Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Saying goodbye to my AP tonight

So after work today I'm going to the parks for the last time in probably quite a while. Like many people I've decided to give up my AP because the cost combined with how crowded Disneyland always is now has made me decide that it's just not worth it. So I'm deciding which rides and restaurant to hit for my final visit. I didn't make it on HM last Friday, so that's a must. I usually go at night after work and CA Screamin is always closed by the time I get there, so I'm going to try to get there before it closes and hit that first. I'll skip RSR just because it takes too much time out of the few hours I have there, and I'll try to hit Tower and Soarin. Then I'll head over to DL. I think for dinner I'm going to go with the Hungry Bear. That's actually been the hardest thing for me to decide. My overall favorite restaurant in the park is the French Market but I've eaten there several times in the past few months. I like the Carnation Cafe, some things at Pizza Port, the Royal St Verandah, the Plaza Inn, and of course the Blue Bayou, but every trip to DL I ever took as a kid we ate at the Hungry Bear, so there's a lot of childhood memories there. I'll definitely make sure to go on Indy since I haven't seen it since they changed the voice back, and then I'll try to get on Space Mountain, but if the line's an hour long I'll go ahead and skip it since I really don't care about the Ghost Galaxy thing. So I figure I'll get to the park around 7:30PM, so we'll see how much I can accomplish in 4 1/2 hours.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Foolish Mortal

Re: Saying goodbye to my AP tonight

My wife and I are also at the crossroads. Her AP expires tomorrow, and mine expires next Saturday. We've been on the fence but I think we will renew. I totally understand your decision to not renew, and all those factors you listed are at the top of our lists as well.

I hope you keep posting here because I've always enjoyed reading your insider perspective and stories about DL. Oh yeah, we'll be there this evening too.

I would say Hungry Bear, but the boats probably won't be running then, which is a bummer, because that's a pure Disney feeling type of spot. So I'm voting for Carnation Cafe. Very historic, very Disney. Who knows, maybe it will be enough to make you change your mind

and I too will be there!

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

I have also joined the AP defection club, after 50 yrs or going to the park and living only 10 mins away and being a huge fan (the inside of my home litterally looks like the HM). I too have decided to call it quits. Due to the almost 50% increase in monthly price and being disabled and having to use a wheelchair it has become too onerous to deal with the stress, delays, hassles and outright hostility I have experienced from many CM's in the last few years. Ironically Disney sent me an email saying "we want you back" and even offered my the same AP at the same monthly Price ($18 more for down payment) I guess it pays off not to renew and get their lower price offer a few weeks later.

Now with this new DAS system I am confident I made the right decision.
    sadly for me tho my trips to the park was my ONLY time spent away from home.
    I guess now I need to make my home even more like the Mansion and Pirates so I can just relive the experience here at home.....

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

We said goodbye a year ago, almost to the day. I do miss going but know that when we eventually do go back it will be that much more enjoyable.

• Blew By You

After getting wind of the GAC stuff, we're discussing it. For now, we have them until June 2014.

• Minion

I will be holding off on my AP renewal. I don't know when I will renew it, but I'm planning on having one for the 60th.

Enjoy your last trip!
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

For me I would say the fireworks is a must if it was my last night and the Plaza Inn for chicken.

As for the crowds it may be me but it seems like they are some what little than previous years. Wonder if a lot of APers have dropped off. I did get my renewal letter and was surprised that if I renew I get $40 off my pass. I wasn't going to renew but since I got a few Disney Gift cards and canceled my cable I thought that Disney would be my form of entertainment. I think it's actually cheaper too!

• Murphy Lover

I totally understand you pain. My pass expired in May and my sons expired in January and I have been having major withdrawls. We finally came to a decision that we are going to get new ones, I am upset cuz I should have just kept them but oh well, what are you going to do.

Have a fun last night! On my "last day" my boyfriend took me too Carthay Circle for dinner, that was really special.

Enjoy!
    Jennifer
    http://www.facebook.com/cadensmama
    Disneyland Cast Member - Class of 2006 - January 2006 - July 2006 Fanstasyland Stores Lead

• Former Churro Jockey

The Plaza Inn would have been my second choice (and depending on how long it takes me to get over to DL I may end up eating there if the Hungry Bear has already closed. I think it closes at 9pm but I'm not totally sure). If I can conveniently see the fireworks I will, but I'm not going to camp out for an hour in order to see them. I saw them every night for three years back in the 90's so I'm pretty much good for the rest of my life as far as the fireworks go.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I've just started my AP journey (never lived close enough to have one, until now), but I can totally understand why some people are choosing not to renew. I can only say I wish you a lot of luck on your last day, and that you are able to hit up everything you really want to.

• Goofy

i feel you there. it is so not worth it anymore now days

•   
    • Minion

Mine is expiring in October. I'm pretty sure I will be renewing, but I'm somewhat ambivalent about it, given all the shakeups that have happened lately. I'm waiting until the last minute to renew so I can think it over. What I do know is that I will not be upgrading the pass, as I'd originally intended to do.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My Annual Pass situation is probably one of the minority situations in the mix of all Annual Passholders. I live in Chicago. I used to be able to visit about once a year, and I would buy at least a 6 day parkhopper, and I'd plan a week's vacation to California. My costs, would then be hotel, airfare, parkhopper, and food/souvenir money.

Recently, I have been able to use my timeshare points to book a nice hotel for a week, or even longer. I am 66 years old, and my husband tells me to "Go to Disneyland, and enjoy myself". So an Annual Pass cuts my ticket costs way down. I have no hotel costs, and when I plan far enough ahead, I can get a pretty good price on airfare. I travel alone usually, and so my meal costs are minimal.

So I will be renewing my pass in 2014, and hope to make two trips at least of a week's duration each.

I certainly understand other people's reasoning behind either renewing, or not renewing their AP. Money, and crowds do seem to be on the top of the list of reasons.

• Minion

Whatever you do it will be better than my "last visit" on my pass (last January) since I got sick that weekend and couldn't go! It would have brought my visit count on the web site up to a nice round number but I'd already used it a ridiculous number of times and HM hadn't come back from HMH yet so it didn't upset me too much. I was able to go twice this year, though. I bought a one-park-one-day ticket for the 24-hour event and stayed in Disneyland. Just prior to that I won a ticket from the Disney Parks Blog to return exactly a week later to see the new Magical Map show (which opened to the non-AP public the day after the 24-hour event) in the late afternoon and spend the rest of the evening in the park.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast