Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: One more GAC thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    One way is for security to monitor the lines and remove guests that are apparently faking thier way. The real abusers stand out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately CM's are told to not question and for good reason. But security should be and used to be there to enforce rule and proper behaviour.
    What happens when the child battling serious illnesses who is having a really good day is called out as a faker by Security?

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    So no elevation, but Disney certainly did a fantastic job of pushing down, blaming, downgrading the disabled population.
    How did they handle the actual people who abused the system? They went after the disabled folks who used the GAC well. Disney lumped everyone into the same guilt pot. That's Disney's sense of fairness.
    Disney really wants to avoid weighing in on who is "abusing" this system and who isn't. People on these forums talk about their "hidden disabilities" all the time, and Disney certainly isn't going to get into the business of judging which of those are legitimate and which aren't. Beyond that I think (but may be wrong) that they're barred from making that sort of judgment in the first place by the ADA.

I think Disney is trying to do the right thing here. I'll reserve judgment until it's actually implemented but this seems like a great way to actually assist those guests who need the assistance while discouraging the "abusers" from using the system in the first place. That way they don't have to judge who "deserves" the pass or not. If the system works--and I suspect it will once they get the kinks out--then it will still provide assistance to those who need it while not being a good enough deal for those who are completely able-bodied but simply want to get on rides without waiting in line.

One way is for security to monitor the lines and remove guests that are apparently faking thier way. The real abusers stand out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately CM's are told to not question and for good reason. But security should be and used to be there to enforce rule and proper behaviour.
    So you think someone with a below-the-knee amputation who is walking unusually well on their prosthetic that day should be yanked out of line and humiliated? Yeah, nothing illegal about that.

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    What happens when the child battling serious illnesses who is having a really good day is called out as a faker by Security?
    someone who is "battling" illness, would have no problem proving or substantiating it.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    So you think someone with a below-the-knee amputation who is walking unusually well on their prosthetic that day should be yanked out of line and humiliated? Yeah, nothing illegal about that.
    if they're in the handicap line, a mere mention of a prosthetic should suffice. Don't over dramatize it.

if they're in the handicap line, a mere mention of a prosthetic should suffice. Don't over dramatize it.
    A mere mention of a prosthetic is illegal and in violation of ADA. Having to mention your prosthetic is humiliating for those who don't want to draw attention to it, hence why it is illegal. I didn't over dramatize anything. You cannot, cannot, require someone to prove their disability.

• Disney Philosopher

For all the "what if'ers". 99% of the time it's easy to spot the fakers and a simple question or 2 can make a substantiation. The issue is get the fakers, not the real GAC'ers.

BTW, for those who don't know. If you use a cane or wheel chair or some other apparent device your not even required to get a GAC, you can get in handicap line without it.

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    A mere mention of a prosthetic is illegal and in violation of ADA. Having to mention your prosthetic is humiliating for those who don't want to draw attention to it, hence why it is illegal. I didn't over dramatize anything. You cannot, cannot, require someone to prove their disability.
    Actually your wrong, it is not in violation of ADA. ADA has nothing to do with an inquiry. It is the HIPAA act. And it's only states that all inquiries are to be confidential and safeguarded.
    Last edited by Mark Twain; 09-19-2013 at 10:48 AM.

• Mistress of Evil

Mark Twain, are you familiar with HIPAA laws? You cannot expect a CM to be grilling guests on their disabilities in order for them to detemine what line they should be in...it would be a HIPPA violation.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by GiRiMama33 View Post
    Mark Twain, are you familiar with HIPAA laws? You cannot expect a CM to be grilling guests on their disabilities in order for them to detemine what line they should be in...it would be a HIPPA violation.
    I've been through HIPAA classes, worked with data in question, worked in secured documentation areas and handled customer side interactions where HIPAA concerns were primary.

There are ways that Disney could interact with guests that would satisfy even the most stringent HIPAA requirements - the people handling the DAS passes could be given the required training, all "inquiries" could be handled either electronically through touchpads or via paper forms, both then handled through a system restricting access to only those with legitimate needs to access them as well as the mandatory access tracking.

So long as Disney provides the a) needed, documented HIPAA training and b) follows and enforces basic document security protocols for electronic and physical copies of the data, HIPAA would not be an issue.

Trust me on that one There were a LOT of classes.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Disney Philosopher

I am extremely familiar with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). I never suggested that CM's should as you say grill guests.

For instance, to ask someone if they feel ok, if they are looking ill, is not a violation. EMT's and park nurses and security already ask many non-violation questions if some one needs attention. And that is not a violation. The only potential violation comes at he first aid office when filling out reports and names, condiotions and such. I am sure DL has that already figured out. It's not the asking thats a problem, it is the securing and sharing of the infor that becomes a HIPAA risk.

Actually your wrong, it is not in violation of ADA. ADA has nothing to do with an inquiry. It is the HIPPA act. And it's only states that all inquiries are to be confidential and safeguarded.
    ADA requires that you accommodate disabled guests without making them prove disability. Doctors cannot even diagnose someone as disabled without examining them, yet you expect security to just by eyeballing them? Questioning everyone who doesn't look disabled is unreasonable and illegal.

• Mistress of Evil

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I've been through HIPAA classes, worked with data in question, worked in secured documentation areas and handled customer side interactions where HIPAA concerns were primary.

There are ways that Disney could interact with guests that would satisfy even the most stringent HIPAA requirements - the people handling the DAS passes could be given the required training, all "inquiries" could be handled either electronically through touchpads or via paper forms, both then handled through a system restricting access to only those with legitimate needs to access them as well as the mandatory access tracking.

So long as Disney provides the a) needed, documented HIPAA training and b) follows and enforces basic document security protocols for electronic and physical copies of the data, HIPAA would not be an issue.

Trust me on that one There were a LOT of classes.
    From what I have read about the new system, not much is going to change by way of getting the DAS (they still go to City Hall or CoC and are asked "what type of accomodation they need?"). They cannot ask about the specific disability.

I am extremely familiar with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). I never suggested that CM's should as you say grill guests.

For instance, to ask someone if they feel ok, if they are looking ill, is not a violation. EMT's and park nurses and security already ask many non-violation questions if some one needs attention. And that is not a violation. The only potential violation comes at he first aid office when filling out reports and names, condiotions and such. I am sure DL has that already figured out. It's not the asking thats a problem, it is the securing and sharing of the infor that becomes a HIPAA risk.
    Just curious then...what questions are the CM's to ask guests in line in order to differentiate if they are where they should be there or not? It seems that if a guest is asked about their disability, there is no way to keep it confidential or safeguard it in a queue.

Just trying to understand how this would all work.

• Disney Philosopher

From what I have read about the new system, not much is going to change by way of getting the DAS (they still go to City Hall or CoC and are asked "what type of accomodation they need?"). They cannot ask about the specific disability.

Just curious then...what questions are the CM's to ask guests in line in order to differentiate if they are where they should be there or not? It seems that if a guest is asked about their disability, there is no way to keep it confidential or safeguard it in a queue.

Just trying to understand how this would all work.
    I NEVER SAID A CM SHOULD ASK ANYTHING OF ANYBODY. Someone else brought that up.

• Singing Drinker

You'd mentioned HIPAA concerns pretty heavily - just wanted to clarify. HIPAA's about document control and keeping patient information and records private within the requirements and concerns of admitting facilities, insurers and such. Disney would be required to protect such information if they came into contact with it as part of their policies, but it's not something that should directly impact this program beyond what happens to such info after they come into contact with it.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast