Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Is Disney legally required to offer a guest assistance program?

I'm confused,

Is DAS/GAC supposed to offer special treatment to patrons, or just equal access?

Are people upset that their special treatment is being in some way diminished?

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    By that point in the line it just seems really pointless to go over that extra hump of taking the elevator to the other side when you could technically load right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    That happened to us this last time because we loaded from one side and ended up on the other. Since my friend needs to directly transfer from ride vehicle to wheelchair, we got to ride again. The people in our row were really grateful because we told the CM's they were with us.
    With regards to the elevators, I don't think they are pointless. When you think about it, there is one CM there in charge of telling people where to sit and kind of arranging everybody so they fit, and then filling in the extra seats with single riders. Everyone needs to go to THAT person to get their seats 'reserved' for them. The elevator takes you to them because in the case of the rides you mentioned, Indy and Screamin', that person is in the middle island part.
    Also, if you have to transfer directly from wheelchair to the vehicle, then when you get in from the MIDDLE it doesn't matter which side you come back to; you can always exit the opposite direction of everyone else towards the middle island where you left the wheelchair, and then take the elevator back over to the exit side. If you were to load into the car from the exit side, not taking the elevator, and leaving your wheelchair there, then you might accidentally come back on the wrong side and they would have no way of getting you back to the wheelchair; someone would have to go get it for you and bring it to the middle through the elevator anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    I'm confused,

Is DAS/GAC supposed to offer special treatment to patrons, or just equal access?

Are people upset that their special treatment is being in some way diminished?
    Both systems are designed to offer equal or near-equal access to the majority of rides, generally to people with non-visible handicaps (example: MS) or non-physical disabilities (example: autism).

However, the GAC had a kind of side effect of allowing people using it to wait LESS time for many (but not all) attractions, varying based on what kind of stamp you got. The word on that slowly got out over the years, especially to locals like college kids with APs (speaking only from my own experience with classmates here), and invited some abuse such as people lying or exaggerating needs they had to get a pass "to skip lines".

My understanding of the DAS details that were reported here are that it will still provide alternative ways to experience most attractions, but was redesigned in order to make the amount of time someone waits a lot more equal to what the general public is waiting.

In terms of physical handicaps and wheelchair accessibility, DAS doesn't change anything that is already there, but MiceChat reported that they are going to be dedicating money to improving wheelchair access in the queues in Disneyland, which I think is great! I think it is so silly that a ride like Indiana Jones was built to be wheelchair accessible all the way through the queue and then they haven't even used it since they changed the queue to put in FP (another way FP is destroying our lives, for all you FP haters? In this case you might be right).

Flynnibus really gave a great synopsis, that people are saying things like "we used to be able to do 10 rides in our 5-hr visit, but with the changes we will maybe be able to do half that"... The main thing seems to be that people are upset about the additional time they will have to spend to ride each ride? However, since the general public is averaging about 5 rides in 5 hours, it is still equal access. Disney hasn't given any indication that they will be making anything HARDER on anyone, they are just making it not as FAST (which was not the intention of the GAC system in the first place).
    And the system seems to be a "reservation" system similar to FP to me, which is what I use when I want to go on 'more rides in less time'. So, say at 11am on a Sunday morning I get into the park: I could get a FP for Space Mountain, which might be good to use two hours from now, and I could spend those two hours waiting in line for Indiana Jones (1 hour) and then riding Pirates (30 mins), Winnie the Pooh, Snow White, and Pinnochio (30 mins), and then return to Space Mountain with FP (+15 mins).
    A family with a non-physical handicap (say a 12 year old with autism) could get a FP for Space Mountain, just like me, good 2 hours from now. Then they could go to the DAS kiosk, see that the wait for Indy is 1 hour, and be given a reservation to return to the Indy FP line in 45 mins. In that hour when I am waiting in the Indy standby line, they are also waiting to ride Indy. Only, they can use the first 45 minutes to ride two rides like Buzz Lightyear AND Storybookland (slightly over 20 mins each)! They they return to Indy and ride about at the same time I do. We can all then go together to my other ride choices for the 2nd hour before returning to our Space Mountain FP. (If they are smart, between Indy and Pirates they will stop by the other DAS kiosk and make a DAS reservation for Splash Mountain which has a 2 hour wait, because dang it is getting hot on this Sunday afternoon. They would be able to ride it 45 mins after we get off Space.)
    The 12 year old with autism will not once have to stand in a line longer than 20 mins, with this plan.
    In 2.25 hrs flat, Me: 7 rides. Family using DAS: 9 rides.

So, in my eyes, this seems like it's going to be a very equitable system. Considering it will allow users of a DAS card to be able to experience still MORE attractions than a guest not using one, it may still even be a bit of special treatment! It will be similar to having 2 tickets to get FPs with instead of just 1.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Strike,

So it sounds like the new system eliminates a benefit the system was never designed to confer and that it ensures equal accessibility without giving preferential treatment. I'm surprised so many people with disabilities are upset about it rather than showcasing it as a step in the right direction.

Then again, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Anytime people get special treatment, they can easily become entitled.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234