Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Starbucks finally opens on Main Street U.S.A. at Disneyland Park

This morning Starbucks finally made its debut on Disneyland Park's Main Street U.S.A. It was argued by some that the arrival of the coffee giant was was sure to kill any feeling of home town charm in favor of the mighty dollar. Is this true? Does the space feel more like a Walt Disney World shop than something that is more at home in Walt Disney's original park? Let's take a look and you let me know what you think.

INSIDE
    As we enter the corner door, we are immediately confronted with a confusing configuration of queue lines. Of course, a smiling cast member was there to direct customers, but still it gave me a bit of pause. Basically, the counters have been constructed at the far corner, directly opposite the entry. You can choose to go the left or right of the cooling case that shelves the bottle water and fresh fruit as you make your way to the counter.

Some of the little touches remain. Although the seem shoved to the far periphery in favor of making more room for the massive crowds that are certain to descend on this location.

The checkerboard sits at a wall to the right of the entrance.

The several party lines along the walls were not working the day of opening.

This is the only indoor bit of seating in the main Market House floor.

The good news: there were plenty of outlets for guest to use, situated at key places near tables.

The Book Rest
    The old Disneyana entry room is now indoor dining for Starbucks. You can no longer enter from the street. You must enter through the front, corner door of the Market House. Festooned with old books stacked on shelves of dark stained wood, it is certainly a cozy spot. Dark and intimate, it seems like it will be the perfect place to people watch while sipping a latte.

The walls feature references to Peter Pan and other sources of material that Disney has mined for inspiration. It is here that the potbelly stove was relocated, serving as an anchor to those little touches from the previous market house.

There seemed to be a run on Red Oliver Twist books as you can spot several on the shelves.

So do you plan on visiting Starbucks on Main Street? The space is certainly designed to process the masses, but it does seem to retain much of the charm of the old Market House. In fact, with the expanded space of the Book Rest, it might actually be a better use of the facility than before. Those are just our thoughts, what are yours?

Last edited by Fishbulb; 09-25-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• The doctor is in

Re: Starbucks finally opens on Main Street U.S.A. at Disneyland Park

I don't support Starbucks in general, but I also don't drink coffee. I think it looks as expected and I'm sure it will make money. At least the CM's aren't in typical Barista uniforms and kept the Main Street attire.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

The main serving area looks very modern and definitely needs to be tweaked. With that said, the dining area has a more aged look and seems to fit the bill.

• -

It looks great. I can't wait to have my first bit of caffeine from here as I exit the Halloween party on Friday.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

Ugh. It looks terrible. Seriously, they should remove the name "Market House" altogether. It's now a Starbucks. It looks absolutely nothing like a "Market House."

How sad...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thanks, Fishy for posting pics. I waited until now to post my reaction to the news.

It looks like a modern Starbucks, the lines built in, the layout, the setup, the glass cases.

This could have been an authentic coffee house hosted by Starbucks. It's not. It's a regular Starbucks with a few leftover artifacts from the days of Market House.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Ugh. It looks terrible. Seriously, they should remove the name "Market House" altogether. It's now a Starbucks.

How sad...
    We are in total agreement on this one.

Looks nice.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Ugh. It looks terrible. Seriously, they should remove the name "Market House" altogether. It's now a Starbucks. It looks absolutely nothing like a "Market House."

How sad...
    It just doesn't feel like anything is hand crafted and the use of modern refrigerators to display merchandise seems inappropriate.

• Closed Account

From what I understand, some Imagineer recently stumbled on the original concept art that Walt approved in 1955 in the Disney Archives, and this is actually how it was supposed to look like.

/sarcasm off

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    the use of modern refrigerators to display merchandise seems inappropriate.
    How inappropriate to display cold merchandise in a cold case. These should have all been left out on a hand built shelf outside of refrigeration.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

Way to use a 1928 book cover in a "Victorian" Main Street. There's thematic consistency for ya.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    How inappropriate to display cold merchandise in a cold case. These should have all been left out on a hand built shelf outside of refrigeration.
    You do realize they could have bought custom refrigerators to make them more thematically appropriate right? It wasn't a requirement for them to take a fully modern device and plop it right in the middle of the store. Absolutely nothing in this Starbucks looks handcrafted and as a result feels ultra modern regardless of the mild attempt to disguise it.

• Minion

I'll wait to see it in person, but from the photos I'm disappointed. I'm not against Starbucks being in the parks at all, I think it works very well in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe, but this just looks like a loosely themed Starbucks to me.

• Closed Account

The entire interior evokes absolutely nothing of the Victorian era, and quite possibly was designed for free by a college interior design student on an internship.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast