Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Saying goodbye to my AP tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    So after work today I'm going to the parks for the last time in probably quite a while. Like many people I've decided to give up my AP because the cost combined with how crowded Disneyland always is now has made me decide that it's just not worth it. So I'm deciding which rides and restaurant to hit for my final visit. I didn't make it on HM last Friday, so that's a must. I usually go at night after work and CA Screamin is always closed by the time I get there, so I'm going to try to get there before it closes and hit that first. I'll skip RSR just because it takes too much time out of the few hours I have there, and I'll try to hit Tower and Soarin. Then I'll head over to DL. I think for dinner I'm going to go with the Hungry Bear. That's actually been the hardest thing for me to decide. My overall favorite restaurant in the park is the French Market but I've eaten there several times in the past few months. I like the Carnation Cafe, some things at Pizza Port, the Royal St Verandah, the Plaza Inn, and of course the Blue Bayou, but every trip to DL I ever took as a kid we ate at the Hungry Bear, so there's a lot of childhood memories there. I'll definitely make sure to go on Indy since I haven't seen it since they changed the voice back, and then I'll try to get on Space Mountain, but if the line's an hour long I'll go ahead and skip it since I really don't care about the Ghost Galaxy thing. So I figure I'll get to the park around 7:30PM, so we'll see how much I can accomplish in 4 1/2 hours.
    That's unfortunate. I gave mine up after three years in early August of '12. The following January I was able to renew again. Unfortunately, the cost is part of finding the equilibrium with crowds. (In my first year or two of having my pass, Disney closed for capacity a few times. Since the big increase last year, has that happened again?)

Hopefully you get back soon!

I've noticed that the crowds this summer were MUCH lighter than last summer or even in 2011.

Also when I renewed my Deluxe pass in person on the 18th of last month, I was given the old prices ($449) instead of $479 like the website and renewal letters were asking.

I think Disney is starting to see a big drop off of APs, other wise they would not have increased the renewal discounts for Premium or SoCal passes.

Just because you don't have an AP doesn't mean you can't visit once or twice a year.

Also think about the people who live in other countries and only get to go once every 5-10 years like me! The busy crowds don't seem as bad then maybe

I've never been lucky enough to live close enough to a Disney park to be an annual passholder. But, I like the thought of moving near Orlando or Anaheim when my kids are grown and my husband is retired. If we do that, we'll definitely be annual passholders.

I see people complain about the APs here on these forums, but I've never understood their complaints. To me, the AP sounds like an amazing deal for someone who likes going to the park on a regular basis. If you even go just once a month, it is much cheaper than 12 one day admissions would be for a person. But, I think if you are someone who does not plan on going every month then it's not worth it.

I happen to be a member of our local zoo and I go once a month in all the warm months. That more than pays for an annual membership for my family. I think the members' pass paid for itself after three visits and often my kids and I will go three times to the zoo in just May or June alone. We also buy a refillable soda cup that the zoo sells: it is $15 for a full year of use and every year they have a new cup on January 1st. So it's unlimited refills for the whole year until the next cup is released. I pack us a lunch, get free refills on pop all day, free admission to the zoo, free parking...and it's a great deal for us.

I try to imagine what it would be like to live as close to Disneyland or WDW as I do our zoo and be an AP holder. What sort of perks would I be looking for and what would I consider as good deal on an annual pass? For me, I'd want free parking and I'd want the cost of an annual membership to be less than 12 visits to the park if I was paying regular admission. If that's the deal they offered, and I lived close enough, I'd be thrilled by it because no doubt if I was living out near Anaheim or Orlando I'd be at the park much more than just once a month.

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    Just because you don't have an AP doesn't mean you can't visit once or twice a year.

Also think about the people who live in other countries and only get to go once every 5-10 years like me! The busy crowds don't seem as bad then maybe
    True, but the trip isn't worth the cost of the one-day ticket to many.

And to all whose AP's have expired: I'm pretty sure Disney will take your money if you ever want to purchase an AP at any time in the future. Same goes to anyone who has never purchased one.

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    So after work today I'm going to the parks for the last time in probably quite a while. Like many people I've decided to give up my AP because the cost combined with how crowded Disneyland always is now has made me decide that it's just not worth it. So I'm deciding which rides and restaurant to hit for my final visit. I didn't make it on HM last Friday, so that's a must. I usually go at night after work and CA Screamin is always closed by the time I get there, so I'm going to try to get there before it closes and hit that first. I'll skip RSR just because it takes too much time out of the few hours I have there, and I'll try to hit Tower and Soarin. Then I'll head over to DL. I think for dinner I'm going to go with the Hungry Bear. That's actually been the hardest thing for me to decide. My overall favorite restaurant in the park is the French Market but I've eaten there several times in the past few months. I like the Carnation Cafe, some things at Pizza Port, the Royal St Verandah, the Plaza Inn, and of course the Blue Bayou, but every trip to DL I ever took as a kid we ate at the Hungry Bear, so there's a lot of childhood memories there. I'll definitely make sure to go on Indy since I haven't seen it since they changed the voice back, and then I'll try to get on Space Mountain, but if the line's an hour long I'll go ahead and skip it since I really don't care about the Ghost Galaxy thing. So I figure I'll get to the park around 7:30PM, so we'll see how much I can accomplish in 4 1/2 hours.
    Good luck squeezing everything in!

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Good luck squeezing everything in!
    Thanks, I'll post on here tomorrow with how many of those rides I was actually able to get on. The wait times on MouseWait right now look pretty good (10 min for Indy, 45 min for Space Mountain), but of course that will change once people get off of work. I'm hoping that the light rain keeps up so that it will keep more people away from the parks (plus Disneyland at night looks gorgeous in the rain).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Suspended

No, DL is awful in teh rain!! Everyone should just stay away. It sucks so bad!

(Just trying to help you out.)

• Disneyland Dreamer

Without a HUGE DVC annual point allotment, I don't think I could ever justify an AP. I'd simply not be able to make enough trips to make it worth it. Look on the bright side... you likely got a HUGE value out of your AP. Maybe you'll see the ROI again in the future.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Ah I remember my last day with my AP. As much as I loved going to Disneyland almost every weekend, I let my pass expire last December. The prices for the AP just got too ridiculous for me. I do miss going to Disneyland though I wanted my last trip with my pass to end with a bang, but sadly due to the rain on the day I went, I wasn't able to accomplish all the things that I wanted to do (like watch Fantasmic). I hope your last day fairs a lot better than mine!

We'll it costs me about $2000pp for my fiancé and I to visit from Australia and is do it once a year if she'd let me!

• Selfie Expert

We had a deluxe pass this year, our first year with an AP, and it worked out beautifully. The busiest days were blocked out for us, so they weren't days we would want to attend, anyway. We must have the best luck in the world, as the days we visited were not crowded unless we hit a weekend evening (which one would expect to be crowded).

We our letting our APs expire not because of crowds or even the cost of the AP itself, but due to us expecting our first baby, and being out of town the cost of gas and hotel were more prohibitive than the AP. The value of an AP, to me, should be based solely on how much you'll use it. If you aren't going to go to the parks (for ANY reason... crowds, disability, etc) then why pay for it?

I hope you have an amazing time tonight!! Squeeze every last bit of happiness you can out of your trip, and I look forward to hearing about how it went!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

I dumped mine in 2010 when I moved back to Canada from San Diego, but I was going to either way, just didn't see enough value in it for me.

Now I am not sure if I'll ever step foot inside a Disney Park again. (limited income now)

We will be letting our APs expire as well. Whatever you end up doing, I hope your last visit is a really great one!!

• Former Churro Jockey

So overall I was pretty happy with last night. Parking was interesting. I parked in the Toy Story lot like always, and they directed me to the Pongo parking section, which I never even knew existed! The parking lot looked like it was recently paved so maybe they just added it?

I ended up arriving at DCA a little later then I wanted at about 8:15PM or so. I walked by Soarin and the Fastpass return time was 9:35PM - 10:00PM, so I grabbed one in case the lines for Screamin and Tower were long. When I go to California Screamin it was supposed to already be closed for the night, but the CM was super cool and let me hop in what was left of the line they were clearing out. It only took about 5 min to get on the ride. I also got to see a group of three guys getting tossed out of the park for being super drunk. They had been trying to get on Screamin, and I got there right as two security guards were confronting them. Then I headed over to Tower. For some reason, this ended up being the longest line of the night. The posted wait time was 60 minutes but it actually ended up being closer to 75. Both rides were awesome and I'm glad I got to do them last night. I got off of Tower around 9:45PM or so and I was able to use the Fastpass for Soarin, so overall things were working out pretty well. However, I was a little disapointed with Soarin because there were these weird random black blotches that kept appearing and disappearing on the screen. I don't know if Soarin is digital or film, but it seemed like film that was damaged.

I headed over to Disneyland right at 10PM as DCA was closing. I snagged a Fastpass for Indy as I was walking past, which was still available for 11:00PM - 12:00AM. I went to the Hungry Bear first but it had already closed for the night. I got in line for the Haunted Mansion to make sure that I didn't miss that. I guess I wasn't the only one who couldn't find the back of the line last week because they actually had a Mansion CM standing at the back of the line with a sign that said Haunted Mansion Line Entrance (or something like that, I don't remember the wording). It was just like Knott's Scary Farm only the sign was nicer, and I want to say it was even lit up but I could be wrong about that. The line went all through the fountain area of New Orleans Square but it actually only took about 40 min. I liked the new effect in the elevator, but when it started about 20 people whipped out their smart phones to record the effect. It kind of killed it a little bit. But the ride was awesome and I really enjoyed it.

I got off of the ride about 11:20PM, so I headed over to Indy. I was hoping that Bengal BBQ might still be open but it wasn't. I used my Fastpass to get in the queue, but even with the Fastpass it still was about a 20 minute wait. Indy was having a couple of problems that kind of bummed me out. The door in the first part of the ride was open so you could see the car in front of you go through and see the effects on Mara's face before it was your turn. That kind of killed it a little bit. The effects were awesome and I do love what they've done with it, but it is so loud in that room that I couldn't hear Mara talking at all. Then when we got to the boulder scene, the boulder was already illuminated and you could see it just spinning in place the whole time. I know that there is always a tension between closing a ride when the show quality is not up to standard and keeping it open for the sake of the people who are visiting Disneyland for the first (and maybe only) time. I would have preferred that they close it, but I totally understand why they didn't.

So when I exited Indy, it was just about midnight and I still hadn't had dinner yet. I checked the Plaza Inn but it was closed, and the only thing I found open was the Jolly Holiday Bakery. I've never eaten there because the menu didn't look that interesting. I didn't think the food was anything special, but it actually turned out to be a really nice way to finish of the evening sitting in the courtyard and watching the park empty out. I stayed until about 12:45AM or so, took a final walk around the hub and got some good pictures of Frontierland, the Castle, and Tomorrowland with no people in them.

So overall it was a great way to finish off my annual pass. I don't plan on getting another one in the forseeable future, but we'll see how long I last before I have to go back!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast