatooine Cantina "interactive attraction" ... does anyone remember the dusty, dirty, desert structure looking more like a cave in a desert town, than something that looks futuristic, and a proper fit for TL? IF any of this is true ... if they don't carefully tone down the intrusiveness of more of a "Star Wars" presence in Tomorrowland ... I'm going to be one very disappointed fan. If this is truly the course they are set on .. for one of Disneyland's original 5 lands - I'll be FUMING!

For the record -

Meanwhile, Disneyland Vice President Jon Storbeck is keeping his strategic planners on the path to a virtual Death Star landing in Tomorrowland
    I didn't find that funny or amusing at all!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I didn't find that funny or amusing at all!
    I still find it odd/amusing that people are clamoring to dine in a seedy bar in a town that Obi-wan Kenobi described as "a wretched hive of scum and villainy." It was a place where you could severe limbs or shoot a man without much more than a glance in response. Not to mention never being able to find the droids you're looking for!

• Minion

The Cantina is a complete mismatch for Tomorrowland. At least Dex's Diner or that nightclub in Episode II would mesh with the Tomorrowland aesthetic.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

1. I will never understand why they even bothered to continue to call the park CALIFORNIA Adventure .. when .. it's all about PIXAR. From Cars, to Bugs Land, and next Monstropolis ... just change the name of the park to Pixar Adventure .. and be done with it! This 2017 opening date is ridiculous. FOUR years away ... that's IF they do it. Yet, Universal in Florida can do this in ONE year - Construction Update: Wizarding World’s Hogwarts Express track and Diagon Alley expansion from above - Orlando Attractions Magazine
    I completely agree. It's not like the Carsland where there's at least a small connection, Monstropolis has nothing and will most likely never have anything in common with the Golden Age theme that they're going for with Hollywoodland. The only connection I can think of is the popularity of monster films in that era, and even that is a loose connection. Not to mention, that besides the many MANY original concepts they can do, there are also a couple properties that would fit much better in that area than Monstropolis.

The Monsters Inc Door Coaster is going to be a fun ride...and the Monsters Inc world has a lot of fun characters it can bring into play. I picture them creating a streetscape of Monstropolis buildings, with little monsters in the windows and other little jokes and gags. It will be fun.

What's in that area currently is not memorable. The Muppets theater that's there is not an attraction my family ever goes on. The last time we were at DCA my DS9 wanted to ride the Monsters ride so we walked over there and my other DS12 said that the whole area around there looked "closed". There's just no life or energy over there...but I think Monstropolis will change that. I think it will be a nice balance to Cars Land and will get people to want to spend time in a part of the park that is now basically deserted.

As for the park's "theme", I don't think Disney is trying to have DCA be "California-themed" anymore. Most of that California theming was removed in the upgrade to DCA 2.0. To me, the park stopped trying to be "California-themed" when they took down the big postcard letters from the entrance.

To me, DCA 2.0 is trying to just be a fun park with immersive experiences for guests. Cars Land and Buena Vista Place really achieve that. Other parts of the park are lacking. Monstropolis, however, will be immersive and they're going to spend money on it to build it to Cars Land levels. It will be gorgeous.

I'm someone who thinks the Cars movies are dumb...but boy do I love Cars Land. I like the Monsters movies better than Cars. I can see a Monstropolis area being amazing for Halloween. There's never been anything like that...a spooky but colorful land. There's lots of opportunity for creativity with that.

I hope after this they still plan on renovating Paradise Pier. I think that area is so ugly and cheap-looking. To me it looks like a Six Flags or lower grade park. If they want to keep the pier theme, I think they should build a version of Mystic Manor over there and have the whole pier be a kooky and enchanted carnival. Make the Mystic Manor here belong to a fortune teller or a Harry Houdini kind of magician and make it a magical pier. That could be a lot of fun.

• Disney Philosopher

Personally, DCA should be leveled and start over.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    What's in that area currently is not memorable. The Muppets theater that's there is not an attraction my family ever goes on. The last time we were at DCA my DS9 wanted to ride the Monsters ride so we walked over there and my other DS12 said that the whole area around there looked "closed". There's just no life or energy over there...but I think Monstropolis will change that. I think it will be a nice balance to Cars Land and will get people to want to spend time in a part of the park that is now basically deserted.
    I agree wholeheartedly. That entire Hollywood area in Disney California Adventure looks rundown and decrepit. It appears to be a casualty of the Great Depression with vacant and lifeless buildings. It's time to give that corner of Disney's California Adventure a shot if vitality, anything Disney decides to do in that corner should be 100 times better then what's there right now.

if they don't carefully tone down the intrusiveness of more of a "Star Wars" presence in Tomorrowland ... I'm going to be one very disappointed fan. If this is truly the course they are set on .. for one of Disneyland's original 5 lands - I'll be FUMING!
    I love Star Wars and saw the original movie 29 times in the theater when it was released in 1977 (I was 6 years old).

I'm not a fanatic about Star Wars. I don't dress up, I don't role play and I have never named a loved one after a Star Wars character. However, I would be ecstatic if Disney incorporated more Star Wars into Disneyland. I love the idea.

I wonder if the Door Coaster will be a kids coaster or something fast and thrilling. Because if its a kid coaster I will be very dissapointed.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Perhaps I missed it reading the update but does the new DAS have a party limit? Or does it only apply to the person who needs the DAS?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Minion

• Sock Puppet

did anyone else notice that the article stated MONSTROPOLIS would not open until early 2017?
    That means construction would most likely not begin for more than a year from now and possibly 1 1/2 years. What's with the insane delay if the project has been greenlit and design work is finished? That's 5 years between any new rides or major attractions for The DLR. I would venture to say that there isn't another theme park resort in America that will go that long in between attractions.
    Also, I don't have much confidence in a project, even if already greenlit, that isn't set to begin construction for more than a year. It might come to fruition, but could just as we'll be shelved within that time period as well.
    they are beginning to shift the park visitor dynamics in terms of percentage of tourists to locals and should be building upon that mo,entum the way Universal Orlando is approaching things.
    I think Universal Hollywood really has a chance to steal away much of the DLR,s built in advantage over the next 3 years. Transformers was a huge hit, DM Minions will open next year and the Potter expansion as well as overall aesthetic and theming improvements will all take place before anything happens at DLR. I think their making some sizeable mistakes in Anaheim in terms of growth and building on the success of the DCA expansion.

• Sock Puppet

Everything I've read about the door coaster from when they were considering it for The Studios park in Orlando to now is that it is a genuine thrill ride with elaborate show scenes at the beginning. I had heard that the main reason it wasn't approved for the Studios was because of their heavy thrill ratio they already had, so Midway Mania was approved instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
    I love Star Wars and saw the original movie 29 times in the theater when it was released in 1977 (I was 6 years old).

I'm not a fanatic about Star Wars. I don't dress up, I don't role play and I have never named a loved one after a Star Wars character. However, I would be ecstatic if Disney incorporated more Star Wars into Disneyland. I love the idea.
    I saw Star Wars in a theater when I was 13, then saw it again 8 more times that summer. I've loved the movies since that day because they were the first science fiction films in a long, long time where there future* was FUN, not some dreadful dystopia where the best case scenario was mere survival. This is why, no matter how well they do at the box office, there will never be a "Planet of the Apes" ride at a theme park: People don't want a theme park experience that based on a dreary movie.

The Star Wars movies are a natural fit for Disneyland because, in their heart, they were written for the inner 12 year old in all of us who waited breathlessly for the next installment of Our Hero's Adventures in the Great Beyond. For George Lucas, that experience was Flash Gordon serials. For me, before it was Star Wars, it was Jonny Quest and comic books, and now for my two sons, it's Star Wars (again).

And that's leaving the discussion for seemingly endless merchandising opportunities for another day.

The future that Walt envisioned for Tomorrowland didn't happen (Where are the flying cars?! There was supposed to be flying cars in the year 2013!!!), but the romantic hope that there might be something better Out There is alive in the Star Wars Universe.

* Yes, I know they actually happened "A long, long time ago".

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast