Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Question Park Priorities - You make the call!

With everything going on at the parks nowadays and the environment into which they're being built, I was thinking it's not an easy time to be TDA these days. There are a LOT of very important priorities out there and a limited supply of cash to accomplish them.

So what's a fan to do?

Armchair Accountaneer, of course!

Here are the rules: Four priorities. Limited budget. Rank the four priorities in your order of importance to get done - Priority #1 will be accomplished, #2 will be done adequately, #3 will be done in the cheapest way possible but not to expectations and will create negative feedback. #4 will be dropped out of your business plan entirely and not addressed in any tangible fashion.

Your fabulous contestants are:

Priority #1 GAC revision
    THE REASON: DAMN that Today Show! It's a PR DISASTER! Something needs to be done and fast. The abuse may have been there, but we think we've come up with a way to fix it. The bad news? We need to spend a LOT OF MONEY to refit the queues on a large volume of rides in Disneyland in order to allow for disabled access. If we wait, we lose the opportunity to change the culture causing the issue and WILL face bad press for letting the now-public abuse continue. Fix me first!

Priority #2 Resort Parking
    THE REASON: Maybe Friday the 13th wasn't the best day to traffic max our resort? Oh well, spilled milk and all that. Plus it's not like this problem hasn't been out there - CMs parking at Anaheim Stadium. Resort guests shunted into Convention Center lots. Traffic redzoned all over the area as a normal, not just special event occurence. THIS NEEDS HELP NOW! We're getting complaints from fans, we're getting complaints from casual visitors, we're getting complaints from area businesses - how much longer until the City Council decides to force the issue and we're not able to plan in advance for the reaction? How much damage to OUR future plans does letting the current relationship with the council deteriorate cause? Too much - they can pull the plug on anything we could possibly want. Fix me first!

Priority #3 DCA Rebuild
    WOW this has paid off so far. But it's not done. It'll never be done - it was built in with Walt, even. We've established DCA as a standalone park but the public's fickle and there's this Boy Wizard coming in up the road who's already put a dent in our East Coast operations. We can't let that happen HERE as well! There are a legion of projects already waiting on the launchpad and all they require is the signature. If we don't build, they'll stop coming. We don't want to be THAT park! Fix me first!

Priority #4 Disneyland Rebuild
    The Crown Jewel's showing a few seams. Let's be honest. The rides-per-capita are down, and the physical number of people we're allowing in has decreased over the years as we've shuttered capacity while opening fewer attractions to replace them. Heck, we've come to a point where DCA is being used instead of Disneyland for events and most people seem not to care. Down that road lies stagnation, loss of attendance and loss of revenue. The park's gone a long stretch now without any sort of major addition and it's starting to show - possibly even at the gates. Fix me first!

There you go. Four competing priorities - one internal resort infrastructure issue, one external, and then the core issues of the parks themselves. There are more out there, but this alone is more than reasonable to expect the parks to pull off well.

What do you do? What do you let slide? We're talking a five-ten year plan here, and keep in mind that the competition for the tourist dollar is heating up more than it has *ever* in the market. Inaction is not a solution.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Singing Drinker

Re: Park Priorities - You make the call!

My answers:

In order

#1 Parking
    #2 Disneyland
    #3 DCA
    #4 GAC

REASONING:

Parking is bad. Many more of these Friday the 13th situations and the city's going to start yelling again - and they're the ones who have to sign off on everything. Fix the parking issue and you also do a lot to improve CM morale (not having to come in an hour early to account for car-to-gate transit would make ME a lot happier if I were in that situation). You also have the opportunity to place excess capacity at this stage making future expansions a MUCH easier sell.

Disneyland would be my second - get it done adequately, but save a massive "WOW" until you can afford to do it right. Not saying don't add rides, but keep them in a unified package of ride and theme so the investment can feed off itself to keep interest going. In park this is where the least amount of cuts could be taken without causing the overall project to suffer greatly IMO.

DCA third. It'd get complaints, but I'd pull anything other than A-C ticket level attractions until the work at Disneyland is done and we're into the next multi year plan. The work there is sterling, and not having a new E-ticket for 5-6 years would generate noise... but I think the work already done in the recent past would be enough to tide most of the public over without harming the park so long as a new ride surfaces every couple of years.

Leaving *sigh*....

GAC. This was a hard call. The new system in place is a start but I wonder how much of an effect it'll have until the mentioned queue rebuilds happen to allow more disabled access. Sadly I think that this is not going to hurt their bottom line if they stop with where they're at for now though - TDA's "done something" and can point to a down-the-line 'placemaking' project or such as the point they'll redo the lines. There would be a backlash, but the figleaf of DAS should provide enough cover to deflect most of it.

There you go.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Rock Star Minion

The new GAC seems to be something we all agreed to: that GAC holders need to wait as long as someone with a FastPass. GAC Program is supposed to be mainly about access, not about "a way to beat the crowds." The way it was created and operated allowed cheaters to use it to their advantage and to the harm of every other guest. Now, it's logistically not a big issue if there are, say, 10 guests with a GAC. But when it's several hundred (?) a day, and with many in tow, it becomes logistically more difficult.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    The new GAC seems to be something we all agreed to: that GAC holders need to wait as long as someone with a FastPass. GAC Program is supposed to be mainly about access, not about "a way to beat the crowds." The way it was created and operated allowed cheaters to use it to their advantage and to the harm of every other guest. Now, it's logistically not a big issue if there are, say, 10 guests with a GAC. But when it's several hundred (?) a day, and with many in tow, it becomes logistically more difficult.
    It's incomplete currently, for what effect that will have. Our common source cites efforts to bring as much of the remaining third of the rides that are not fully accessible to that standard. Thus the inclusion here - twenty rides is a not inconsequential amount of rebuild.

Your answers?

• Rock Star Minion

Parking: stop selling the Annual Parking Pass, and stop renewing them. Then, lower the entry fee. This might take a year or so for all Annual Parking passes to expire. If necessary, offer discount parking for AP'ers. Couple of bucks.
    This will encourage more guests per car, which is the real issue with parking.

DCA: keep rebuilding. Make more attractions worth re-experiencing. RSR, for example. I don't have an issue with Monstropolis and the door coaster just yet. It just has to be re-ridable. Good theme, well-made queue (shade, please), could be different every time one rides, etc. And changing the whole park to Pixarland would be fine to me as well. Just need some movies in development that tie in to GRR, Soarin, Screamin', etc.

Disneyland Rebuild. Only one solution: Gotta get the easy-money and no-improvements-necessary monkey off the financial back, and change the guest demographic back to the finicky kind. Yes, it's harder to run a park that has to change all the time in order to attract the same guest at least once a year. If you want a better Disneyland, the people in charge need a financial reason to improve it.

I don't think the monkey-on-the-back is a very good analogy. If anything, Disneyland is more like the lead character in Breaking Bad who finds the money is too easy to give up. Yes, that means the AP holders are the junkies. Not all of them. Just most of them. Its not a particularly bad habit, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I'm from Canada eh!

Ok, tough one as all but the GAC fix will cost a lot more, so with that in mind:
    Priority #1. Disneyland. It needs some ”plusing” and Tomorrowland will be a great start. With all the attention from across the esplanade it seams that the extra wear and tear on Walt’s park is starting to show and it needs to be done right.

Priority #2. DCA. I never hated DCA, but I really like the new version and would love to see more.

priority #3. Parking. I'm not a local so this is simply not an issue for me. It also seams like when parking reaches capacity, the parks are unbearable. Fix the AP program and other over crowding events and the parking will sort itself out. The only exception is the staff parking as that should be rectified asap.

Priority #4 GAC. PR nightmare? Yes. Simple cost effective ways to ensure non-abuse? Yes.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well as of the update today GAC is already done, so the new #1 priority has to be parking. If they upgrade DCA or Disneyland more guests come, they will need a place to park. There has to be adequate parking first before you start doing things to attract more people. That was why Disney built the world's largest parking structure first, before DCA opened. #2 has to be Disneyland. They haven't had a new E-Ticket ride in almost 20 years now (1995). #3 would be new hotels. The three current DL hotels are sold out most nights, so clearly there is more demand then supply. #4 will be to build DisneySea here in Southern California and connect it to Disneyland via a Monorail.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well as of the update today GAC is already done, so the new #1 priority has to be parking. If they upgrade DCA or Disneyland more guests come, they will need a place to park. There has to be adequate parking first before you start doing things to attract more people. That was why Disney built the world's largest parking structure first, before DCA opened. #2 has to be Disneyland. They haven't had a new E-Ticket ride in almost 20 years now (1995). #3 would be new hotels. The three current DL hotels are sold out most nights, so clearly there is more demand then supply. #4 will be to build DisneySea here in Southern California and connect it to Disneyland via a Monorail.
    Ah, but there's not enough money for everything to be priority at once.

Which do you downgrade to "do, but not quite perfect", "do, but accept it's not what it could have been" and "well, it was a nice thought but it's not happening"?

• Not the Hawkguy

#1: Parking - As noted above, any new additions to either park will cause an increase in attendance, which means an increase in cars that need a place to go. Ideally, Disneyland builds two new parking structures: one on the recently-purchased property on Ball and Harbor for employee parking, and one at the Pumbaa parking lot that could be connected to the Esplande via a raised platform (possible People Mover or raised tram). Another option would be a large parking structure at the current Timon lot south of the hotels, again utilizing a raised platform to get to the Esplande, or to the Grand Californian.

#2: Disneyland - This was a harder decision, because both Disneyland and DCA have areas of improvement, but Disneyland hasn't had major work done since 1998, and has been adding smaller pieces since then. Tomorrowland is, as pointed out, the big elephant in the room, so this is where most of the work would go. I'm opposed to a complete retheming to Star Wars, but adding another Star Wars ride, alongside a repurposing of the People Mover track and new attractions to take the place of Innoventions and Captain EO would do wonders for this area.

#3: DCA - I decided this would be third just because it just finished a major redevelopment project. Between Cars Land, Little Mermaid, Midway Mania, and World of Color, the park has enough to thrive off of for the foreseeable future. The rumored Monstropolis area would take care of the biggest current deadzone in the park (Hollywood Backlot), and there is room to expand Cars Land further.

#4: GAC - The new plan with the upcoming DAS system is a good first step, but the best/ideal solution to this problem would be to redesign/rebuild existing queues so that everyone can have the same experience/wait in line. Unfortunately, that's also an incredibly costly course of action, and while it will need to happen eventually, there are more pressing matters. Also, it's easier to make this the low priority and work on fixing lines one at a time.

1. Disneyland - Needs a shot in the arm to remind everyone who the shining star of the resort is.

2. DCA - Build on the momentum, fix the flawed areas and bring the entire park up to the quality it needs and deserves.

3. Parking - I have never had an issue with parking, I mean never, especially after we started parking at the TS lot. If there will be significant plussing up of the parks then this becomes a higher priority.

4. GAC - Understand it's an issue but have never directly dealt with or experienced any problems caused by it.

• Former Churro Jockey

You know, you could kind of kill two birds with one stone if you build a parking structure connected to the resort by People Mover. You'd increase the parking and partially satisfy (the views aren't the same since you're looking at Anaheim and not Tomorrowland) the people who keep saying that Disney needs to bring the People Mover back.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Rock Star Minion

Hmm, so every attraction would have some kind of DAS-Pass return system, that is, if its queue is not already Disabled-friendly (meaning exit-entry is required)?
    I don't have a problem with that.

Less-physically-but-more-mentally-disabled folks might, though. For some, the queue, any queue, causes issues. What about them?

• revolutionary waltz

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Hmm, so every attraction would have some kind of DAS-Pass return system, that is, if its queue is not already Disabled-friendly (meaning exit-entry is required)?
    I don't have a problem with that.

Less-physically-but-more-mentally-disabled folks might, though. For some, the queue, any queue, causes issues. What about them?
    I think current guess (since we don't have a concrete announced plan yet) is that if your problem is strictly mobility then those rides which have wheelchair accessible queues will not be 'included' in the DAS-Pass. Anyone else (parents with an autistic child, etc.) will still, most likely, be able to access the ride with a DAS Pass instead.

And wow, I really like this topic idea. It really makes you think--so much so that I need some more time to formulate my thoughts. I do find it interesting that everyone so far has listed GAC as last. I'm not sure that's the right choice either.
    Last edited by TwilitWings; 09-17-2013 at 05:02 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

I didn't put mine in priority order. I'm a rebel.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by TwilitWings View Post
    I think current guess (since we don't have a concrete announced plan yet) is that if your problem is strictly mobility then those rides which have wheelchair accessible queues will not be 'included' in the DAS-Pass. Anyone else (parents with an autistic child, etc.) will still, most likely, be able to access the ride with a DAS Pass instead.

And wow, I really like this topic idea. It really makes you think--so much so that I need some more time to formulate my thoughts. I do find it interesting that everyone so far has listed GAC as last. I'm not sure that's the right choice either.
    Speaking for myself, it was a "hold the nose and do it" moment. I'm using a certain amount of faith that the current system will deal with the issue at least in part, and as noted - a certain level of the work could be done slowly over a few years to start retrofitting queues. It's still a substantial amount of work, but it seems the most conducive to being broken into many different, smaller projects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast