Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Backpack or not?

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Funny, I purposely swing my backpack to get people to back up and give me my bubble. Another benefit of having one!
    Nice ;-) However, when you are behind me, you are in charge of your own bubble.

Thanks for the advice! We are staying on property so I don't plan on bringing jackets into the park with us. We will be going back to the room for an afternoon rest. Maybe I will try the daypack in the morning and if it doesn't work out I can leave it in the room in the afternoon.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I've experimented through the years bringing different types of bags. I gave up on purses long ago. Now I just stick to backpacks and have carried a simple Jansport, a North Face and an REI. The most comfortable by far for all day or multiple days was the REI one. The straps didn't cut me or rub my shoulders and armpit area as much as the other two. I tend to have a kind of heavy load since I bring water bottles with me and snacks and such so I need a pack that can evenly distribute the load and also keep me comfortable. Your best bet would be to look into a heavy duty type day pack (the ones at Sports Authority or any sports store) because they have lots of pockets and are structured to be able to withstand all day use.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Chief Troublemaker

When DH goes, I carry a small Baggalini cross body w/built in wallet. Since he totes a backpack for his camera stuff, he carries the water bottles & bigger stuff. My bag carries my 'essentials'. When BFF & I went last February, I carried a Baggalini Messenger, a sling strap backpack, which was perfect since I had to carry all my own stuff. BUT I just got a Dooney Mickey/Minnie letter carrier, which is the same 'model' BFF used & loved. Really only big enough to carry cell, small wallet, & keys. She just seemed so 'unweighed down'. Since we stay onsite, I'm trying to convince myself that most of what I consider 'essentials' really aren't so I can 'travel light'!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

I always use a drawstring backpack (the kind with string straps and you pull the sides to close the top). It's the perfect size. Slightly bigger than a purse, but smaller than a large backpack. And I can fit it on every single ride in the park. It's perfect.

Name:  31uE2Th4QGL.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  11.8 KB

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I favour a single-strapped shoulder bag with the strap running diagonally across my chest and the bag at hip level. It allows easy access and you can just swing it on to your lap when boarding a ride.

It's not a handbag... it's a MANbag!
    Quote Originally Posted by ExurbanKev View Post
    We're going in a few weeks, and I'm finding that a sling bag/messenger bag/Man Purse is more than up task of carrying everything my family of four needs to survive a day in DLR/DCA.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    It's not a handbag... it's a MANbag!
    It's a SATCHEL! Indiana Jones had one! (I can't believe no one beat me to this?)

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    Nice ;-) However, when you are behind me, you are in charge of your own bubble.
    For sure! Thou who art behindith, art in charge of thine bubble. It's a Disney Parks commandment.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

My great-uncle was a buyer for Hudson Bay Company back in the 50's and saw great potential for Swiss mountain backpacks for schoolbooks and other items. They were the first to sell them in North America and they were an instant success.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

By backpack Im referring to what some are now calling day packs, not backpacker / hosteler / hiker / camper bags

Backpack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindyv321 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! We are staying on property so I don't plan on bringing jackets into the park with us. We will be going back to the room for an afternoon rest. Maybe I will try the daypack in the morning and if it doesn't work out I can leave it in the room in the afternoon.
    Awesome post but you see what you started?

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

The term 'daypack' is totally new to me. I never knew there were different kind of backpacks. I just thought a backpack was a backpack I always used my school backpack... daypack? Now I'm all confused :T

• Selfie Expert

Hehe I feel the same way. If I were referring to one of the huge hiking/camping packs, I would specify it. Different terminology, I suppose!

My backpack is just the common Jansport.

One of my friends brought her son's backpack, with lots of pockets and stuff, and we all about lost our patience on her when every SINGLE time she had to show her ticket she would have to search through like four different pockets to find it.

I bought her a two-pocket Jansport for Christmas to take on our next DL trip.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Good thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by l0nepinemall View Post
    I always use a drawstring backpack (the kind with string straps and you pull the sides to close the top). It's the perfect size. Slightly bigger than a purse, but smaller than a large backpack. And I can fit it on every single ride in the park. It's perfect.

Name:  31uE2Th4QGL.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  11.8 KB
    That's the only backpack I've ever brought, especially useful when I went to the 24-hour event on May 24. Since it was cool in the morning I could wear and carry everything I brought and fold the backup up to fit in a pocket (it's easier through security with no bag!) and then put articles of clothing in it and carry them on my back as it warmed up in the morning. When it cooled down again I could take clothing out, replacing it with stuff I'd accumulated over the day (souvenir t-shirt, bottle, etc.). And it closes tightly on top and fits under a jacket, making it very secure.

I always bring a backpack because by the end of the first night, my girlfriend will have bought a blanket to put over herself during the firework show. The last time she bought a Mickey snuggie before the Fantasmic. And I'll need to be able to put the blanket somewhere.

But as someone who backpacks for fun, I pretty much know what I need. And I don't need to carry a lot of stuff. The backpack is mainly to just put stuff in that I bought in stores. Other than that, I have some snack food and water. I don't expect to carry more than 15 lbs no matter what I buy in the stores, so I end up bringing my ultra light gossamer gear murmur that I use for weekend backpacking trips. It's super light and has great straps that don't bother me at all.

http://gossamergear.com/murmur-hyperlight-backpack.html

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    That's the only backpack I've ever brought, especially useful when I went to the 24-hour event on May 24. Since it was cool in the morning I could wear and carry everything I brought and fold the backup up to fit in a pocket (it's easier through security with no bag!) and then put articles of clothing in it and carry them on my back as it warmed up in the morning. When it cooled down again I could take clothing out, replacing it with stuff I'd accumulated over the day (souvenir t-shirt, bottle, etc.). And it closes tightly on top and fits under a jacket, making it very secure.
    Sorry but this is what I pictured

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast