Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Disneymom

Re: Gac/das- a different point of view?

When we went over the summer with my daughter who is disabled we took written documentation with us to show them. I don't understand how asking for documentation is discriminating. You need it for other reasons, example... school IEP's and SSI. or Parking passes.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom View Post
    I don't understand how asking for documentation is discriminating. You need it for other reasons, example... school IEP's and SSI. or Parking passes.
    To keep it simple... different laws. The context is those other examples are 'extra service to accomodate someone's needs'. The ADA law is defined to not mean to offer 'extra services' but instead require accommodations by default. The intent of the law is to raise the accessibility as a rule... vs doing it via exception. That's the premise you see over and over in the law... that the disabled should be handled as normal as possible without an additional burden.

Requiring documentation puts burdens on the disabled that the others do not. It's also a significant point that could risk liability of a lawsuit for Disney.. if the disabled have to 'register' in ways that are beyond simply what is required to facilitate the service, then I expect if someone has the stones to go through with a lawsuit this would be claim they would make against Disney's system as we know it so far.

Photo on card.. could argue it's necessary to ensure it's not used by others..
    Name on card... same as above

Requiring the user provide other information that isn't directly associated to using the pass... or keeping a database of said users... Disney is really on the edge.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

I use the gac card. It is a life saver however legoland, knotts and universal have a simular system to what disneys going to use. Everyone should thank disney for going above a beyond all these years. Because of the abuse they are going to what the state requires and what the other parks are doing. Trust me I have used the system and it is not as nad as everyones making it out to be. I have high anxiety heart surgery and back surgery. However I will adapt to the new system and everyone else should to. Why make this a nightmare for disney. Just be privelaged to visit the happiest place on earth.

• a wind to shake the stars

They probably wouldn't require documentation even if it was legal to do so, and since it's not legal then they definitely aren't going to do that, ever. The stress of having to review and weigh in on doctor's notes is absolutely not something Disney would ever take on willingly even if they were legally able to do so.

I am going to wait and see how this actually plays out in reality before passing judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandkitty View Post
    I use the gac card. It is a life saver however legoland, knotts and universal have a simular system to what disneys going to use. Everyone should thank disney for going above a beyond all these years. Because of the abuse they are going to what the state requires and what the other parks are doing. Trust me I have used the system and it is not as nad as everyones making it out to be. I have high anxiety heart surgery and back surgery. However I will adapt to the new system and everyone else should to. Why make this a nightmare for disney. Just be privelaged to visit the happiest place on earth.
    +1. Disney isn't any other theme park and shouldn't be 'in-line' with them (neither Customer Service, nor their prices have ever been).

My autistic son has benefited from GAC, but never the green light version, and has always been the primary rider. He doesn't go, we don't use GAC, and his younger sister completely understands the reason for that rule.

Unfortunately, there are typical people who abuse, and unfortunately, disabled people abusing. To modify the program wholesale to get 'in-line', or I would say below Legoland's policy, is a step backwards.

Suggestions:
    1. Green light - Make it like Make a wish and outside agency to distribute. For kids, it's easy - Regional Centers all have level of function and capable of discerning/distribution of these tags. Gives the responsibility to responsible 3rd party.

2. Kiosks - go one-step better - Virtual Kiosk App. Scan used, and placeholder for next ride immediately --- without the travel. No ipad/android? (how many disabled folk out there without one is beyond me)....Disney CityHall should have a ruggedized one available--far cheaper than staffing 4+ kiosks.

3. Wait time - for FP - use FP time to address the fatigue concern with some buffer (once per 2 hours). with electronic app, that's easy to program. eliminates standby lines+FP lines+green light FOL issue.

For those that argue about equality for all, that's the problem. The deck wasn't dealt evenly from the start. Luckily, Disney recognized that at the beginning and its program worked for years until several very bad actors have gotten involved and need to be rooted out. That doesn't mean that Disney should stop being an exemplary corporate entity that it is.

eg: ADA is wonderful law; but a few take the role of ambulance chasing and shakedown businesses for compliance suit or settle for xxx dollars. That's horrible. But do we repeal ADA? No....we adjust to make it better for all.

Let's see what Disney roles out and adjusts to as they get real data feedback in October. I remain hopeful.

I just saw this on the news

DISNEY PARKS – Disney theme parks are ending a policy that allowed the disabled to get “instant access” to rides, instead of waiting in line.Under the current policy, visitors can get an guest assistance card that gives quicker access to them.There were widespread reports that able-bodied people were reportedly abusing Disney’s disability policy.Reports said some wealthy park visitors were even hiring disabled people to pretend to be family members so they could skip lines.Disney says the new policy won’t allow immediate access to rides.Starting October ninth, guests with a new disability access card will be issued a ticket with a time to enter an attraction, based on the current wait time, so they don’t have stand in line.No proof of disability is required under either the current or the new policies.The theme parks will begin training employees on the new policy this week.(Copyright 2013. CNN. All rights reserved)

after i read that I came here and found this thread. I've been reading all the replies the past hour or so.

The first post discribed me pretty well. I've had Crohns for 6 years now, multiple surgeries, another surgery this friday to remove another section of intestines, already have entire large intestine removed, etc etc. I have severe digestive issues which makes eating food and staying hydrated incredibly difficult.

At first glance looking at me, you'll notice my face and body seem "thin" considering i'm 6'1". At this moment i'm down to 135lbs, but i've been worse and have been 120lbs before. This all leads to an extremely low energy, difficulty standing for more than a few minutes, frequent restroom urges, exhaustion being in the sun, etc etc.

I think about renewing my annual pass all the time, because I've been dealing with my health issue so long that I "dream" about times when I feel mildly well enough to go. But now the thought of driving down there (i'm in norcal), spending money on the gas, hotels, etc, it doesn't seem like i'd be able to experience very much of the park with these new changes.

I guess I just wanted to poke my head in here and give my little story.

• Halloween 2011

Does no one else think that this is just Disney's first step to overhauling the GAC? Why, with the advent of RFID wristbands (and the promise to roll them out at Disneyland) I can envision a time where a central kiosk for the DAS will not need to be visited more than once a day, if at all. Disabled guests with an RFID wristband will be able to schedule their various Fast Passes at one time, and cast members can scan the wristbands when disabled guests arrive at the attraction. Pretty much the same system as is being tested at WDW for RFID Fast Passes and guest pre-scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
    The first post discribed me pretty well. I've had Crohns for 6 years now, multiple surgeries, another surgery this friday to remove another section of intestines, already have entire large intestine removed, etc etc. I have severe digestive issues which makes eating food and staying hydrated incredibly difficult.

At first glance looking at me, you'll notice my face and body seem "thin" considering i'm 6'1". At this moment i'm down to 135lbs, but i've been worse and have been 120lbs before. This all leads to an extremely low energy, difficulty standing for more than a few minutes, frequent restroom urges, exhaustion being in the sun, etc etc.

I think about renewing my annual pass all the time, because I've been dealing with my health issue so long that I "dream" about times when I feel mildly well enough to go. But now the thought of driving down there (i'm in norcal), spending money on the gas, hotels, etc, it doesn't seem like i'd be able to experience very much of the park with these new changes.
    I think you may have a misperception,

The new system ensures that you have the same kind of access as normal park patrons. I would imagine people with disabilities would be shouting from the rooftop how excited they are about the new system. How it provides them equal access without special treatment.

After all, no one with a disability wants to be viewed as entitled to special treatment. The new system helps to remove the stigma that the disabled receive special treatment. It's a great step forward.

Now you'll be able to get a DAC pass to return to the ride at a special time. During your 50 minute waiting period you are free to sit, relax, conserve energy, go to the restroom and imagine you're enjoying a 5 hour car ride from northern California.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345