Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Re: Starbucks finally opens on Main Street U.S.A. at Disneyland Park

Is there a standard for breaking theme that the community here holds to? I'm asking a serious question because the motorized Omnibus didn't debut until 1923 yet travels down Victorian Turn-of-the-Century Main Street every few minutes. How does a fandom decide what is (in)tolerable when it comes theme?

A horse drawn omnibus would have been in theme. Does the motorized Omnibus (and other features) get a "pass" because it looks the part? How is the interior of a coffee house that must be entered to be encountered worse than an out of place vehicle?
    Last edited by Timicus; 09-25-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I don't think the analogy fits. Coca Cola doesn't move into Main Street, U.S.A. and turn the "Refreshment Corner" into a mall food court that looks like it's been decorated in bogus Victorian style by theater arts students hired by the local Chamber of Commerce, none of whom bothered to research the period they were recreating.
    If the argument was about decor I would agree with you. Actually, I think you insult theater arts students with your comparison. The main shop decor is atrocious. I can overlook the few flaws in the other area.

The argument never seems to be that we don't need three badly decorated Starbucks. It always seems to be that coffee drinkers don't need three Starbucks AT ALL. Look at DisneyFunGuy's statement again. "Why don't they just have one in Downtown Disney and get rid of the other two in both theme parks... they're not needed." Not they look like crap, not they don't fit the decor or the theme or whatever... but we don't NEED three Starbucks. Essentially, coffee drinkers should have to leave the park and go to Downtown Disney to get Starbucks coffee.

And before you say, "There's coffee available all over the park," it is not Starbucks. That would be like replacing all the Coca Cola in the park with generic cola and saying, "There's cola available all over the park. If you want Coke, go to DTD."

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Is there a standard for breaking theme that the community holds to here? I'm asking a serious question because the motorized Omnibus didn't debut until 1923 yet travels down Victorian Turn-of-the-Century Main Street every few minutes. How does a fandom decide what is (in)tolerable when it comes theme?

A horse drawn omnibus would have been in theme. Does the motorized Omnibus (and other features) get a "pass" because it looks the part? How is the interior of a coffee house that must be entered to be encountered worse than an out of place vehicle?
    The issue is usually with what’s “new”. Anything new get’s picked and pulled apart with instant access (twitter, Instagram, Facebook) which uber fans dissect and scrutinize.

While I’d have to agree that the esthetics are more modern, they are not “terrible”. The entire shop captures the little details we’ve come to know and love from Disney, while adding a much sot after product.

Much of Disneyland has changed and evolved, some of them bad, others good. This is a good change in my opinion and I believe the general consensus will be the same. But hey if I’m wrong and no one buys starbucks I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong.

from market 'house' to market 'queue'. i'm surprised there's not a wait time sign on the front door.

i will say the book rest area looks pretty nice.
    Last edited by thedustycoyote; 09-25-2013 at 12:37 PM.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Since Disney counts the first entry of the day, I'm curious to see if this new location will influence the attendance numbers in any way. My wife always wanted to enter DCA first to get her Starbucks (we don't have one on every street where we live), so DCA got the daily attendance bumps from us. I'm sure some people went to DCA first to get coffee then Disneyland. Now they can get the coffee in DL first thing and remain there.

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Mouseke-Awesome

I think it looks alright.

I can get Starbucks very easily at home, so I don't need to get it at Disneyland. I know I personally that I won't visit it myself.

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Looks fine

Best part, no Nescafe machines.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I was in the original Market House. I don't drink "coffee" so I never had a reason to go in except to pass some time while I was passing through. I do frequent Starbucks, not for the coffee but I do drink their frapps, teas and refreshers, so chances are if I'm in the park I'll go through there to get a drink.

Since I was never a regular before, and I only have the pictures here and haven't seen it in person I can't really make a specific judgement as to if I like it or not. I've been very vocal in my displeasure with other changes Disney had made in the park, but this... eh... it doesn't really bother me so much. Maybe I'm starting to get jaded, or maybe I just don't care any more or maybe like Timicus brings up.... "theme" is relative in a lot of places in the park. There are gaps and over laps and there isn't one particular place thats 110% accurate all the time. Personally I see this as just another sponsorship, just like Monsanto or any other corporate business that has touted their wares in the park since the very beginning.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Minion

I really like the seating area; it seems as though they put a lot of time and thought into that design.

For the rest of the space...well...RIP Market House. I want to see it in person and judge for myself but it seems as though they stripped it of all its charm. It doesn't look that different from any other Starbucks.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Is there a standard for breaking theme that the community here holds to? I'm asking a serious question because the motorized Omnibus didn't debut until 1923 yet travels down Victorian Turn-of-the-Century Main Street every few minutes. How does a fandom decide what is (in)tolerable when it comes theme?

Where are you getting the 1923 date? Daimler claims they began selling buses in 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    The issue is usually with what’s “new”. Anything new get’s picked and pulled apart with instant access (twitter, Instagram, Facebook) which uber fans dissect and scrutinize.
    Or the lack of concern with thematic authenticity has grown in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    While I’d have to agree that the esthetics are more modern, they are not “terrible”. The entire shop captures the little details we’ve come to know and love from Disney, while adding a much sot after product.
    Care to point out some of these little details?

Well I mostly like it, I would have liked it more if done in a darker wood like a dark cherry or a mahogany. It still has the feel of yesteryear even all shiny and new which will be gone in no time at all. And let's not forget what these spots on main street are for and that's retail space to maximize the profit for said space. I got a feeling this will do just fine on the profit side of things getting what Disney requires for a space this size, In the end its all about the bucks, and you can't just sell T-shirts and coffee mugs. For what it is and what they offer it will help offset the bakery on the opposite end of Main which can only be a good thing. Overall a nice job, in my opinion.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scarymouse View Post
    And let's not forget what these spots on main street are for and that's retail space to maximize the profit for said space.
    That is not why the spaces were created, but what Paul Pressler decreed.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    That is not why the spaces were created, but what Paul Pressler decreed.
    Indeed. In fact, in Walt's original memo describing the Park (and Main Street in particular) the shops were there to help establish theme.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Where are you getting the 1923 date? Daimler claims they began selling buses in 1898.
    You're right about the date. I copied over the wrong one. As far as Daimler's claim, that has been disputed but if true, it only applies to Europe and not to the Turn-of-The Century USA. If the 1898 date is true than we run into the Turn-of-the-Century England is not the same as Turn-of-The-Century Missouri conundrum that the Jolly Holiday Bakery begat. But I digress as this is about only the Market House being out of place.
    Last edited by Timicus; 09-25-2013 at 01:06 PM.

From the pictures, I personally like the new Disneyland Starbucks Market House more than the Magic Kingdom's. Case in point: the wood refrigerators at Disneyland vs. WDW's standard Starbucks black cases.

Disneyland: Starbucks finally opens on Main Street U.S.A. at Disneyland Park
    Magic Kingdom: Magic Kingdom Starbucks Main Street Bakery Opens

There's already a lot of negative feedback on the online forum of how it's not Victorian enough. Before, I only walked through Market House to bypass people on Main Street and would desperately drink an Iced Coffee from the vendor on the hub. Depending on how the new Disneyland Starbucks handles the crowds, I will definitely spend more of my money at the renovated Market House and enjoy spending time in The Book Rest... and ultimately, more money to the Mouse means more future investments (even if they are slow in coming and often times upset the very vocal Disney fan community).

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast