Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blending Star Wars into Tomorrowland’s facade

IF the rumor is true and adding more Star Wars to Tomorrowland is the direction they are going with, they should blend the two themes. This will make the facades unified, coexistent and not separated or contrast to each other. Also, the land is still TL and should stay as TL and not get completely replace by Star Wars (Star Warsland). The current TL attractions should not get SW overlays within the ride.

According to the 8/6 MiceAge Report "freshened aesthetic to the buildings surrounding Space Mountain", it appears they will be adding/remodeling Space Mt. surrounding areas with Stars Wars theme . It did not say anything about altering SM and SM doesn’t exist in Star Wars, so I am assuming they are trying to have both themes share the same area. I think some parts of Coruscant would mesh well surrounding Space Mountain. Space Mt. spires look like the towers of Coruscant.

Other cities/planets they could use its likeness are Cloud City and Kamino.Link. They look like futuristic cities and could work in TL. I think they should not use Naboo (ancient-like architecture) nor Tatooine (poor,"armpit of the galaxy" ). The Star Wars themed facade should be based on, influenced or inspired by, instead of straight from or exact copied from SW. It should not be labeled. Star Wars fans would recognize it, at the same time average guests would see it as a futuristic city/theme.

I am not completely knowledgeable of Star Wars, only from the movies and some of the cartoon show. So I need your thoughts. For the following attractions, what Star Wars cities/planets would work well to base the facade on? (Photoshop is welcomed): Astro Orbitor/Rocket Jets( return onto platform), BLAB, TL Terrance, Moonliner/RRPP, Carousal Theater, Monorail/Subs platform, Autopia (updated w/electric cars).
    Last edited by mondo; 09-24-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Blending Star Wars into Tomorrowland’s facade

I would not mind this in a third gate..but no need to make Space Mountain look like something from Star Wars...heck this movie in a way predates the movies so I want it to keep its own unique look

• Senior Minion

I more or less agree with your ideas. Those are the SW locations that have the best aesthetic fit for TL. The problem is that they supposedly want to add Tatooine (Mos Eisley Cantina) and an Endor (Speeder Bike) based attractions. I can certainly understand the fan appeal of both those concepts and would love to see them carried out in another park where they could be properly developed. But they are both just bad fits for TL. The other problem is that while those places fit the TL aesthetic, they aren't great sources for attraction material and the ones that come from the prequels are not just as popular.

With all that said, it would be pretty cool if the different endings of Star Tours connected with multiple exit routes that would take you into the world that you landed on. But it would be better to accomplish that at DHS or a third gate and make room for other things in TL.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Future Imagineer

^ Actually the case is that the cantina is going to WDW (if you look in the comments of the post you'll find that they addressed it) and the speeder bikes most likely won't be themed to Endor, just using the vehicle as the basis of the attraction

I tell you, I am just going to be so happy to see whatever Disney puts out in terms of concept art because I have racked my brain for many a day trying to figure out what to do with Tomorrowland and how to fit all the things they want to cram into that land in there cohesively.

First off, I LOVE the name "Tomorrowland" and don't want to see that go to Yesterdayland. I don't want it to be renamed Discoveryland. I love the optimism and excitement the name 'Tomorrowland" conjures in my imagination.

But, I ask myself...what attractions in "Tomorrowland" really make me feel optimistic and excited? Space Mountain does...because I feel like I'm headed into a spaceport for a ride through space. That's pretty "Tomorrowland" to me.

"Star Tours" makes me feel the same way...like boarding another flight to space. Which kind of makes me feel like "Tomorrowland" is kind of an airport, with these two trips through space. I actually think that Space Mountain could be rethemed to Star Wars and work very nicely. This way, it's two Star Wars attractions right there...and the space between them could get a Star Wars cantina (but not the one set in the desert). Make it a cantina on the planet Coruscant or Cloud City and have it be like the airport bar of the space port. Of course put a gift shop there too and theme it to some kind of alien marketplace. Maybe even add a nicer-restaurant that would serve all sorts of molecular gastronomy and fusion cuisine, like from the future...and have that restaurant maybe be set inside a space ship flying through the stars using the technology of the windows from the Disney cruise ships (but show scenes of planets out the "windows" instead of world cities like they do in the cruise ship lounges).

Basically, make one half of Tomorrowland the Star Wars space port sub-area. Retheme the Autopia/Speedway to Star Wars too...simply by making the cars electric (no more gas stink) and having them look like space-age flying cars (and make the course the cars race around look like it's a futuristic gleaming space city from Star Wars).

For the rest of Tomorrowland, put in attractions that make you feel optimistic and excited about science and technology and innovation but don't say it's "the future". Because that gets dated fast. Have all the attractions on this side of Tomorrowland teach kids something about geology or physics or astronomy or even history (via time travel attraction). I think even the Buzz Lightyear attraction could be retooled to fit in with this (because let's face it that is not going anywhere). A TRON attraction could definitely fit...just get rid of Monsters Inc. and Stitch. Move Lilo and Stitch characters to Adventureland and have Stitch serving Dole Whips.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    "Star Tours" makes me feel the same way...like boarding another flight to space. Which kind of makes me feel like "Tomorrowland" is kind of an airport, with these two trips through space. I actually think that Space Mountain could be rethemed to Star Wars and work very nicely. This way, it's two Star Wars attractions right there...and the space between them could get a Star Wars cantina (but not the one set in the desert).
    Ick, Star Wars Space Mountain is about as bad as that Stitch Mountain concept. I'd just keep Star Wars to maybe a takeover of the 3D theater and turn Pizza Port into Dex's Diner at best, but it shouldn't dominate the land.
    Last edited by FigmentJedi; 09-25-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

For Disneyland, if they have the Cantina, will it be at the Terrace or RRPP? Any ways it should not be the one from Tatooine. The Silent Sun Cantina would work well. What other Cantinas are there that have a space port or futuristic feel?
    Last edited by mondo; 09-25-2013 at 02:48 PM.

• Former Churro Jockey

At the end of the day a good ride is a good ride. I would be sad to see Space Mountain as I know it be rethemed to Star Wars, but obviously the track is the same, it's just the visuals and the music that will change. I actually bring my own music anyway (Korn - Narcissistic Cannibal) so as long as they don't turn on the lights or anything I'll be fine. If it's like Ghost Galaxy with maybe a tie fighter or star destroyer instead of the cosmic ghost then at the very least I can ignore it, and at best I may really like it even though I miss the old Space Mountain.

However, Star Wars land belongs somewhere else (really, Disney Studios is probably it), so as long as it is still Tomorrowland with maybe a Star Wars mini-land then I'll be fine.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    For Disneyland, if they have the Cantina, will it be at the Terrace or RRPP? Any ways it should not be the one from Tatooine. The Silent Sun Cantina would work well. What other Cantinas are there that have a space port feel?
    Actually I think Innoventions would be a perfect space for not just the Cantina but also some kind of flexible space (upstairs?) that they can use in order to bring over Star Wars weekends which I personally don't care for but I understand is wildly popular and very well done over at WDW.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Star Wars is simply a poor fit as a dominant theme in Tomorrowland. We would be much better served with a Tron Lightcycle, Wall-E, and Ironman attraction so there's a wide variety of entertainment. However, I would much rather have something original and custom fit like Space Mountain, but it seems Disney is incapable of that so this would be my second choice.

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Star Wars is simply a poor fit as a dominant theme in Tomorrowland. We would be much better served with a Tron Lightcycle, Wall-E, and Ironman attraction so there's a wide variety of entertainment. However, I would much rather have something original and custom fit like Space Mountain, but it seems Disney is incapable of that so this would be my second choice.
    I totally agree. If you make Star Wars the basis of Disneyland's Tomorrowland, you're severly limiting what you could do in terms of attractions and/or theming. Tomorrowland has always been about the possibilities of the future. Whether based on science fact and/or fantasy. Sometimes I really wonder where such rumors come from. It does, however, make much more sense to put a Star Wars land at DHS in Disney World.

• Not the Hawkguy

Retheming Tomorrowland into more of a spaceport would do a better job of tying the entire land together, and could be flexible enough to allow for other concepts. For example, the Cantina can be reimagined as more of an airport lounge. The Peoplemover track (whether it's a TRON-lightcycle or Speederbike ride), Autopia, and Nemo could be rethemed a bit to fit into this new overall story for the land (I floated the idea of a Society for the Preservation of the Past megabuilding area for the Subs/Autopia/Monorail area which could fit), while SM, Star Tours, and Buzz would already work with that theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    ^ Actually the case is that the cantina is going to WDW (if you look in the comments of the post you'll find that they addressed it) and the speeder bikes most likely won't be themed to Endor, just using the vehicle as the basis of the attraction
    I never like the look of the speeder bikes that were used on Endor. Hopefully another speeder bike is use that fits TL better. Or maybe there is a new speeder bike from Episode 7 and they will use that. Since this might be an E or D ticket attraction and in a way use to promote their new movie, it makes sense.

• Former Churro Jockey

You know, I keep thinking that if they add Star Wars to Tomorrowland, they're going to take away the Star Trader / Starcade (all two of the remaining games...), one of the restaurants, and possibly Buzz Lightyear, Innoventions, or Space Mountain in it's current form. Let's say that they take the whole main part of Tomorrowland, including Buzz, Star Trader, Pizza Port, Space Mountain, and Innoventions. I just don't see a Star Wars mini-land with the rest of Tomorrowland being composed of the Finding Nemo subs (hardly futuristic), the monorail (no longer futuristic), the train station, and the Tomorrowland Terrace. So at that point the only thing that would make sense would be to make those part of Fantasyland, and then Tomorrowland would be all Star Wars. I guess it would solve the dilemma of trying to keep Tomorrowland futuristic, but I absolutely do not want to see Tomorrowland turned into Star Wars land. I would rather keep it in it's current state (Innoventions and all) then make it a Star Wars land.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Retheming Tomorrowland into more of a spaceport would do a better job of tying the entire land together, and could be flexible enough to allow for other concepts. For example, the Cantina can be reimagined as more of an airport lounge. The Peoplemover track (whether it's a TRON-lightcycle or Speederbike ride), Autopia, and Nemo could be rethemed a bit to fit into this new overall story for the land (I floated the idea of a Society for the Preservation of the Past megabuilding area for the Subs/Autopia/Monorail area which could fit), while SM, Star Tours, and Buzz would already work with that theme.
    Seconded. I've heard "spaceport" rumored a few times for Tomorrowland over the years, and it'd be the easiest way to tie together IPs and original properties that already tend to focus on a "journey" (Space, Star Tours specifically in a big way) that makes sense from a starport theme. It would allow (if not demand) interesting and different ride structures that could be "embassy facilities" and such.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast