Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Re: Starbucks finally opens on Main Street U.S.A. at Disneyland Park

Well, the Market House had the look and atmosphere of a general goods store, where kids could buy penny candies and bring home basic items to their homes. With party phone lines and an old heated stove to keep warm on the cold days.

I purchased a set of silverware there and other kitchen related items. With a few registers, lines would often form and one had to wait to purchase something.

The change-over to Starbucks may change the atmosphere there. I think it will be more profitable as Starbucks is a popular selling brand.

I personally do not drink coffee or tea so I may not frequent the store much. I may look around out of curiosity from time to time.

It's kind of ironic that Walt wanted coffee available at a low price, wasn't it twenty five cents for bottomless coffee? I could be wrong there but, it was to be affordable. I think the opposite will be true now.

I'm wondering if the party lines will be changed to incorporate references to coffee. That will be interesting to check out. I was hoping that the stove would be retained. With the checker board pushed up against the wall, that doesn't seem to be the case. So, it seems some of the charm of the original store may be lost.

The addition of the book nook appeals to me and looks like a nice area to rest those weary legs a bit.

The focus is on coffee now at the Market House.

I'm more of a Peet's coffee kind-of-girl but I'm happy there will be a place to get a double shot on ice with 4 pumps vanilla when I hit the park at opening and am gearing up for a full day in the parks. It's nice to have more options than just mediocre coffee or a mocha. I always found the Market House and Disneyana to be huge spaces full of things I don't need or want or found to be overpriced. I'm hoping this new store will help calm the Jolly Holiday lines and be a place to send my husband to grab me a hot cocoa (made with milk and NOT water) while we wait to watch the fireworks.

Aesthetically, would I rather it be better themed with more details? Yes. But those things can always be added in (and I hope they are). I think they're using the space better and the sitting area looks very lovely. My one concern is that the party line phones won't work again, which would be a shame.

Overall, I look forward to checking it out!

Curiouser and curiouser...

My local SB won't hand a cup over the counter unless it has a lid on it. And it has structured lines, though not like the Main St. one, it's just a small delineation thing. I've seen several like that.

So yeah, it is kind of a beefed-up layout that resembles regular SB.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    My local SB won't hand a cup over the counter unless it has a lid on it. And it has structured lines, though not like the Main St. one, it's just a small delineation thing. I've seen several like that.

So yeah, it is kind of a beefed-up layout that resembles regular SB.
    If I'm not mistaken you used to walk in and cash registers were to the side, now they are facing you when you go in, is that correct?

The Market House registers were on the right and the line snaked around the stove and the stuff in the middle.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    The Market House registers were on the right and the line snaked around the stove and the stuff in the middle.
    It looks like this new configuration should make it easier to move around the store. I'm checking it out in person tonight when I get some caffeine after the Halloween party, so I guess I'll know for sure then.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by julesofhearts View Post
    I'm not saying that the actual look and design of the place is great. It could definitely be better. But I am also with a few others who have commented that saying it looks like "design student" or "interns" designed the place is very insulting to actual students and interns in these fields. I studied Interior Design in college for three years before changing majors and minoring in Art History, and I know that I could put together a stronger design concept then and now.
    Yayy another designer/art history buff! I have a degree in Interior Design and almost minored in Art History so you and I are quite alike.

What the new Market House reminds me of is when I have this big grand vision for a project in my mind and then I somehow fail to communicate that same vision to the public. And that can and does happen all too often in the design world.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    What the new Market House reminds me of is when I have this big grand vision for a project in my mind and then I somehow fail to communicate that same vision to the public. And that can and does happen all too often in the design world.
    I think we were always going to get a concept looking to find itself. Leaving items like the Market House signage are reflections of contemporary adaptive reuse, where we like signs that today's art gallery space was originally a meat packing factory. That is not what Main Street, USA is conveying. Trying to do an old shop, made into a "Disney" shop made into an old timey Starbucks is not appropriate for the theme. Disney's obsession with narrative story has distracted them from the honesty that is necessary to convince. A turn-of-the-century coffee shop should be just that, not a turn-of-the-century coffee shop in an old theme park.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    I'm wondering if the party lines will be changed to incorporate references to coffee. That will be interesting to check out.
    When I checked out the party line yesterday it was still the same as it had been, thankfully. However, the driver's spiel on the Omnibus now includes a direct reference to Starbucks (ie, "there's the Market House where you can get Starbucks coffee").
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Can you phone in a GRANDE DOUBLE MACCIATTO PERCENT on these party lines?

• Artistic integrity

The woods used in the main part look too new. The previous "aged" look of before had more charm than this.

Where's a poll to ask - Does it feel like the original Market House, Or does it seem to invoke a "modern/y" "corporate" feel? My answer - the second.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

I do not like coffee very much. Starbucks is something from the outside world. It is trying so hard to fit in, but it is the talk of the town! It's like when McDonald's had a wagon in Frontierland, it will stick out. If this keeps up, the magic of Main Street will fade....
    -> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Where's a poll to ask - Does it feel like the original Market House, Or does it seem to invoke a "modern/y" "corporate" feel? My answer - the second.
    But it shouldn't feel like the Market House. If it is going to be a coffee shop, it needs to be an appropriately themed coffee shop. A market house adaptively reused is out of theme and would always hurt the connection to Main Street, USA.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Lazyboy are you satisfied with DCA's Starbucks? To me it seemed vaguely passable. And a big step forward from the train.

• Chief Troublemaker

For me (and this is only MY opinion), the theming of Main St has always pretty much stopped at the doors of most shops anyway & I can remember DL way back in the early '60s, when I was a kid. The Emporium has never looked like any late 19th/early 20th century dept store I've ever seen in photos from the era. Those animated windows I remember from 'back in the day' certainly weren't authentic theming! The 'old' Market House never really looked like a 'real' coffee house or 'Ike Godsey's General Store' (dating myself, here) either. There were 'touches', but that's about it. Some of the stores/eateries had more 'touches' than others, but none of them were 'faithful reproductions' of turn-of-the-century establishments.

I haven't seen the 'new' Market House yet, but I never really expected it to look like 'Miss Fanny's Tea Room' or anything close to it. The pictures I've seen of the windows look pretty nicely themed with antique looking items. I'm not going to pick holes in Disney's coat for doing pretty much what they've done all long; creating an 'atmosphere' of yesteryear with 'touches' of by-gone days.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910