Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Foolish Mortal

Re: Disneyland's Best Year

For me it is the years when I was too young to understand how things really worked at Disneyland, and in the real world I suppose. Being a kid who grew up here in So. Cal that took annual trips (during the late 70's and 80's) the day after Christmas really set the stage for a truly magical experience. I didn't really go that much during the 90's, maybe every other year or so? When I was younger I don't remember being bothered by lines, or bothered by the heat, all I cared about was the rides, Disneyland could do no wrong.

Now that I'm older (38), and am on my 4th year in a row of having an Annual Pass, I still love the park just as much as ever. Obviously I have some idea of how the DL and the real world works, but when I cross under the DLRR into Town Square, all of those thoughts and concerns of the real world disappear. I can't really pinpoint an exact best year, so I will stick with what I said in my opening sentence.

As far as I'm concerned, the 50th Anniversary was the best Disneyland has offered. They park was pristine, the gold vehicle photo ops were great, Remember Dreams Come True was the yearlong fireworks ... things were terrific.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

1995. The year Indiana Jones opened.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Silent Lucidity

My first visit was in the 60's, but I would have to say my Best Year would have to be 1991, which was also my first visit with my daughter. She was 11 at the time. We live in Oregon and I loved Disneyland when I was her age. So, I decided that it was time I took her. I booked our vacation and we flew down to LA during the off-season in January. I did not even know that DCA existed! I remember the first night we were in DL and we rode BTMRR over and over about 6 times in a row, no lines, got off, walked back thru the queue, and got right back on. I think the thing that made our 1991 year visit the best, was seeing DL thru my daughters eyes for the first time. Great time! We have been back a dozen times since then.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I would say short time periods from 1995 (Indy) and 2005 (50th) were my favorites.

• Minion

I would have to say 2005 because that is when I began becoming obsessed with going to Disneyland.

something about '95, when I was still too short to ride the new Indi Adventure, and the 50th Anniversary in 2005 definitely stick out in my mind as great times filled with unforgettable memories.

there is something about childhood innocence during those times that made it a whole lot more memorable. although, being older now, I have a much deeper appreciation for the resort.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

When DL heavily invested in new attractions, it goes on the on the upswing. And when they stopped investing in great new attractions, (or do it on the cheap like TL '98, and DCA 1.0) the downhill slide began.

As the op points out in the initial years of the Disney/Wells/Eisner period, animation was on the upswing, and brought new life and characters to DL. It was also a period when they began some heavy attraction investing in DL, with Splash Mt, Toontown/Roger Rabbit, Star Tours, and concluding with Indy in 1995.

I would also go back to around the time of one of my first visit to DL, and say 1979. DL had Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Tomorrowland was all fresh and new with the Skyway high above, peoplemover traveling through all of TL, Adventures thru Innerspace, Mission to Mars, the original Subs, Rocket Jets up high in the sky, and America Sing AND Space Mt had just opened. Bear country had Country Bears singing, Matterhorn had the recent addition of hairy white beast. Fantasyland still has the Pirate Ship restaurant. And of course the Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room and Swiss family treehouse were all there. And in Frontierland Big Thunder was still a brand new attraction, and The Golden Horseshoe was still the original that Walt had put together.

And personally, one more year and celebration stood out, with it's phenomenal fireworks show, and outstanding parade of dreams, it was the year I officially became a Mickey Mouse Club member, after learning and doing a little song and dance number in front of the Castle with 10 of the Original Mouseketeers, and first time visits to some of the most exclusive places in DL. The year 2005. Sadly no new ride attractions opened during the celebration, however Space Mt did reopen (after an exhaustive rebuild) , as so many parts of DL had been recently refurbished, after a decade of neglect, and required 1st attention. DL still managed to pull off a Wonderful 50th Birthday Anniversary. However, without some of the personal experiences in DL during that year, it quite possibly would not rate up there with 1979, and 1995.

I'd have to say 2007, because that was the year my then-girlfriend (now wife) got Annual Passes together and we just discovered we turned into happy little kids when we were together at the park.

I'd also say 1991, because there's nothing quite like your first time there.

• Blew By You

Well, 1973, specifically the summer of 1973. Before entering my senior year, we took our annual family trip to Disneyland. It would be the last time we did that as a family. My brother was a year old, so me and my sister went on as many rides as we could. Dad took care of my brother so we could ride with mom on some rides. We were able to get on the train and small world all together. We ate our dinner in Tomorrowland as we always did. We saw the fireworks. Then we went home.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    Grad night 1974, almost getting kicked out for some amorous behaviour on Journey thru InnerSpace. For those that remember the ride, I'll think you agree....
    That was the year of my Grad Nite, too! Though, that was not a problem for me. Went dateless! And I skipped hearing Olivia Newton John to see Skiles and Henderson.

But, that wasn't my favorite year. I can't really pick a year. I have been going regularly since 1962. I can pick the 1970's and the early 1980's as my favorite decades. Does that count? There were pleasures every time I went. But, when the Skyway, PeopleMover, Mine Train, and Keel Boats were running were the best 'years' for me!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Former Churro Jockey

So a lot of votes for 1995 and a lot of votes for 2005. I guess 2015 should be a really good year then!!!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    Stupid 5 hour line, so insane.
    My folks were at the park the day Space Mountain opened... Dad recalls waiting in a 4-5 hour line that went all the way back to Main Street Station. It's still his favorite ride to this day.

• Selfie Expert

I wet once every year or two throughout the 90's and 2000's, and I know many will agree but my favorite year so far was this past year (Sept '12 - Sept '13), as it was my first year having an AP. It allowed me to take much more frequency trips, and to experience the park in a whole new way.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    That was the year of my Grad Nite, too! Though, that was not a problem for me. Went dateless! And I skipped hearing Olivia Newton John to see Skiles and Henderson.

But, that wasn't my favorite year. I can't really pick a year. I have been going regularly since 1962. I can pick the 1970's and the early 1980's as my favorite decades. Does that count? There were pleasures every time I went. But, when the Skyway, PeopleMover, Mine Train, and Keel Boats were running were the best 'years' for me!
    I went dateless too, but the goal in going to DL was to always hookup.

The old DL was the best by far, to bad the guests of nowadays never got to experience DL at it's best.

I always wanted to move into the House of Tomorrow, back then it was so cool.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast