Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Disney Philosopher

Re: Main Street Electrical Parade

I would love to see it again.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

After many years of seeing it at DL, DCA and even WDW, I'm kinda over it. I'd be in favor of it returning to Disneyland only as part of the 60th but only in a limited run. My preference is something completely new and imaginitive that will last for the next 3-5 years or so.

I have a close friend that is currently working in the entertainment dept. at disneyland, he drove the floats for the Main Street electrical parade for many years and I hate to burst your bubble but the parade is not returning to disneyland anytime soon. When it left California Adventure they tore down the blue fairy float and dumbo circus unit those floats were in very bad shape and they could not salvage them. The tinkerbell unit was already built and they had no more space backstage to store the floats so they got rid of them.( personally I feel like they could have saved the blue fairy float and donated it to the Walt Disney archives!) as for the parade returning back to the disneyland resort, it's not happening upper management at TDA ( team Disney Anaheim) does not want the parade back and they would rather have a new nighttime parade. (Which is currently in discussions at the moment) it would be nice to have the parade back where it belongs on Main Street USA but that's wishful thinking and rumors that were started by Disney fans. I grew up watching that parade and I do miss it dearly. There is some good news though, there are some minor changes coming to a Christmas fantasy parade this year, when you see the opening music box ballerina float you'll see some new but slightly altered changes.

Agreed. MSEP needs to be in Disneyland, not DCA, old music back, Blue Fairy leading.

• Singing Drinker

I want something new.

Even with the firm knowledge that *last* time around "something new" lead to Light Magic, I want them to try again. Disney's capable of amazing parades, I think something utilizing the latest technologies on floats (heck, even the almost could have been a few waves ago next technologies) could be an amazing event.

Heck, I even think LM could have cut the mustard if it'd actually been a parade with a few more units.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I loved how the parade at the end of the night, would often act as a pied piper of sorts, leading people from back near Fantasyland, towards the front gates.

Though if they could keep the parade in constant motion, unlike the Light Magic idea of specific stops/interaction, it would be neat.

I had a vision in my head of an updated light-up float with Rapunzel, since her hair glows when it heals. I think that might be a cool effect that would wow the kids, like she and Flynn are sitting under a light-up tree, and we watch as her hair glows, with maybe a little glowing Pascal nearby, and some of the lanterns.
    The list of Disney people I've encountered in my life: John Lasseter, Brad Bird, Lee Unkrich, Darla K Anderson, Eric Goldberg, Don Hahn, Peter Schneider, Burney Mattinson, John Musker, Ron Clements, Nik Ranieri, John Kahrs, Jeff Turley, Patrick Osbourne, Dave Bossert, Roy P Disney.

People I would love to meet in person: Glen Keane, Andreas Deja.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I prefer something totally new instead of trying to keep such an old parade alive on 'life support' methods. If it's true that Disney Management in Anaheim is talking about creating a whole new night time parade for Disneyland, it would seem that they might be planning to have a parade similar to whatever will be coming to Hong Kong Disneyland, since that park is supposed to get a night time parade in 2014. Something new and fresh is what's needed at Disneyland. Let's hope that's what's going to happen.

• formerly very helpful

Ignorant question. What happened to the original music? How was it changed and when? Sorry to be out of the know on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Ignorant question. What happened to the original music? How was it changed and when? Sorry to be out of the know on this one.
    I'd like to know too. If it's not the Baroque Hoedown, then it's not even the Electrical Parade...its just some other parade.

Saw it in WDW, and while better than any other nighttime parade I've seen, didnt really blow me away. I came in thinking it was a disney classic and was kinda underwhelmed.

We can only dream.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ursaguy View Post
    Saw it in WDW, and while better than any other nighttime parade I've seen, didnt really blow me away. I came in thinking it was a disney classic and was kinda underwhelmed.
    Enough said.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    In 2009, the soundtrack was modified for Summer Nightastic at the Disneyland Resort, and imo it lost some of the "electrical" sound that it once had.

• formerly very helpful

I hate to say it, but personally, I can't tell the difference. Maybe it's a more noticeable change when you're actually there, instead of watching on You Tube. Well, as they say, if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it.

For 8+ years, I used the MSEP music in my primary music classes for our rhythm stick routine. No other music excited them as much -- they'd hear it and their eyes would light up. In the early years of using it, kids knew it as the light parade music, but that waned as the parade left the parks in Anaheim. But they still loved the music anyway -- as I still do, even after years and years of hearing it 2-3 times a day.

My husband's first trip to DL, in 1977, including our first views of the MSEP. Our daughters saw it in 1994. We sat them down on the curb about an hour before the parade, as they were tired and needed to rest, and we had our dinner there while waiting. After eating, both girls (then 8 and 7) put their heads in their hands and fell asleep. When the parade started, we woke one up and pointed at the Blue Fairy, on her way up Main Street (1st parade of the evening). She took one look, woke up instantly and shook her sister, "You gotta wake up! You gotta see this! Wake up! Wake up!", saying her sister's name several times too. The younger one woke more slowly, but she was so excited to see this big lit up fairy that she jumped up! It's the younger one that had an AP for several years as an adult.

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast