Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 68
  1. #46

    • ...and the Flowers Croon
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    154

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Although, in my perfect world, you wouldn't need to return to the kiosk to use the return ticket. Simply take the ticket at the designated time to the ride in question, and proceed as if it were a Fastpass. To reduce misuse, you can only get a new return ticket after a certain amount of time (probably 5 minutes) and the return times are strictly enforced (i.e. you have 20 minutes from the start of your return time).
    A few of the folks with autistic children have said that they can't take their child to the ride to get a return time, because if they walk up and then don't go on the ride right then, this would lead to meltdowns.

    Others say the kiosks would be too much of a problem for their particular disability. I don't see a way to satisfy everyone.

  2. #47

    • Not the Hawkguy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    712

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBirdsSingWords View Post
    A few of the folks with autistic children have said that they can't take their child to the ride to get a return time, because if they walk up and then don't go on the ride right then, this would lead to meltdowns.

    Others say the kiosks would be too much of a problem for their particular disability. I don't see a way to satisfy everyone.
    Honestly, it's going to be impossible to satisfy everyone. The key is creating a system that satisfies the vast majority, but is also flexible enough to accommodate outlying cases.

    In many ways, the current GAC system was perfect for a lot of people right now because it was incredibly accommodating. However, that level of accommodation also made it incredibly easy to abuse. The hope is that the changes proposed will limit that abuse, but we're really at a "wait and see" stage.

  3. #48

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,659

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    For the record, I personally plan to wait and see how this plays out. I know more than 1 person that has been involved in setting this up. I know they have worked with disabled to see how things would work. I am willing to see this in action before passing judgement on something simply reported here on Mice Chat.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  4. #49

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,676

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I can understand why requiring documentation would be a problem. Disneyland can't discriminate and disabled people have the same right to visit as the rest of us and therefor access can't be turned down just because you don't have proof. What if you can't afford to go to the doctor to get proof? Should you be refused access because you can't afford to show documentation?
    How can you claim a legitimate disability without being diagnosed by a doctor? If you can't afford to go to a doctor, surely you must have on file somewhere an official medical record of this disability. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to apply for government assistance. (Please note im using you in general - not you specifically). If someone is not able to provide proof of a disability that's a red flag right there. Not that Disney can ask for it anyway, but if someone has a legitimate disability they would have to have some record of it somewhere - otherwise they are selfl-diagnosing and unless they are a medical doctor they are not able to do this.

    And I have a question - please don't interpret this as taking sides but I am curious as to the answer: Why's is it certain persons are claiming that being disabled equals weakness, and that this means the DAS is too restrictive and that they need extra special assistance while in the park, yet there is evidently no problem in getting to the parking lot or hotel to and from the park? I am able-bodied and even thinking about all it takes to get from the parking lot to the park tires me out. Why do problems only exist the minute a disabled person enters the park and not before?

  5. #50

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    I have two responses to this, I am critically ill and have been given the green light pass and often the CM's at the attractions will tell me to just in in regular line like everyone else, a line that was over an hour long (TOT) !! I pointed this out to city hall and they said "they see this so rarely that they proabably didnt know what it meant if that happens have them call city hall" hardly a solution..

    Also does it occur to anyone that maybe having to have the disabled go and wait in lines to get photographed and have to show a id card with a photo at every attraction each and every time you want to go to the park makes you feel like a second class citizen while everyone else can just go in and start their day you have spend 30 minutes or more (trust me it takes that long) before you can start your day and in my case I can only be there 3.5 hrs max so there goes 30 mins of my day.
    Well, I have a GAC too - and I don't mind having my photo taken. I have one for my AP, so if they did one for the GAC, I don't think I'd care too much. I do agree that it's cumbersome to have a new photo taken every day, which is why I suggest that they either extend the DAS/GAC to a longer period than a day or tie it to the ticket or AP.

    As for checking the photo at every ride, I get you, I really do. I don't know there's a way around it, though, when you have a situation like now where the GACs get passed around to friends and family and the disabled person isn't even riding. I know you don't do that. I don't, either. But a lot of people do, and that's led us to the abuse we see with it today. If the CM is just glancing at your GAC picture quickly to make sure it's you, it shouldn't take longer than it would to check your photo-less GAC.

    If you had a card like your AP - or a special AP with your photo on it - so you didn't have to get your photo taken every time you came in, and it was recognized that you had a permanent need for a GAC, would you object to that?
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  6. #51

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,905

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    How can you claim a legitimate disability without being diagnosed by a doctor? If you can't afford to go to a doctor, surely you must have on file somewhere an official medical record of this disability. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to apply for government assistance. (Please note im using you in general - not you specifically). If someone is not able to provide proof of a disability that's a red flag right there. Not that Disney can ask for it anyway, but if someone has a legitimate disability they would have to have some record of it somewhere - otherwise they are selfl-diagnosing and unless they are a medical doctor they are not able to do this.
    I'd wager that a large number of disabled are not on disability and don't have government assistance. The same way not every disabled person needs or wants a DMV placard. I would agree that someone with a disability or illness needs to have a formal diagnosis from a medical professional, though.

    Why do problems only exist the minute a disabled person enters the park and not before?
    What makes you think that is the case? I have mentioned that I have a GAC. I go to work, and I have an HR contract for reasonable accommodation there (in my case, it's just permission to take elevators and have chairs during presentations). I take mass transit, and I always need to use the escalators instead of the stairs at the train stops. What I do outside of Disney has the same restrictions I face inside of Disney, in other words. In my case I'm lucky that it's not that much; it's just avoiding stairs. Parents of disabled kids, whether it's autism or anything else, will likely tell you that their daily routine has a lot of adjustments, modifications and accommodations to do what other people do.

    In terms of getting from the parking lot to the park, I'd imagine that some of the things disabled people need to think about include a) parking close to the elevators or escalators at M&F or close to the bus stop at Toy Story; b) taking one's time to walk to the tram; c) perhaps using the disabled van instead of the tram altogether.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

  7. #52

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,659

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Why's is it certain persons are claiming that being disabled equals weakness, and that this means the DAS is too restrictive and that they need extra special assistance while in the park, yet there is evidently no problem in getting to the parking lot or hotel to and from the park? I am able-bodied and even thinking about all it takes to get from the parking lot to the park tires me out. Why do problems only exist the minute a disabled person enters the park and not before?
    First, I want to say I want to wait to see what actually happens with the new program before I decide if it will or won't work.

    As far as your question, I think perhaps you simply don't see what is happening, you are simply reading only about Disneyland here. I use an ECV at the park. I have to avoid stairs. I rent from outside the park because the walk between the park and the hotel will do me in. I don't ride STar Tours, Indy, Goofy's Sky Skool, or Matterhorn as they aggravate my back injury. I also rarely ride Space Mountain and Screamin' for the same reason. I will ride if my back has been ok for a few weeks as these 2 won't cause my back to go out. For other rides, I will usually park the ECV and walk the line (it is usually faster than going through the HA line.) One ride I do use it on is Haunted Mansion simply so they stop the moving walkways (my balance has problems on moving walkways.)

    AT home, I can make accommodations as needed in my day. Since I am the boss, if my back is bothering me, everyone knows they will get called to my office. We have a large property. If it is a good day, I will walk out to where people are, if it is a bad day, I drive. Meetings with customers/vendors know they will need to have seating for me. Good days, I can walk from the parking lot to the store. Bad day, I order the groceries and have them brought to my car.

    I personally don't want to have to carry paperwork with me. ADA says I don't have to, but to be honest, I don't want to carry paperwork with me everywhere. It is fairly important paperwork. I would hate to lose it at someplace like DIsneyland. I'm OLD. I've never carried a purse, never will. I carry an AP, ID, credit card, a few bucks, and thats it. I would hate to have to drag around medical records also...
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  8. #53

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    SOME people have 3 hrs of energy per day. They plan as best they can. They may be able to walk but they HAVE to spend money on an ECV because they have to conserve energy. Before they had a chance of seeing 1/2 or less of the park than an abled bodied person.
    The wait maybe even but certainly the results are not.

  9. #54

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    By the way when I say limit the number of people on a Gac. It would not limit children in families.

    Badger, you are correct I did assume you were able bodied. You may very well have a disability however, I doubt seriously you have a severe energy limiting health condition, or you would understand the need for assistance.

    By the way you may be surprised to find out that I have never asked for, or received a green light GAC. :-)

  10. #55

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    807

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I'd wager that a large number of disabled are not on disability and don't have government assistance. The same way not every disabled person needs or wants a DMV placard. I would agree that someone with a disability or illness needs to have a formal diagnosis from a medical professional, though..
    I would agree with you. People tend to equate having a disability with being on disability. Many people with a disability of sorts can still work and have no need for government assistance.

  11. #56

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    45

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    Badger, you are correct I did assume you were able bodied. You may very well have a disability however, I doubt seriously you have a severe energy limiting health condition, or you would understand the need for assistance.
    You are still making assumptions about me, based on I don't know what.

    It is not Disney's responsibility to ensure that I can ride on as many attractions as people with more or less energy as I. It is Disney's responsibility to ensure I have equal access to all attractions.

  12. #57

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    And that's why I said my discussion is not about what is the minimum legal requirement, but what is the right thing to do. :-)

  13. #58

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    45

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    And what I stated is what I believe is the right thing to do. DAS looks great to me because from what has been stated (here, at least) it is doing the right thing.

  14. #59

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    287

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    Quote Originally Posted by badger hollow View Post
    It is not Disney's responsibility to ensure that I can ride on as many attractions as people with more or less energy as I. It is Disney's responsibility to ensure I have equal access to all attractions.
    Which Disney already does. This quote needs to be repeated a few million times.
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

  15. #60

    • A Happy Haunt
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    136

    Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

    It is not an issue of compassion or even proof. There is a government standard that requires them to abide by. Disneyland has gone above the legal standard and what happened? It was abused and exploited.
    Returning to the standard is a great move.
    We all wait. We all plan to wait.
    the fast pass system has proven to work for everyone.
    The reason kiosks are near the respective ride, is to encourage us to wait in line.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] 2011 Gumball Rally...From a "Smoke Tree Ranch" Point-of-View
    By ozmacity in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 08:40 AM
  2. Gay Days from the Clinkerbelle point of view
    By sir clinksalot in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 10:27 AM
  3. What a Trip! A TR from a Bornieo point of view
    By Bornieo Goes Bananas in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 09:38 AM
  4. A Staff's point of view on "taken" and "bay be"
    By WDWGirl in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-17-2006, 10:16 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-26-2005, 11:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •