Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Blew By You

Re: One more GAC thread

Not everyone hates the disabled person, but society still has some discomforts when seeing a person who is.

• Pilot EdForceOne

people want the disable to be accommodated - not elevated.

Why? Because elevating anyone comes at the cost of everyone.

There are many people that have irrational expectations of what accommodations they 'require'. Why is that such a hot topic? Because providing those accommodations is done at the expense of everyone else and if they are not necessary, that person is elevating himself... either through irrational justification or the abusers.. simply through lying.

Maybe you can call it misunderstanding... but people have a hard time understanding how someone 'cant wait in line' for an attraction... but they can wait in a line everywhere else.. including the bus, the car, the airport, mcdonalds down the street, 7-11, etc. When people start complaining that a 15min threshold is a showstopper for them... that really raises a lot of questions of how someone functions everywhere else in life.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Yes, flynnibus, yes.

Like previously stated, to state that there is a hatred for the disabled is an assumption and an unjustified one at that. However, there is a faction of guests at Disneyland (the GAC-holding AP's, to be specific) that behave with such arrogance and entitlement that you'd believe that nepotism was alive and well. Then you have the same AP's who throw a fit when they aren't given immediate boarding, along with threatening to complain about the CM who denied them access at City Hall.

THAT is what people hate, but then again, who doesn't? Who actually enjoys such entitlement besides the entitled?

• Ambassador of good will

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

There are many people that have irrational expectations of what accommodations they 'require'. Why is that such a hot topic? Because providing those accommodations is done at the expense of everyone else and if they are not necessary, that person is elevating himself... either through irrational justification or the abusers.. simply through lying.

Maybe you can call it misunderstanding... but people have a hard time understanding how someone 'cant wait in line' for an attraction... but they can wait in a line everywhere else.. including the bus, the car, the airport, mcdonalds down the street, 7-11, etc. When people start complaining that a 15min threshold is a showstopper for them... that really raises a lot of questions of how someone functions everywhere else in life.
    Excuse me Flynn...... but this is an excellent post!!!
    "Raiders Suck"
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Tennor View Post
    I'm not happy with the change, personally. My daughter has a rare disease where she must be covered 100% from the sun. On a hot day at Disneyland, waiting in lines that for the most part have sun exposure (shade doesn't help, she must still be covered 100%)

In the past a "green light" GAC was given to the few people with this rare condition.

Now, that "green light" type access will only be available from Make-A-Wish.
    She will still be able to get a regular GAC. She will be assigned a time to return to the ride later and while waiting she can be in a shaded shop or wherever she likes. She just wont be able to instantly get on rides like before. Seems perfectly fine to me.

• Splash On In

Quote Originally Posted by Tennor View Post
    I'm not happy with the change, personally. My daughter has a rare disease where she must be covered 100% from the sun. On a hot day at Disneyland, waiting in lines that for the most part have sun exposure (shade doesn't help, she must still be covered 100%)

In the past a "green light" GAC was given to the few people with this rare condition.

Now, that "green light" type access will only be available from Make-A-Wish.
    I was at the park this past Sunday, which turned out to be a particularly hot day, and several times I came across a group of women dressed in hijab, covered head to toe, enjoying the park like everyone else. I couldn't help but wonder their comfort level but they didn't seem to be bothered walking through the crowds, waiting in line.

As others have stated, it's not so much animosity but rather bewilderment as to how people who have such grave impairments function outside of Disneyland.

No one has said they despise special needs or disabled. They all just think that the GAC gave them a "free ride".

Because the great thing about having a kid with Autism is that for one day every two years you can go to an amusement park and not wait on a line. Totally worth it.

I understand everyone is upset at those who abuse it. I am upset at those who abuse it because I knew when that story came out it meant everyone would get punished for the actions of the very few.

I will reserve judgement on the new program until I see how it plays out. It seems flawed in that - if I am reading the information correctly - they are telling those with special needs that instead of waiting on a long line for a ride, you should go to a kiosk and wait on that long line, then go back to the original ride and wait on a shortened ride. If that is correct, that it would essentially make the park inaccessible for our child. But again, I will wait to hear how it works for those in the Autism community before I pass judgement. Really hoping I am wrong.

I will agree that there are some disabled folks who have abused the system and who have irrational expectations on the accomodations that they require. However, I can assure you that there are some disabled people that cannot stand ( meaning on one's feet for an extended amount of time) to wait for an attraction. I happen to be one of them. I injured my back many years ago in the service (yes, I am a disabled vet) and I honestly think that my doctor hates my passion for Disney because going there each time does take a toll on my body whether I rent a wheelchair/scooter or not. The actual doctors instructions are to not sit or stand for more than 20 minutes at a time. Yes, it does make life elsewhere a bit of a challenge also to be honest. I plan my day out so that I am not waiting as you mentioned and I work from home. We live in San Diego and the family has to stop so that I can get out and move around just to drive to Anaheim. Having said that, I will reserve judgement on the new system to see how it works once the kinks get ironed out. I do wish that they would bring the system online to allow you to schedule your fast passes and kind of plan out your day. If you don't check in and pick up your passes by a certain time, say an hr before the first time slot you requested, then they go back to the public que. And I am sure that there is a way to make sure that no one is "hogging" all the fast pass times also. Sure, I will gladly register my info with Guest Relations and set up an account linked to my AP card. I would imagine that it would help DLR obtain useful stats as to how many disabled guests they actually have during any given day to be able to formulate a plan to work this out better. I bet that it would cut back on the cheating too. I am not saying that I shouldn't wait to enjoy an attraction. But I much prefer the system that was used often in DCA on racers and toy story, where the cast member would just give you a return time similar to a fast pass so that you were not cutting anyone in line but could still enjoy your experience dependent on your own needs. Sounds more like what they are striving for with the new system. And yes, I was one of those dreaded APs with the GAC but even though we went to Anaheim every couple of months, we usually tried to plan our visits during the mid week when it wasn't so busy because of my limitations. No, my children never used my GAC without me. And the only time we had a GAC with a large number (8) was when we visited the park with another family. I don't go to the Halloween Parties and such just because they are a hassle. They are just too crowded and, in the end, painful to be enjoyed. So there you have it- the view from the other side. I love Disney and always have. I grew up in FL and transplanted to CA 20 years ago. For those of you who " want the disabled to experience the park just like you do" please try and understand that there are some of us that go out of our way to be able to experience the park and get as much out of it as we can based on our limitations and not inconveniencing any of you. Perhaps if people were not so worried about beating out the next guy then they wouldn't be so jealous of the person who has waited their time outside of the que. This isn't a competition- this is DisneyLand!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

• The doctor is in

I think what people are misunderstanding about this new GAC policy is the policy itself. People will still be able to get the GAC cards. The only real difference is you won't be able to skip the lines whenever you want. You will receive return time passes and will go to the attraction during your scheduled time.

What will people do while they wait? That's up to them. People will just have to add some strategy into their days now. It's not that hard. Guests without disabilities do it all the time and manage just fine.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Disney Philosopher

A few of the posts here demonstrate the attitude I first posted on. They infur that the DL experience would be better for them if the disabled weren't around to be "accomodated".

The disabled would like to be accomodated, but they ask little, but deserve more. They live with the diabilities 24/7, the rest of us don't

This may be a generational thing as well.

They way I was raised is that we opened doors for women and elders, we gave up our seats for them as well. We respected elders, veterans and others. We placed their needs before ourselves. If I still see someone in a wheel chair I have ZERO problems stepping out of the way and let them and those with them go right away, even if it inconviences me.

The younger generations in general have no concept of respect, sacrifice and putting others ahead of themselves.

We should not accomodate the disabled they should put rushed to the front. They give all, all the time.

Let's stop being so self-centered that all we think of is our own well-being. You might find you'll even like it better if you put others ahead of yourselves.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• Disney Philosopher

The ISSUE here is not the disabled but the lying cheating abusers. DL should figure out ways to deal with abuse specifically, without impacting the disabled.

One way is for security to monitor the lines and remove guests that are apparently faking thier way. The real abusers stand out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately CM's are told to not question and for good reason. But security should be and used to be there to enforce rule and proper behaviour.

I don't think anyone (especially MCers) with any shred of humanity and civility, has anything against people who are legitimately disabled in any way.

The anger and frustration, stems from the all too common abuse of an obviously flawed, and broken system, by some self centered, dishonest cheats, with no traces of the above mentioned social graces.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    The ISSUE here is not the disabled but the lying cheating abusers. DL should figure out ways to deal with abuse specifically, without impacting the disabled.

One way is for security to monitor the lines and remove guests that are apparently faking thier way. The real abusers stand out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately CM's are told to not question and for good reason. But security should be and used to be there to enforce rule and proper behaviour.
    But the smart abusers blend right in with the legitimately disabled.
    The disabled person who was "giving tours" to total strangers and getting paid for her GAC access is just such an example.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    But the smart abusers blend right in with the legitimately disabled.
    The disabled person who was "giving tours" to total strangers and getting paid for her GAC access is just such an example.
    There will always be abuse, but the goal should be to minimize it.

Just like giving money to homeless. Many do really need it and use it as represented and many are abusing your good will and essentially ripping you off. All we can do is try to use descernment and not worry about the outcome of you giving, but enjoy the benefits that come to you for your giving.

• Blew By You

So no elevation, but Disney certainly did a fantastic job of pushing down, blaming, downgrading the disabled population.
    How did they handle the actual people who abused the system? They went after the disabled folks who used the GAC well. Disney lumped everyone into the same guilt pot. That's Disney's sense of fairness.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast