Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Disneyland's Best Year

So of all of the years that you have been visiting Disneyland, which year would you say was your favorite?

Mine was 1995. At that point it seemed like Disneyland could do no wrong. It has been on an incredible roll with Star Tours, Splash Mountain, Fantasmic, and then Indy (even though the line was down to the Plaza Pavilion) coming over the previous six years. The Lion King Parade was awesome, the Electrical Parade was still the Main St. Electrical Parade, and DCA was still a parking lot. Also, there were still a decent number of uncrowded days when you could go and everything would be a walk-on. There was no Fastpass, the Rocket Jets were where they belong on top of the People Mover track, the subs were not cartoons, Tomorrowland was still kind of cool even though it was clearly aging, and we still had the Country Bears. My earliest memories of Disneyland go back to 1985 or so, and even though I do like certain aspects of Disneyland more now then I did then (such as the food or Downtown Disney or the Grand Californian Hotel), overall for me '95 was the year when it seemed like the park was almost perfect.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland's Best Year

It’s hard for me to separate Disneyland from the Disneyland Resort as a whole now and with that, last year was pretty much as epic as Disneyland has been in long time. Opinions and nostalgia aside, last year the little park that could blew away attendance expectations and offered more in terms of attractions, rides, entertainment, food and shows than ever before. Events and holidays were nearly constant including the ever amazing and popular One More Disney Day. Old and new characters filled the parks. Rides, shops and facades were refreshed and updated up consistently. Overall the parks fired on all cylinders last year and it looks like it’s only going to get better.

Hmm this is a tough one. I would have to say last year also. Especially last year Halloween time. When we went the first day it was empty. We walked right onto: Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Screaming California, and Toy Story. Plus all the other rides there. The only ride with a wait was Cars! Not to mention it had a lot of long lasting memories for me and it was before BTR went down for refurbishment(Man I miss that ride!). However we are going this year again so I am hoping it will be even better!

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    So of all of the years that you have been visiting Disneyland, which year would you say was your favorite?

Mine was 1995. At that point it seemed like Disneyland could do no wrong. It has been on an incredible roll with Star Tours, Splash Mountain, Fantasmic, and then Indy (even though the line was down to the Plaza Pavilion) coming over the previous six years. The Lion King Parade was awesome, the Electrical Parade was still the Main St. Electrical Parade, and DCA was still a parking lot. Also, there were still a decent number of uncrowded days when you could go and everything would be a walk-on. There was no Fastpass, the Rocket Jets were where they belong on top of the People Mover track, the subs were not cartoons, Tomorrowland was still kind of cool even though it was clearly aging, and we still had the Country Bears. My earliest memories of Disneyland go back to 1985 or so, and even though I do like certain aspects of Disneyland more now then I did then (such as the food or Downtown Disney or the Grand Californian Hotel), overall for me '95 was the year when it seemed like the park was almost perfect.

You phrased it betterthan I could. ALmost this exactly!

Hmm this is a tough one. I would have to say last year also. Especially last year Halloween time. When we went the first day it was empty. We walked right onto: Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Screaming California, and Toy Story. Plus all the other rides there. The only ride with a wait was Cars! Not to mention it had a lot of long lasting memories for me and it was before BTR went down for refurbishment(Man I miss that ride!). However we are going this year again so I am hoping it will be even better!

I don't think I could pick a "best year." I loved Disneyland as a kid in the '70s and '80s, and I love it now. If anything, my love for it has only increased. There are things that I miss, but that can be ascribed to nostalgia rather than quality (since quality is somewhat subjective in this context). Part of me misses the old Submarine Voyage, but I like the Nemo version. I miss Adventure Thru Inner Space, but I love Star Tours (both incarnations). I miss the PeopleMover, but I like... well, I miss the PeopleMover. I do miss Skull Rock. That was just... neat. Most of the classics I loved as a kid are still there (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, etc.), and while there may have been changes, none have been radical enough to bother me. It's still the same place.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    I don't think I could pick a "best year." I loved Disneyland as a kid in the '70s and '80s, and I love it now. If anything, my love for it has only increased. There are things that I miss, but that can be ascribed to nostalgia rather than quality (since quality is somewhat subjective in this context). Part of me misses the old Submarine Voyage, but I like the Nemo version. I miss Adventure Thru Inner Space, but I love Star Tours (both incarnations). I miss the PeopleMover, but I like... well, I miss the PeopleMover. I do miss Skull Rock. That was just... neat. Most of the classics I loved as a kid are still there (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, etc.), and while there may have been changes, none have been radical enough to bother me. It's still the same place.

I rarely say this here, but amazing post!

• Disney Philosopher

Grad night 1974, almost getting kicked out for some amorous behaviour on Journey thru InnerSpace. For those that remember the ride, I'll think you agree....
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• Mouseke-Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post

I think I have to agree with you on that one. My earliest Disneyland memories go back to the late 80s, but the mid 90s were pretty righteous. I was there when Indy opened and even waiting in the who-knows-how-long line, it was an absolute blast. Ahhh, the 90s

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

• Banned User

Stupid 5 hour line, so insane.

• Senior Minion

'84. The last year before the beginning of the Eisner era, with its cutbacks in staffing and service, closing rides and shuttering restaurants, turning formerly unique shopping experiences into generic Disney stores, crowding the walkways with ODV carts, eliminating name entertainment, and turning the park into a mosh pit with AP sales. People were still civil, cell phones were rare, the stroller virus hadn't started, and you could actually enjoy the Haunted Mansion elevator without people yelling every word of narration. Across the street, the Wrather family company still ran the Disneyland Hotel, which featured a level of customer service and professionalism that was never again matched after Eisner & Co. bought it.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Former Churro Jockey

One other big thing that I thought of that bugs me to no end about DL now -- in '95, almost nothing closed early (only Toontown as far as I remember)! Every ride and every restaurant stayed open until whenever the park was scheduled to close. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to eat at the Carnation Cafe after I've gotten off work and just barley missed their closing time. I remember when we were first told that some of the less popular shops and restaurants would close ahead of time and we had to get a whole new Cast Member Reference Guide that listed the opening and closing times of ever ride, shop, and restaurant. It was either '96 or '97 when that started happening.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Senior Minion

^ Opening rides, shops and restaurants late and closing them early to increase profits was the hallmark of the Eisner era -- part of the "charge 'em more, give 'em less" philosophy that today's Disney management still maintains.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Evil is Sexy

I was privilaged to be able to go to Disney once every other year from 1980 - 1992. My next excursion (thanks to Disney Music Days and school) was in summer 1995. I fully agree with Big D about that summer. It holds some of the best memories for me overall for Disneyland.

I didn't get to return to DLR until 2010, and while I enjoy it now and the new additions, there is just something about the summer of 1995 that will always be "it" for Disneyland.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    '84. The last year before the beginning of the Eisner era, with its cutbacks in staffing and service, closing rides and shuttering restaurants, turning formerly unique shopping experiences into generic Disney stores, crowding the walkways with ODV carts, eliminating name entertainment, and turning the park into a mosh pit with AP sales. People were still civil, cell phones were rare, the stroller virus hadn't started, and you could actually enjoy the Haunted Mansion elevator without people yelling every word of narration. Across the street, the Wrather family company still ran the Disneyland Hotel, which featured a level of customer service and professionalism that was never again matched after Eisner & Co. bought it.

That’s quite a list.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you visited the parks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast