Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Starbucks finally opens on Main Street U.S.A. at Disneyland Park

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Is there a standard for breaking theme that the community here holds to? I'm asking a serious question because the motorized Omnibus didn't debut until 1923 yet travels down Victorian Turn-of-the-Century Main Street every few minutes. How does a fandom decide what is (in)tolerable when it comes theme?

A horse drawn omnibus would have been in theme. Does the motorized Omnibus (and other features) get a "pass" because it looks the part? How is the interior of a coffee house that must be entered to be encountered worse than an out of place vehicle?
    Oh, what a fabulous comment!

There is no written standard, although in the 2010's on Internet message boards the standard regarding blaming thematic errors and Onstage theme park mistakes tends to go like this;

Any Mistake From 1955-56: Doesn't count because Walt was inventing an entirely new industry.

Any Mistake From 1957-1966: Doesn't count because Walt did it. Or, doesn't count because Americans were less sophisticated back then and didn't know any better. Or, doesn't count because Walt and his top Imagineers were working on the World's Fair pavilions and they were busy elsewhere. Did I mention that if Walt did it, it doesn't count?

Any Mistake From 1967-1971: Doesn't count because the Company was reeling from the sudden loss of Walt and focusing on getting Disney World open.

Any Mistake From 1972-1983: Doesn't count because Card Walker and Ron Miller were in charge and it was a sleepy and unsuccessful era for the Company as a whole.

Any Mistake From 1984-1995: Doesn't count because Eisner had saved the Company and big new E Tickets were opening all over the place.

Any Mistake From 1996-2003:
    These mistakes count because of PRESSLER!

Any Mistake From 2004-2006: Doesn't count because of the 50th Anniversary.

Any Mistake From 2007-2011:
    These count because of Jay Rasulo and One Disney and the state of Florida and California's Department of Safety and Health (DOSH), in that order. Also Princesses. And Pixar.

Any Mistake Made in 2012: Doesn't count because of Cars Land.

Any Mistake Made in 2013:
    These mistakes count because of STARBUCKS!

Any questions? Feel free to print this out and post it on your fridge for future reference.
    Last edited by Westsider; 09-25-2013 at 01:14 PM.

I have nothing against Starbucks, but the thing I'm sad about is losing two more establishments in Disneyland that I enjoyed visiting often, the Market House, and Disneyana, which has displaced The Gallery. I don't drink coffee when I'm at the parks, other than with breakfast occasionally, so really have no reason to frequent the Starbucks/former Market House. Seems like so many things are being chipped away at in the parks. I think it would have made more sense to combine the Starbucks with Jolly Holiday Bakery. There's more room for the needed queue and lots of seating.

As far as the decor, I'll wait to see it in person to judge it, but it doesn't really matter since it won't be someplace I'll be spending time in, unlike the Market House.

• Minion

It looks beautiful imo, but the only nitpick that I have is the modern pictures of the drinks on the menu board. Those look out of place. But other than that, I give it a thumbs up.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    It looks beautiful imo, but the only nitpick that I have is the modern pictures of the drinks on the menu board. Those look out of place. But other than that, I give it a thumbs up.
    I agree. I poked my head in there this morning on my way into work. It looks fantastic.

But those modern color pictures on the menu board stand out too much. Maybe they could give those photos on the menu a sepia-toned treatment or something to make them blend in better?

• Minion

Although I wouldn't say it looks like a Starbucks one would find on the corner of a street, at the same time, I'm not impressed. I do like the pictures of the various books on display... Love the Peter Pan displays. Other than that, I'm not too happy with the makeover.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Oh, what a fabulous comment!

There is no written standard, although in the 2010's on Internet message boards the standard regarding blaming thematic errors and Onstage theme park mistakes tends to go like this;

Any Mistake From 1955-56: Doesn't count because Walt was inventing an entirely new industry.

Any Mistake From 1957-1966: Doesn't count because Walt did it. Or, doesn't count because Americans were less sophisticated back then and didn't know any better. Or, doesn't count because Walt and his top Imagineers were working on the World's Fair pavilions and they were busy elsewhere. Did I mention that if Walt did it, it doesn't count?

Any Mistake From 1967-1971: Doesn't count because the Company was reeling from the sudden loss of Walt and focusing on getting Disney World open.

Any Mistake From 1972-1983: Doesn't count because Card Walker and Ron Miller were in charge and it was a sleepy and unsuccessful era for the Company as a whole.

Any Mistake From 1984-1995: Doesn't count because Eisner had saved the Company and big new E Tickets were opening all over the place.

Any Mistake From 1996-2003:
    These mistakes count because of PRESSLER!

Any Mistake From 2004-2006: Doesn't count because of the 50th Anniversary.

Any Mistake From 2007-2011:
    These count because of Jay Rasulo and One Disney and the state of Florida and California's Department of Safety and Health (DOSH), in that order. Also Princesses. And Pixar.

Any Mistake Made in 2012: Doesn't count because of Cars Land.

Any Mistake Made in 2013:
    These mistakes count because of STARBUCKS!

Any questions? Feel free to print this out and post it on your fridge for future reference.
    AWESOME, AWESOME POST!!! The same is true for why Disney can't come up with "original rides." Even though the original Disneyland was largely patterned after movies or TV shows (Adventureland after True-Life Adventures, Frontierland after Davy Crockett, and Fantasyland after their animated features).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

To start, I will say that I had no place in my heart that was specially reserved for Market House. It was a nice place, but I didn't go in there very often. I don't think coffee, so that rules it out even now, but this makes me wish I did because I think it looks quite nice, a good blend of old and new and the book rest seems like a really nice place to spend some time.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Oh man i thought the same thing. the modern pics really stand out, but other than that, it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Care to point out some of these little details?

i'm not going to point out the obvious detail of the space as you can plainly see them in the pictures and are vaguely mentioned in the original post. If the detail is not to your liking I can't really help with that.

I actually think it looks really good. For everyone complaining, at least they didnt make it look like a regular starbucks

• Sock Puppet

I think it looks really nice and I personally will be in there far more often now. Definitely a positive change for overall guest experience IMHO.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    I actually think it looks really good. For everyone complaining, at least they didnt make it look like a regular starbucks
    this

• Sock Puppet

I will point out some of these details. How about the lattice work, the lighting and the acorn finials to start. Need any more help with recognizing period decoration just let me know and I would be happy to point it out for you.

• Ambassador of good will

Sure seems like a lot of nitpicking for a Coffee establishment.
    I guess it's true, that you can't satisfy everyone.
    "Raiders Suck"
    -Walt Disney

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    You do realize they could have bought custom refrigerators to make them more thematically appropriate right?
    The problem is that a vintage refrigerator would not be able to display product in as visual a way. Much the way a hand-crank cash register would be impractical, so would such a refrigerator.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
    Disney should just have the one at Downtown Disney and get rid of the two in both theme parks...they're not needed. (sigh)
    Yes, they very much are.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post

Yes, they very much are.
    No, they're not.

I assure you, it's very possible to enjoy a theme park without coffee, let alone Starbucks.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast