Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Done with MC.

Re: Your choice of Good Neighbor Hotels

We've stayed at several in the area but prefer Best Western Park Place over them all. It's the shortest walk (directly across the street from DLR entrance) and they have the best free breakfast food and facilities. They also have a nice newer pool that's rarely busy during the afternoon when we like to take a break.
    It's very clean and they give you free bottles of water in the office.

For my family it depends on what time of year. If you are going during non-peak of the season, park opens at 10:00 and closes at 8:00, then we stay offsite at the Hyatt. With fewer operating hours, we are able to tough it out and stay all day in the park so distance to the hotel does not matter as much.

• Silent Lucidity

We have stayed at the Del Sol, the Best Western Park Place Inn, the Tropicanna Inn, the Carousel Inn and the Park View Inn, as well as several others that are not located on Harbour Blvd. The Tropicanna has become our favorite, our fifth stay at the Tropicanna will be in Decemeber! We like the location and the staff has always been friendly. The rooms are OK, but that is all we need, just a clean place to crash after being in DL all day. The hotel is right near the cross-walk that leads to the park. We have stayed at two hotels that required us to use A.R.T. or another bus. But the walk from the maingate to a hotel right across the street from DL on Harbour Blvd. is only about a minute longer than the walk from the maingate to the bus loading area. Then, you have to wait for the bus to arrive, then travel from stop to stop waiting for your stop, then walk to your hotel. I cannot stress how nice it is to walk to your hotel in just five minutes, no bus, terrific!
    Last edited by disneyhound; 09-25-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    What are your thoughts on Red Lion Hotel Maingate...
    I just stayed at the Red Lion this past Labor Day weekend and was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were much nicer than expected since some of the TripAdvisor reviews were not the best. It's also nice that it is an enclosed hotel as opposed to some of the other nearby hotels that have outside stairs/walkways, if that matters to you.

The downsides are it did take a little while to check in as they only had one person working the desk. The hotel restaurant is definitely worth skipping, but they do offer free s'mores at the pool every night. That also means the pool is very crowded at night

Overall I'd say it is a solid 3 star hotel. A step above the nearby motels, but not quite a high-rise hotel. If you are not expecting Hyatt quality service, it should be fine.

It worked well for us since we walked to the Toy Story parking lot next door to ride the shuttle bus to the park. Also GardenWalk is just around the corner for more dining options.

I usually stay at a different one every time. The worst, by far, was Annabella. We were there the week before D23, and it was so bad we left a night early even though we were paid in full. Roaches crawling around the desserts we brought from the park, and housekeeping came in and cleaned the main room around my adult DS while he slept in the tiny room of the mini suite.

My favorite is the Doubletree further up Harbor. It's close enough to walk to Toy Story for a free bus ride, or only a $6 cab ride from the taxi stand on Harbor. Either way, cheaper than parking in property.

• I'm a fiddle player......

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    Thanks so much for all of your comments! What are your thoughts on Red Lion Hotel Maingate, Hilton Garden Inn or Parkvue...
    The Red Lion is a nice hotel clean and comfortable. A little distance to walk but not too bad. The breakfast in the morning was terrible. The Hilton Garden Hotel is a good hotel too. Better room than the motels across the street but far away from the parks. If you drive in beware parking is scarce. When we came back at night we usually found the last parking spot. The Tropicana is good motel. Decent rooms and they have a small breakfast. But its real close so you can take easy breaks in the afternoon

Everyone is going to have a different definition of what a good hotel is. It all depends on what you are looking for. My personal favorite is the Hyatt. There are plenty of hotels on harbor that will work if your main concern is proximity to Disneyland.

We normally stay at Hilton Garden Inn. It's at the other end of Harbor. Clean rooms and nice staff. However, lots of restaurants can be found in the area and Target is a stones throw away.

• Professional Poltergeist

My boyfriend and myself stayed at the Holiday Inn on Walnut back in 2011. It was very clean and modern, almost like it had just recently been refurbished. It was nice and quiet, but the walk to/from the main gate was killer every night. Ouch!

That being said, my boyfriend swears that someone came into our room one night while we were sleeping. I don't know if he was dreaming, but we had our keycode changed, anyway. Hopefully, that was just a one-off thing... Also, as far as I can recall, the parking at the hotel was not free. In fact, I recall it being pretty steep. So depending on how you travel, beware!
    Overall, though, I would recommend this hotel to my friends. I recall the stay to be a pleasant one, other than the walk.

• Disney Geek wannabe

We almost always stay at the park place inn and suites!
    The good: It is fantastic in terms of proximity to the resort. They have mini suites available for stay. We always book a king or queen suite that comes with the beds and a fold out couch. Also has a mini fridge and microwave. The last time we stayed there in May someone below us called the front desk and complained about my 2 year old running back and forth in the room. The front desk supervisor in turn called us, when I explained that it was just my newly turned 2 year old daughter the supervisor told me not to worry about it and they would take care of the complaint. They moved the couple who had the unfortunate luck of being below us. I felt terrible that someone complained about us especially since we had only been there for less than 2 hours into the hotel, the supervisor told me not to worry and the company understands that almost everyone who comes to stay are families with small children! There is also a free buffet breakfast and it isn't too shabby of one either.
    The bad: way way way too much chlorine is dumped into the hot tub and swimming pool
    Also I am also allergic to the cheap laundry soap they use to wash everything in. I am like that at most hotels. I have the joyous luck of being one of “those” people who brings their own sheets and towels on vacation

This place sells out of its online rooms on discount websites like hotwire, Priceline etc. all the time; here is a tip the manager told me. CALL; do not use the internet to book anything. They do not advertise their unsold rooms. If I want to stay there we book by calling the hotel and always always get a room. They even give you a discount if you call, (ask for the Costco or AAA discount when booking) and it is pay when you check in. They will also tell you the complete total of your cost over the phone which they will tell you it includes the taxes and parking fees. My bill upon arrive has always been the exact cost they have quoted me over the phone and not a penny more. It is pay to park at 10 bucks a night and you get to park in the lot until 3pm on check out day without paying extra

If you don’t mind a walk I also recommend the best western stovalls inn the hotel staff is very friendly and their breakfast is by far better than their sister site the park place inn. It is located on Katella and we used to stay there a lot but at the end of the day when you are exhausted with small kiddies the walk back is excruciating. Parking is 8 bucks a day, might be 10 now I don’t remember…

Our last stay on the 16th of this month was at the Anaheim Hilton at the convention center. Meh, don’t stay here. Anything like a fridge or microwave is 20 dollars extra per item and the hotel is older and not fancy at all it is 16 dollars a night to park and no breakfast included this place nickel and dimes every last thing, it was also extra cost just to get wifi. If our stay there was not free I wouldn’t have been there. When we stayed we walked across the street to the toy story parking lot to hop on a free bus to the park.
    “If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”
    A.A. Milne

• Minion

Don't know if it's a bonifide Good Neighbor hotel, but the Residence Inn by Marriott on Clementine Ave is a pretty good place. It's an extended stay hotel, so most or all rooms have some kitchen. The room we had was great. Free breakfast (not a contintental breakfast) was very good. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the security checkpoints.

I like the Homewood Suites. Close to Target, nice rooms, good breakfast and Managers Special during the weekdays. If you book your room right you can see the fireworks from your room.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

If we don't stay on the Resort, we stay at the Park Place Inn. It is right at the crosswalk going into the Resort. It's not the nicest place we have ever used, but considering how little time we spent in our room, it was fine. I do not recommend the restrauant right next door. Can't remember the name, but I think it is pirate-themed? Down the street a ways towards I-5 is Minnie's and we had a nice meal there.

We stayed in the Hilton during D23 and were surprised at the lack of amentities. No microwave, no fridge. We had to use the impractical icebucket to try and cool down our water bottles for the next day. We would never stay there again.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• formerly very helpful

My favorite has been the Camelot Inn. I've found the best hotels are (IMHO) on Harbor Blvd., closest to the main entrance. On Katela and Ball they've been a little cheaper, but lower quality.
    still, from my perspective, the rooms have all been clean and as long as it's close enough to walk, I'm generally pleased.

Over the years, we have stayed at a few places around Disneyland. Some of them don't even exist any more, because they were purchased and flattened to make room for DCA. For a few trips, our favorite place was Best Western Stovalls: the price was right, it was comfortable, and we walked to/from the park. However, this year, we stayed elsewhere. The $10/day parking fee was not exactly welcome, nor was the thought of walking back and forth after walking all day in the parks. A friend recommended Candy Cane Inn, so we made reservations.

The place was clean, fairly modern, had good wi-fi (at least in our room), a small pool, a VERY nice breakfast spread, parking was free, and (big plus for us), a shuttle that ran back and forth to the park every 30 minutes. The price was right for the standard room. When we checked out, we were given coupons for $10/night off our next stay, within a year. (I'm not sure if we will be taking advantage of those at this point, or not.)

We used the place for sleeping, cleaning up, and enjoyed the pool ONCE in our 3-night stay. Mostly we were over in the parks, as we were with family (two of whom had never been to DL before, and one who hadn't been there in 30+ years).

I highly recommend it. We made our reservations by calling the place direct.

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast