Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Disney Philosopher

Exclamation One more GAC thread

Why does everyone despise the disabled. All they focus on is the abuse and their own good times.

No one ever asks how can we make disabled or handicap peoples experience better. It's always"there in the way, they slow us down and we don't want to see that".

It's not only DL it's like this everywhere. One would hope at least at DL "the happiest place on earth", that those less fortunate would not be treated so poorly. That attitude is even on MiceChat.

Shame on all of us.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• Singing Drinker

Re: One more GAC thread

For what it's worth, I want the disabled to have roughly the same level of experience I get. The same lines (some of them are not punishments), the same waits, the same overall experience. More than that I want people taking advantage of the system - they do exist, I know a few personally and witness more - removed from the system and forced into using the park as the rest of us do.

The Today Show "investigative report" DID touch on a real, solid avenue of abuse and the company's taken something of a PR black eye for that. Some of the profiles of the GAC tours since then are thorny situations at best - someone with a legitimate, GAC-needing disability renting out slots in their party for no other reason than allowing these cash-bearing strangers to skip lines. Disney had to act if only for the sake of appearing to do something.

In a perfect world a guest in a wheelchair or on a cane or on a motorized scooter would simply assume their place in line with the rest of the public, and only those with legitimate medical reasons for why they cannot wait in line would be given passes to avoid them. However, Disney's not allowed to ask for that verification and that limits the avenues open to them.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

I don't despise the disabled at all. I want Disney to accommodate them in any way possible so that they can experience the park in the best possible way, even if it ends up being an inconvenience to me. The problem is the people who abuse the system and get a GAC when they don't actually need one. It's an epidemic in Southern California, and it's not just Disneyland. There is a real problem right now with people handicapped parking placards who don't need them, and also having "service animals" as a way to get around rules about not being able to take your pet places like restaurants or grocery stores. The people who are not disabled and try to take advantage of the system are the ones I despise, primarily because it now makes it a little bit harder on the legitimately disabled. I can tell you firsthand that it is extremely difficult to find a handicapped parking spot almost anywhere you go because everyone has a handicapped placard now.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I think you're misunderstanding the GAC thread. People don't dislike the disabled or want them not to enjoy the parks. What people DON'T like is people who are not disabled pretending to be in hopes of having a shorter wait time. I have not seen one instance where someone said they don't want disabled people to visit Disneyland.

Additionally, cutting down on abuse will help the disabled because they won't have able bodied liars choking up the disabled access and increasing their wait times.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Who is despising the disabled? The only reaction I've seen so far about the DAS is positive. The system is more enforced now, so people who aren't disabled can't abuse it.

• Minion

We are criticizing the people who abuse the system and ruin the fun for everyone else.

• Rock Star Minion

We should focus on the abuse.
    And how to eliminate it.
    Twainy, are you fer it, or ag'in' it?
    Last edited by sediment; 09-18-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• The doctor is in

No one despises the disabled. I think what people, including myself, despise is the abuse of the policies for the disabled. The mindset of some is that because of their disability they deserve over the moon treatment that sets them aside from other guests. I don't agree with that. Everyone should be accommodated equally and the GAC abuse needs to end. Period.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Seasick

I'd like to see examples of this alleged "despising" of disabled people.

Hopefully this will eliminate much of the abuse while still giving the truly disabled guests the access they need.

I've always said that disabled guests should have their wait times reduced a bit, whether a queue is wheelchair accessible or not (as one example).

We have to keep in mind that someone with a mobility issue may not be able to do things we take for granted, like being at the park at rope drop, or dashing around the park to grab their next fastpass.

Someone with a disability may take longer to do everyday things like use a restroom. If their wait time for an attraction is less than mine, that's great. The hard part is finding the balance where it's not so much of an "advantage" that people are motivated to cheat the system.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Hopefully this will eliminate much of the abuse while still giving the truly disabled guests the access they need.
    This.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Who said they had a problem with disabled people? Certainly not me.

•   
    • Minion

I don't think anyone despises the disabled - but I do have to say that on this board and at the parks I've occasionally seen a lack of understanding for those with invisible illnesses or disabilities. I've seen so many posts about people in the GAC lines who are "obviously" healthy and must be scamming the system and it's hurtful. It always makes me wonder if people think the same of ME when I use my GAC, because outwardly you would never know I've got bad injuries/a condition that makes it impossible for me to climb stairs. I remember seeing a thread (maybe not here) where they criticized a young girl who was in a wheelchair and was laughing as her friends pushed her, so she obviously was scamming - and all I could think of is a girl with cystic fibrosis I used to know, who was 21, looked okay and went to Disney in a wheelchair while her friends pushed her and laughed. She died about six months later. Point being, you absolutely never know.

Yes, there are plenty of people who do scam the system - the expose of the "tour guides" showed that - but the point is always that you never know the story and looking healthy is not the same as BEING healthy and completely ambulatory.

And also, I wish people would remember that for those of us who have a legit need for GACs, it's the only way we can enjoy the rides. Hey, I'd love to go in through the standy/single rider/etc. line at Splash Mountain, the way I used to. It would certainly save me some time. However, with all those stairs, there's no way.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Rock Star Minion

I do despise straw men, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    Why does everyone despise the disabled.
    "Everyone" is such a broad term.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I'm not happy with the change, personally. My daughter has a rare disease where she must be covered 100% from the sun. On a hot day at Disneyland, waiting in lines that for the most part have sun exposure (shade doesn't help, she must still be covered 100%)

In the past a "green light" GAC was given to the few people with this rare condition.

Now, that "green light" type access will only be available from Make-A-Wish.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast