Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: The New Market House...

Would anyone like to locate that awesome siren decorative plate for me? I love it!!

*Courtesy of MintCrocodile

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Ghiradelli chocolates and Boudin breads are in every supermarket.

So yes, you could get their products off of every off ramp

There are more of those than there are In & Out restaurants

I don't understand why 'availability' is a hindrance?

Should Disney sell no product that's available 'on the outside'?
    Finding stuff in a supermarket is one thing, finding an actual franchised location is another.
    Everything food wise in Disneyland you can find in a supermarket, not talking supermarkets here but actual locations.

Without Googling, tell me where is the nearest Boudin Bakery LOCATION to you?

Oh, and your supermarket with the Ghiradelli's chocolate, do they make actual sundaes there? Didn't think so.
    Last edited by Disneymike; 10-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Oh Wren, Wren, Wren......Finding stuff in a supermarket is one thing, finding an actual franchised location is another.
    Everything food wise in Disneyland you can find in a supermarket, not talking supermarkets here but actual locations.

Oh, and your supermarket with the Ghiradelli's chocolate, do they make actual sundaes there? Didn't think so.
    They're two locations that offer products that are 'outside' of the Disney sphere of influence.

I dont see how In and Out offering their product at franchised resturants is any different than Ghiradelli and Boudin offering their products at supermarkets?

They're both real world products that are offered at places outside of Disney exclusively. Be it a licensed franchise or a licensed distributor of another type.

The fact that an actual Ghirradeli store offers ice cream as well is irrelevant as their primary product is chocolate, just as Boudin's is bread and In and Out is burgers.

Proximity to my actual physical location is also irrelevant, but the supermarket with Boudin and Ghiradelli products is much closer to me than the In & Out is.

But if you must know, without googling, the nearest Boudin Bakery to me is DCA

Though I'm not clear what your argument is, its just as easy for me to get In & Out in real life as it is to get Ghiradelli or Boudin products. Is it because In & Out isnt as "sophisticated"? Is there some arbitrary criteria of what's allowed and what's not that I'm unaware of?
    Last edited by Wren; 10-02-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

The point about all the franchise stuff being in the parks is that it makes the parks feel less special.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    The point about all the franchise stuff being in the parks is that it makes the parks feel less special.
    The park opened with many franchises and sponsorships within the park.

Though their existence or what company they are doesn't make it less special to my personal taste /shrug
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Less special, and more like a mall. A mall that you pay to get into.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Less special, and more like a mall. A mall that you pay to get into.
    Coke, Aunt Jemima, Kodak, Frito Lay etc.

Those remind me of a mall as well, though no one claims that Disneyland felt like a 'mall' or had too much outside intrusion 'back in the day'?

Though in the defense of the mall, usually its stores dont all offer the same products as every other store.

But thats more of a dig at Disney merchandising if anything, haha
    -Dr. Strange

Finding stuff in a supermarket is one thing, finding an actual franchised location is another.

There's actually a Boudin Bakery 5 minutes from my office in Irvine. That being said, the only other ones I've ever noticed are in San Fran.

They're two locations that offer products that are 'outside' of the Disney sphere of influence.

I dont see how In and Out offering their product at franchised resturants is any different than Ghiradelli and Boudin offering their products at supermarkets?

They're both real world products that are offered at places outside of Disney exclusively. Be it a licensed franchise or a licensed distributor of another type.

The fact that an actual Ghirradeli store offers ice cream as well is irrelevant as their primary product is chocolate, just as Boudin's is bread and In and Out is burgers.

Proximity to my actual physical location is also irrelevant, but the supermarket with Boudin and Ghiradelli products is much closer to me than the In & Out is.

But if you must know, without googling, the nearest Boudin Bakery to me is DCA

Though I'm not clear what your argument is, its just as easy for me to get In & Out in real life as it is to get Ghiradelli or Boudin products. Is it because In & Out isnt as "sophisticated"? Is there some arbitrary criteria of what's allowed and what's not that I'm unaware of?
    My argument is that it sounds like you are perfectly fine with filling Disneyland up with run of the mill franchises without any care as to the long term repercussions to the park.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

My argument is that it sounds like you are perfectly fine with filling Disneyland up with run of the mill franchises without any care as to the long term repercussions to the park.
    I'm not, but thank you for putting words in my mouth.
    -Dr. Strange

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, I think part of that goes back to DCA being a VERY weak theme. Why do you need to go to a park about California when you are IN California? However, since we do have a park that is about California, then it probably should have some California specific things in it. Boudin Bakery is something that is identified with San Francisco / Monterey, Robert Mondavi (for the 1 year he had a restaurant there) is identified with Napa, and In N Out is identified with Southern California. What I was actually of thinking was something similar to the Rainforest Cafe setup at Animal Kingdom where you can enter the restaurant from either inside the park or from outside the park so that you don't have to have a ticket to DCA to dine there. I've mentioned this in the past, that it would probably have to be the World's Largest In N Out to accommodate everyone. I was thinking of probably a 2-story building where park guests eat on one level and Downtown Disney guests eat on the other level. It probably would have been right next door to the Jazz Kitchen and taken up all of the retail space between that and the courtyard with the Uva bar on the Downtown Disney side, and then it would have opened to the old Dinosaur shop on DCA next to Sky School.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I'm not, but thank you for putting words in my mouth.
    Sorry, not trying to sound that way but you haven't convinced me otherwise.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Sorry, not trying to sound that way but you haven't convinced me otherwise.
    I'm not here to convince you of anything, I'm just trying to answer a question for myself why some outside products, sponsors, franchises are considered 'ok' while some are not.
    -Dr. Strange

I'm not here to convince you of anything, I'm just trying to answer a question for myself why some outside products, sponsors, franchises are considered 'ok' while some are not.
    Ok, think of it this way - unique vs ordinary. Would you consider In and Out unique or ordinary?

• Minion

Ok, think of it this way - unique vs ordinary. Would you consider In and Out unique or ordinary?
    Would you consider Coca Cola unique or ordinary?

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast