Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingdolt View Post
    I like this statement. Thank you.

honestly, it's not a right, to skip ahead. That would be giving a preferential treatment to one person over another and that is not fair. Fast passing in lieu of line skipping is fair.
    I, would never expect the parks to hand me a line skipping gold card, but that's me.

Ive been in the park with a disabled family member and never once did we take advantage of the GAC. We felt it was not fair to begin with, despite the challenges we had with our disabled family member. We made it through the park, happily and successfully. Fulfilled.

I believe the parks should only comply with ADA rules and suggestions, only.
    You just dont get it.

There are all kinds of disabilities, some people like me for instance are weak and only have enough strength for a brief visit for me I can only stay 3.5 hrs before I have to go back home to bed and take 2 days to recover from that visit. Also a relatively healthy person can be in a line for an hour a ill person just doesnt have the stamina to do that or they cant be in the sun for long or maybe they might have to rush to a restroom because their body is not working right.

This isnt special or privaledged or entitled treatment they need but compassionate understanding that some people have special needs.

I know the usual reaction to this is "well if your that ill you should stay at home in bed"
    well I tell you thats what I do all month I only get to go out to see a doctor or have blood tests etc going to Disneyland is my therapy it gets me out of the house in the fresh air where I can see stimulating interesting things and it makes me feel better and possibly lengthens my life by raising my spirits.

There are not alot of people in this condition its a very small percentage surely all the healthy people can allow a say less than 1% the opportunity to enjoy what they get to enjoy freely.

And besides I am too ill go on the most popular thrill rides that have long lines but there are few they do get long lines that I can go on like the submarine or occasionallly pirates has a long line etc.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

I think people with certain disabilities should not have to go to the kiosh, get a return time based on the line time wait. Wait for the return time and then have to go get in the Fastpass line. The time they have spent waiting FOR the return time was already the line wait. So why are they now having to wait in a second line? Making them wait the regular line time and then putting them in another line, even a FP line is DOUBLING their wait time.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Quote Originally Posted by hhsdc34 View Post
    So your telling me it's a 'right' of the disabled to be first in line all the time? Could you point out the section of the ADA that states that?
    I will tell you all what is going to happen as this happens all the time in out capitalist society.
    A law is passed to help people out it makes corporations comply and corporations dont like to spend money to comply to laws, so they use their lawyers to find ways around it etc. The ADA is honestly written wrong. and Disney co is following the letter of the law not the spirit of it. they are so so you disabled people what to be able to access everything ok get in line like everyone else theres your equal treatment. since Disney is a big company this will create an uproar and lawsuits that people who are really ill cant get in long lines and need special quicker less taxing access and a new law will be created and this new law will force companies like Disney to take even further measures. Whe nthey could just understand the underlying problem and take pro active measures now but they wont do that they will instead listen to their lawyers who will say the law says you only have to do this to be in compliance. This will also engender allot of negative image towards Disney and they loose a % of their good image and loose some customers and therefore $$$$$'s. They have a choice follow the law or follow whats right to help people who need help.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    I think people with certain disabilities should not have to go to the kiosh, get a return time based on the line time wait. Wait for the return time and then have to go get in the Fastpass line. The time they have spent waiting FOR the return time was already the line wait. So why are they now having to wait in a second line? Making them wait the regular line time and then putting them in another line, even a FP line is DOUBLING their wait time.
    And this is the same experience guests using FP have, and so it is fair.

It seems like there is some expectation for Disney to provide a jump to the head of queue option (such as provided by GAC). Disney has indicated this would be available for very special conditions (guests visiting via the Make a Wish Foundation, for example), but if they make this the standard, then DAS will be just as abused as GAC.

Wow, exactly GothicManor! The fundamental issue here is that you cannot treat people with special needs exactly the same as you treat people without special needs. That is why its called *special* needs.

I'm not debating the minimum ADA standards. I am discussing what is the right thing to do..

Badger, do you have to go to a Kiosh every time before you get a fastpass? Do you have to stand to the side and wait for the regular line to go through before you get in line with your Fast Pass?

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    You just dont get it.

There are all kinds of disabilities, some people like me for instance are weak and only have enough strength for a brief visit for me I can only stay 3.5 hrs before I have to go back home to bed and take 2 days to recover from that visit. Also a relatively healthy person can be in a line for an hour a ill person just doesnt have the stamina to do that or they cant be in the sun for long or maybe they might have to rush to a restroom because their body is not working right.

This isnt special or privaledged or entitled treatment they need but compassionate understanding that some people have special needs.

I know the usual reaction to this is "well if your that ill you should stay at home in bed"
    well I tell you thats what I do all month I only get to go out to see a doctor or have blood tests etc going to Disneyland is my therapy it gets me out of the house in the fresh air where I can see stimulating interesting things and it makes me feel better and possibly lengthens my life by raising my spirits.

There are not alot of people in this condition its a very small percentage surely all the healthy people can allow a say less than 1% the opportunity to enjoy what they get to enjoy freely.

And besides I am too ill go on the most popular thrill rides that have long lines but there are few they do get long lines that I can go on like the submarine or occasionallly pirates has a long line etc.
    So, your telling us your time is more valuable than my time? How privileged of you.

Badger, do you have to go to a Kiosh every time before you get a fastpass? Do you have to stand to the side and wait for the regular line to go through before you get in line with your Fast Pass?
    And do I get to use FP along with another program that is, in effect, another FP?

The only way to eliminate abuse is to eliminate assistance. It may be legal but it certainly is not imo the right thing to do. Two simple actions, photo ID card and limiting the number of people that can access a line with a GAC would have been enough to stop the tour groups and limit the abuse.

That is just it badger, Many, if not most ill people are not going to have the energy to be running back and forth between DAS and Fast Pass. Probably the only people that are going to feel well enough to do this will be those that scammed the new DAS system. I see this is a lose lose.

Badger, IMO His time is more valuable than yours. He has much less of it in a day to be in the park. This is not that much different of a concept then a make a wish kids time being more valuable because they may have so much less of it. You are the one privileged by the simple fact that you have a healthy full day at the park to look forward to.

I see it differently. I see it as win/win.

Badger, IMO His time is more valuable than yours. He has much less of it in a day to be in the park. This is not that much different of a concept then a make a wish kids time being more valuable because they may have so much less of it. You are the one privileged by the simple fact that you have a healthy full day at the park to look forward to.
    You have made a lot of assumptions about me, such as I don't use GAC and have no problems with DAS, and therefore I must not be disabled.

And nobody has the right to assume their's or anyone else's time is more valuable than another's. Period.

• Not the Hawkguy

I mean, you basically described the Fastpass system. You go to a special kiosk, get a return time, and have to wait for your return time before you can get into a separate line to wait. The only difference is that the Fastpass system isn't based on standby wait times. You can end up with a Fastpass as far in the future as possible, plus there is the possibility that they run out of Fastpasses.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    2. From reading the Micechat article on it (which is where I'm getting most of my info from) this is going to be happening with the DSA tags. Guest relations will be taking photos of the people being issued the cards that will attach to the front of the card, along with their name, and those people must be present when the card is used, from getting a return time, to actually boarding.
    I think this will be a positive step forward and by itself will stop the biggest element of the abuse.
    3. I have to imagine they've wanted to do this with the current GAC system for awhile, but there's a saying I heard once, "Once you give something for free, it's hard to take it back." For this example, I almost wonder if the number of riders gets pared down to 4 or 3.
    This is not where it should be pared down. For example, 2 weeks ago, I went with my my son, DIL, daughter, and granddaughter. It was the trip where she was finally tall enough to ride Racers. So, if we were not allowed to ride as a family, should I not be allowed to see my granddaughter's first ride? My son? My DIL? Who should be forced to wait with me, while the others get to experience her first ride? As it is, we ride FP, so the big part comes with the GAC when we turn left to wait LONGER while we wait for the car. Why should we be split up? In fact, we are usually a large group, so we usually only send 1 car worth of our group to the HA side. So, while we all entered the line at the same time, my daughters went with me, while we sent my son/dil/nieces to the regular line. Here is a pic while we are still waiting in line and they are finishing their ride...

4. This one is really a no-brainer, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's already a part of the coming system. Say you have a wheelchair, and you get a Fastpass for Splash Mountain. You would still need to access the handicapped entrance to use it. I just assume that you'd get to the line, and flash your Fastpasses and DSA card, and proceed as if you had a return card.
    The bigger issue here is the evacuation process. If my memory is correct, there can only be 3 disabled groups on at one time. So, let's say several groups get FP at the same time. The backlog will start there, and it adds up fast. Often, the Splash standby line can be 50% longer than regular standby.

6. I can only address one aspect of this, but it looks like Disney is outsourcing most of the green light stamping to organizations like Make a Wish, which is probably a good idea. The other stamp codes I can't address, mostly out of ignorance and I apologize for that.
    I do think the green light stamp needs to be held to a higher standard than it currently is. I have seen parents and adults badger the Guest Relations CM for the green light until the CM simply relented. Perhaps only a manager be required to allow this.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast