Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ozark MO
    Posts
    196

    Marceline Missouri

    So who has been? I am going on 16 years living in Missouri and I have not been there yet. This coming spring I'll fix that. Walt Disney is such an interesting person and I would like to learn more about the man who brought us Disneyland. I have read a few letters he wrote and numerous quotes and find that he is certainly more than just a man with a mouse.

    I'll post a full review and report come next spring, but I thought I would prime the pump and open a discussion and see who might jump in. If anyone happens to be back in these parts and would like to visit by all means drop a line. I can assure you that there is plenty to do in and around Springfield where I live and while it is a bit of a drive the country is certainly pretty enough not to mind it.

  2. #2

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Autobot Base
    Posts
    2,228

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    I went a few years ago when the Dreaming Tree was still alive, though clearly damaged by a lightning strike. I think further lightning damage finished it off back in 2012.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

    Flickr

  3. #3

    • No Light, No Light
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    781

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    I haven't been, but I was planning on posting something similar to this but I wasn't sure where (maybe in the lounge?). I'll be going to Kansas City in a couple of months, and I'll probably check out Marceline while I'm there. I read that there's a small museum, complete with the TV set Walt bought for his sister so she could watch the opening day festivities from her home, and what may possibly be Walt's school desk (it has his initials carved in it). Other than the museum, the reconstructed barn, and Main Street, I'm not sure there's anything else to see. Does anyone have any recommendations?

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada.
    Posts
    1,033

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    I haven't been, but I was planning on posting something similar to this but I wasn't sure where (maybe in the lounge?). I'll be going to Kansas City in a couple of months, and I'll probably check out Marceline while I'm there. I read that there's a small museum, complete with the TV set Walt bought for his sister so she could watch the opening day festivities from her home, and what may possibly be Walt's school desk (it has his initials carved in it). Other than the museum, the reconstructed barn, and Main Street, I'm not sure there's anything else to see. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Just be aware the museum is not open year round, and will close for the winter soon. Its open April 1 to October 31st.

  5. #5

    • No Light, No Light
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    781

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    Thanks!

  6. #6

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    My new house in Southern California
    Posts
    5,506

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    First, I'll say that I've been to Missouri, and I was surprised how much I really liked that state. We stayed in Lake of the Ozarks for a week, about 3 years ago. It is such a beautiful part of the country. Lots of friendly people. If they didn't have such cold weather in the winter, I'd possibly even check it out for a new home.

    As for Marceline, on that same trip we made the pilgrimage to Marceline. (My Marceline T-shirt is still my number one choice for Disneyland apparel. I love the questions I get.)

    There is so much Disneyland pre-history there. I really felt a connection to the place.

    Here's a little shop we found on the street that was the inspiration for Main Street, USA in Disneyland. (If I can find any other photos of Marceline, I'll share them, too.)



    I do recommend the trip to all Disney fans.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ozark MO
    Posts
    196

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    First, I'll say that I've been to Missouri, and I was surprised how much I really liked that state. We stayed in Lake of the Ozarks for a week, about 3 years ago. It is such a beautiful part of the country. Lots of friendly people. If they didn't have such cold weather in the winter, I'd possibly even check it out for a new home.

    As for Marceline, on that same trip we made the pilgrimage to Marceline. (My Marceline T-shirt is still my number one choice for Disneyland apparel. I love the questions I get.)

    There is so much Disneyland pre-history there. I really felt a connection to the place.

    Here's a little shop we found on the street that was the inspiration for Main Street, USA in Disneyland. (If I can find any other photos of Marceline, I'll share them, too.)



    I do recommend the trip to all Disney fans.
    Winter is actually very nice. A little cold, a bit of snow from time to time, but Spring is just around the corner. I have gone fishing on January 1 in the snow.....and in shirt sleeves. The old wag is 'If you don't like the weather just wait 10 minutes and it will change.'

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    1,138

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    I live in SW Missouri and have family that lives not too far from Marceline. As such, I have visited the town a couple times. I wil admit that aside from the connection to Walt, there really isn't anything special about the town. It is a very low populated town and there's not much to do there besides checking out the Disney stuff.


    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney


  9. #9

    • Bring back the Keelboats!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lompoc, CA
    Posts
    2,393

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    I went for Toon Fest two years ago. As one poster said, it is the third weekend in September, so was just last week. It was really fun and there was a lot to do for the whole family.

    I was able to attend the special dinners with the cartoonists and artists, both at Walt's farm and at the Museum. The friends I made then are still my friends. I see the ladies from the Museum at D23 and it is like we were never apart!

    I highly recommend the visit if you are interested in Walt and his beginnings. The Museum has a wonderful variety of displays; the Dreaming Tree is fading, but still there; there's a re-creation of Walt's barn where everyone is encouraged to leave a message on the walls.

    I hope to some day go back again!

    Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!


    Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!


    Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

  10. #10

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    My new house in Southern California
    Posts
    5,506

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I live in SW Missouri and have family that lives not too far from Marceline. As such, I have visited the town a couple times. I wil admit that aside from the connection to Walt, there really isn't anything special about the town. It is a very low populated town and there's not much to do there besides checking out the Disney stuff.
    I agree. But then, that's what a small town is, and that's the town Walt loved so much. It definitely is the connection with Walt, and what he gave to each of us that makes Marceline a place for Disney fans to see. At least to me. I would hate to see Marceline start opening genuine tourist attractions that would truly destroy the peacefulness of that community.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    135

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    First off, I got a little chuckle about how "cold" Missouri is in the winter. I'm Canadian by the way, one hour west of Toronto. Winters are long here (although summers are hot) and sometimes I do a double take when someone talks about the cold, hehe.

    But back on topic, I live about 13 hours away from Marceline. It would be a long drive to get there and I would have to couple it with another reason for driving that long. For example seeing a sporting event, or doing something down in Tennessee and making a week of it.

    But what is Marceline like? Do you stand on Main Street and automatically feel the connection with Disneyland? Or is it a little bit of a letdown? Also, what attractions do they have there? Could you spend a whole day in Marceline as a Disney tourist? Thanks.

  12. #12

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    My new house in Southern California
    Posts
    5,506

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    Honestly, the Main Street in Marceline, in my opinion, looked very little like Disneyland. However, there is a lot of history everywhere that has to do with Walt. There are many plaques throughout the town spotlighting connections with the Disney family/history. There is a museum about Walt's life there that is worth seeing. The highlight was his Dreaming Tree and barn behind his childhood home. That is where I felt a connection. Much of it, I admit was emotional.

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    106

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    Links for Marceline:

    Walt Disney Hometown Museum - Marceline, Missouri

    Marceline Missouri City Places of Interest


    Hopefully, this coming summer, we will be making the trek to Marceline. It's only about an hour and a half from my SIL's home, yet we've put off going up there on previous trips. I've been through there on the train (years and years ago) but at a ridiculous hour of the morning!


    Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

  14. #14

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada.
    Posts
    1,033

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    First off, I got a little chuckle about how "cold" Missouri is in the winter. I'm Canadian by the way, one hour west of Toronto. Winters are long here (although summers are hot) and sometimes I do a double take when someone talks about the cold, hehe.
    Not all of Canada is cold in the winter Its very mild out here in Southern BC in winter, rarely is it what I would call cold.

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    135

    Re: Marceline Missouri

    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Not all of Canada is cold in the winter Its very mild out here in Southern BC in winter, rarely is it what I would call cold.
    Ah fair enough. Yes, you guys wouldn't have the warmest of summers up there. I was talking about Southern Ontario. Hot in the summer for 2-3 months, frigid in the winter for 4-5 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My Road Trip to Marceline, Missouri
    By HiddenMickeyBook in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 05:29 PM
  2. A Trip to Marceline (Lots o' Pics)
    By pjdonnell in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-23-2006, 07:06 AM
  3. Tell us about Missouri
    By Barbaraann in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 05:29 PM
  4. Under the Dreaming Tree with Me - A Photo Essay of Marceline, MO
    By Disneyphile in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-11-2005, 09:37 PM
  5. Information on Walt disney's boyhood home in Marceline Missouri
    By Disney Wrassler in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 01:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •