Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Foolish Mortal

Re: Club 33 Logo Will Change. Are you happy?

I'm not a member, and I have been lucky enough to visit Club 33 once back in 2001. I kept my receipt, the foil wrapper from the chocolate and took many photos, all of which live in an actual photo album. While it doesn't directly effect me, part of me is sad that the original Club will undergo renovation.

• Minion

It'll probably have frogs and princess tiaras all over it.

• Mouseke-Awesome

I have no issues with actual changes to the club, seeing as how I've never been and probably never have the chance to visit, I'm "meh" about the changes. I feel like I should be more "upset" about it, but I'm not.

I do still have a little pain with the closure of CoA. My best friend and I took pictures in our "best friend" Mickey ears in case it was closed by the time our next visit rolled around :-/

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

• really is a small world

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I guess what gets me is that Walt's DL seems to be under "attack" by TDA. Everything he personally had a hand in creating is being replaced. While Walt was fond of saying it will never be done/complete, I can't help but feel that the experience is being ever diminished (COA, Trophy room, furnishings, even the logo) Is like boiling a frog... toss the frog in boiling water, it will jump out. Slowly boil the frog from cold water to boiling, and it will not realize the immediacy of the change, and boil to death.

Its like Walt's DL is being diminished one little bit at a time.

Next thing you know Walt's apartment will be transformed into a gift shop.
    As the article mentioned, the renovation will carry out Walt Disney's original vision for New Orleans Square. Disney management is working their hardest to improve the parks while still making money.
    Welcome to DisneyDose.com. We write about the latest in Disney news, views, and reviews. Come check us out.

We recently spent 3 Epic hours in Disneyland and went to Club 33, had a private elevator in the Haunted Mansion, and rode all of our favorite attractions. Read all about it!

"It is kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyApprentice View Post
    As the article mentioned, the renovation will carry out Walt Disney's original vision for New Orleans Square. Disney management is working their hardest to improve the parks while still making money.
    Not that I'm a Waltist or whatever but were is the evidence that this is Walt's origional vision for New Orleans Square? What was Walt's origional vision? What were his regrets with New Orleans Square as it opened? I don't really see anything in the article other than the idea that this may be a better exectuion of his vision.

I guess I'd always precieved Club 33 as a private club for elite friend's of Walt or whatever. One doesn't normally create a private special place with ideals for capacity or letting everyone visit. I guess in that sense it's always been something of an antithesis to the rest of the park but I figure you can't blame the guy for wanting to create a few more special type features.

It seems like it'll be a mild hit towards the atmosphere of the area but I guess its what'll happen. Like mainstreet devolving more into a basic mall area this kinda stuff is mostly inevitable.

I can't get too enraged when it's not anywhere near the most moneygrubbing thing the park has ever done. But the decision does seem to feel more like the realization that there's more money to be gained expanding the membership than there is in increasing fees to keep the membership elite or whatever.

Updating the stylings and all really does make sense as well. I do question changing the logo though. This park has the fandom that complained heavily about the resort not using the classic Disneyland font for the park's name. WIth so much nostalgia being built around their branding I don't see what can be gained in an altered logo?
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

I could care less, personally.

What I hope changes with Club 33 is that they communicate better with their new members. The established Club 33 members are mostly polite, and often even gracious. The newer Club 33 members don't quite get it, and don't understand what they purchased. They demand backdoor access to rides, they demand Fastpass tickets when Fastpass has already booked out for the day, they demand instant access to the Mark Twain wheelhouse when we already picked a family to go up there, etc.

The newer members of Club 33 don't seem to have a solid grasp on what exactly their membership gets them. Plus, they are just typical "new money" types who don't know how to act in polite society, so it makes them stick out even more as they bellow about their Club 33 membership.

I could care less what they do with the old breakroom and stockroom upstairs of the French Market. I could care less what they do with the logo. And Walt has been dead for almost 50 years and would have changed Club 33 three times over if he had been alive, so this expansion and update to the facility is decades overdue.

Why would a private extra-cost club for a tiny sliver of a fraction of Disneyland visitors matter to most folks who never go up there?

• Tomorrow's Child

If they're aiming to make it more representative of the NOS, then it could just be something as simple as taking the current logo and giving it an Art Nouveau style makeover.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyApprentice View Post
    As the article mentioned, the renovation will carry out Walt Disney's original vision for New Orleans Square.
    Um...Walt Disney's "original vision for New Orleans Square" was the one he built before he died.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    How much less could you care?

• Closed Account

Why would a private extra-cost club for a tiny sliver of a fraction of Disneyland visitors matter to most folks who never go up there?
    Because most folks here understand and are appreciative of Disneyland history and legacy, and are upset when it's tampered with--even though they might not get to experience it personally.

I will never get to see the Lincoln Bedroom in the White House, but I'd be damned pissed if they decided to turn it into a Dale Ernhardt Jr.-themed rec room.

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Because most folks here understand and are appreciative of Disneyland history and legacy, and are upset when it's tampered with--even though they might not get to experience it personally.

I will never get to see the Lincoln Bedroom in the White House, but I'd be damned pissed if they decided to turn it into a Dale Ernhardt Jr.-themed rec room.
    The Lincoln Bedroom is a great analogy Steve. Disneyland is a National Treasure and just because some can't see or visit
    certain parts doesn't mean it needs to be altered unnecessarily.

Here is another analogy to chew on - The Wizard of Oz just came out in Imax 3D and will be released on 3D Blu Ray soon. In the original continuity cut script, Dorothy says a line to Toto "Oh, Toto, don't". In the 1998 remastering of the movie for DVD, that line was snipped out by Warner Brothers and is not being put back for this 75th anniversary release.

The question is "Why mess with a National Treasure"? Why did Warner Brothers unnecessarily cut out a line from the movie? Classic perfection needs to be preserved. I'm not saying that Disneyland needs to be preserved as is circa 1956 but like so many stupid decisions in Hollywood to "enhance" classic movies such as colorization, Disney needs to tone down the supposed "enhancements" it is doing to a National Treasure - Disneyland.

I hope my rambling made sense.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

What I hope changes with Club 33 is that they communicate better with their new members. The established Club 33 members are mostly polite, and often even gracious. The newer Club 33 members don't quite get it, and don't understand what they purchased. They demand backdoor access to rides, they demand Fastpass tickets when Fastpass has already booked out for the day, they demand instant access to the Mark Twain wheelhouse when we already picked a family to go up there, etc.

The newer members of Club 33 don't seem to have a solid grasp on what exactly their membership gets them. Plus, they are just typical "new money" types who don't know how to act in polite society, so it makes them stick out even more as they bellow about their Club 33 membership.

I could care less what they do with the old breakroom and stockroom upstairs of the French Market. I could care less what they do with the logo. And Walt has been dead for almost 50 years and would have changed Club 33 three times over if he had been alive, so this expansion and update to the facility is decades overdue.

If Disneyland changes the Club 33 logo, it will be like a bad dream. Why fix what is not broken? Yes, I can buy the argument for upgrades, changes and imagineering to the club. But changing the Club 33 logo would be like Coca-Cola redesigning its name on its cans and destroying a cultural icon. It would be a move similar to Club 33's former elimination of the classy membership card that for a period was converted into the amateurish door picture with camera flash. (Ultimately they did an about face and returned with a card that simply has the logo.) Isn't there any respect remaining for some kind of tradition? While we are at it, why doesn't Disney just eliminate Walt's signature from its logos and design some hideous new 21st century replacement? It just doesn't make sense.

You also made an interesting comment about the changing membership demographics. It appears the new members from what you say are expecting everything because they had to pay heavily to join and now have substantial annual dues-- a group who feels they deserve everything because they paid. From what I hear among the old members, there is also a sadness that the new club following the growth of new members has changed from a personalized experience where you call a phone number and talk to someone you knew when making reservations to now calling an anonymous sweat shop phone bank. There once was also a day when the club had real on-site managers and assistant managers you recognized on a visit. Perhaps many of these issues stem from the fact that the club has had no continuity of leadership and has now been a revolving door of management for many years; the real continuity has been with the staff. Usually a cornerstone of any fine club is that they tend to have continuity at some level in management.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

I am saddened by the fact that I never had the chance to see the historic old club 33 (not that a chance to see the redo is in the works). It was something I have longed for since I first heard of the club as a child, when my mother's coworkers were invited to go and told us all about it. It seemed like something so amazing and special and I had long hoped (and still hope) to get to go see and dine at.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Um...Walt Disney's "original vision for New Orleans Square" was the one he built before he died.
    This.
    I don't know what people are thinking.

• Down Pluto!

I am neither happy nor sad. I will know more when I see the new logo.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast