Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Disneyland's Best Year

I was born in 66, my first visit was 70 I believe but my earliest memories are the very early 70's. Probably my favorite period was 74-79. The 1967 tomorrowland was still pretty new, America Sings in 74, Space Mountain in 77. An amazing few years of revitalization for the park.

After that it would be 2005 for the 50th. An amazing job by Matt Quimet and Team.

Husband and I both agree with mid-90's. Not long after Indy opened.

I remember being there with my school band in 96 and Indy was fairly new still. We waited so long for that ride on the first day. Then the next morning we arrived as early as possible and ran straight there and got on it 3 times before the rest of the crowds started coming in. We felt so awesome.

• Planning my next trip

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    '84. The last year before the beginning of the Eisner era, with its cutbacks in staffing and service, closing rides and shuttering restaurants, turning formerly unique shopping experiences into generic Disney stores, crowding the walkways with ODV carts, eliminating name entertainment, and turning the park into a mosh pit with AP sales. People were still civil, cell phones were rare, the stroller virus hadn't started, and you could actually enjoy the Haunted Mansion elevator without people yelling every word of narration. Across the street, the Wrather family company still ran the Disneyland Hotel, which featured a level of customer service and professionalism that was never again matched after Eisner & Co. bought it.
    I'll go along with '84 as a pretty darn good year. Tomorrowland was still widely considered the best land in the park, a world on the move that would soon come to a screeching halt.

But in 1984, attractions abound!
    Submarine Voyage, Adventure Thru Inner Space, Mission to Mars, America Sings, Skyway to Fantasyland, CircleVision-360 and The Peoplemover still delighted the senses. Space Mountain was a relatively new experience and The Rocket Jets soared high above all.

• Minion

I'll go with 1978 since it was the year of the new Matterhorn and all the Yesterland rides I miss were still there.

Also, 1979 was the first year I went to Disneyland and was disappointed -- by BTMRR. This was the height of the first wave of "roller coaster wars" here with all parks participating and it opened after Corkscrew (1975), Revolution (1976), Space Mountain (1977) and Colossus (1978). Tough acts to follow.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    '84. The last year before the beginning of the Eisner era, with its cutbacks in staffing and service, closing rides and shuttering restaurants, turning formerly unique shopping experiences into generic Disney stores, crowding the walkways with ODV carts, eliminating name entertainment, and turning the park into a mosh pit with AP sales. People were still civil, cell phones were rare, the stroller virus hadn't started, and you could actually enjoy the Haunted Mansion elevator without people yelling every word of narration. Across the street, the Wrather family company still ran the Disneyland Hotel, which featured a level of customer service and professionalism that was never again matched after Eisner & Co. bought it.
    Not a bad year, but even before Eisner there were some cracks appearing in the Disney armor......in 82' they dumped the Ticket Books(which, if you ask me, logically led to the omnipresent AP) and the Skull Rock/Pirate Ship

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I would also go back to around the time of one of my first visit to DL, and say 1979. DL had Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Tomorrowland was all fresh and new with the Skyway high above, peoplemover traveling through all of TL, Adventures thru Innerspace, Mission to Mars, the original Subs, Rocket Jets up high in the sky, and America Sing AND Space Mt had just opened.
    This cannot be brought up enough......in 1979 Disneyland had two fresh and spanking new Mountain-level E-ticket attractions. For me, 1979 is the clear winner
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    So a lot of votes for 1995 and a lot of votes for 2005. I guess 2015 should be a really good year then!!!
    Hope it is!

Any votes for 1955? Or better yet, any insight from people who remember it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123