Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: The New Market House...

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I'm sure others would disagree, but my fantasy California would have an In N Out, its what a hamburger's all about.
    Mine would have two!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Former Churro Jockey

We're already way off topic here so I'll share a funny story that happened to me when I was working there. In 1998 the Plaza Inn was closed for 10 months, and that meant that the cast member restaurant connected to it was closed as well. To make up for it, Disney brought in an In N Out truck for the cast members (and charged us higher prices then a regular In N Out too, but I digress...). It was parked behind the lockers. So one day I'm walking past the lockers, and a guest stops me and asked me if there's an In N Out in the park. I told him that no, there wasn't, and he said that he swore he could smell a Double Double! I felt bad for him and told him the truth just so he knew he wasn't crazy.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I'm going to try to take what you wrote at face value here.

Are you essentially saying *any* sponsorship is not to be allowed simply because it exists in the marketplace? I had thought previously you were arguing that it should have a connection to the park theme.
    I'm sorry, where did I say that any sponsorship is not allowed because it exists in the marketplace? I think it's great that Boudin and Ghiradelli's are in DCA. Why? Because I can't get that just any 'ol where. I could care less if it had a "connection" to the park "theme" as long as it was something I couldn't get in the general vicinity of which, In and Out burger I can get. And if it wasn't some oddball thing like Swedish meatballs in Critter Country. But that's just me.

And yes, we are way off topic.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    We're already way off topic here so I'll share a funny story that happened to me when I was working there. In 1998 the Plaza Inn was closed for 10 months, and that meant that the cast member restaurant connected to it was closed as well. To make up for it, Disney brought in an In N Out truck for the cast members (and charged us higher prices then a regular In N Out too, but I digress...). It was parked behind the lockers. So one day I'm walking past the lockers, and a guest stops me and asked me if there's an In N Out in the park. I told him that no, there wasn't, and he said that he swore he could smell a Double Double! I felt bad for him and told him the truth just so he knew he wasn't crazy.
    Did you tell him there was one on Brookhurst?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

I'm sure others would disagree, but my fantasy California would have an In N Out, its what a hamburger's all about.

I'm trying to be neutral on it. I'm not a fan.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Agree! Ariel's Undersea Adventure does not look like a $100M ride to me, but it's cute. The end of the ride looks rushed to me.

Let's not even mention all of the ticket/ap price increases in the last 24 months. Oh darn, I just did.

I think they mean a ride SYSTEM that had already been created/known. Not the actual ride itself. Meaning the ride technology already existed and was copied.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The park opened with many franchises and sponsorships within the park.

Though their existence or what company they are doesn't make it less special to my personal taste /shrug
    Coke, Aunt Jemima, Kodak, Frito Lay etc.

Those remind me of a mall as well, though no one claims that Disneyland felt like a 'mall' or had too much outside intrusion 'back in the day'?

Though in the defense of the mall, usually its stores dont all offer the same products as every other store.

But thats more of a dig at Disney merchandising if anything, haha
    It is about how this is accomplished. Yes, there were times when a big name like Kodak was able to push some weight and have a very contemporary store. but, by and large companies committed to the vision of Main Street, USA as a place over it as a mall. Swift could have made the Market House far more efficient at advertising and selling their products, but Disneya no the sponsors understood that Main Street, USA came first. The Market House hosted by Starbucks firstly makes no sense. Why is a coffee shop pretending to be a general store? Or is it contemporary adaptive reuse? Second, it is a modern design overlaid with aesthetics. It's not how a coffee shop appropriate to the theme would be laid out or experienced. The store as it now exists, with a few minor changes can efficiently and easily be "themed" to anything. It's like a microwave I saw recently with different face plates one can change. Same microwave, slightly different colored door and easy to make it "different."

hey n downtown Disney they are putting in a Starbucks. So that will be three for Disneyland Resort

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    So they should just keep the bad food...cause you can;t get the bad food anywhere else? I'm way more about Quality over something being "special" I just want good food..I don't care who makes the food
    You can get good food without converting to a brand. Good food is based on the raw materials used. Anyone can go out and buy ingredients and create outstanding meals. Good coffee is NOT limited to specific brand locations. Every location in the park could sell great coffee if they purchased great coffee ingredients.

Quality can be achieved by Disney. They USED to do it all the time. Those who are willing to accept Disney just outsourcing quality will eventually be responsible when the parks actually end up being malls you pay to get into.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    You can get good food without converting to a brand. Good food is based on the raw materials used. Anyone can go out and buy ingredients and create outstanding meals. Good coffee is NOT limited to specific brand locations. Every location in the park could sell great coffee if they purchased great coffee ingredients.

Quality can be achieved by Disney. They USED to do it all the time. Those who are willing to accept Disney just outsourcing quality will eventually be responsible when the parks actually end up being malls you pay to get into.
    You make a very valid point. Non-branded foods are great if they are prepared with great quality, but unfortunately in recent times the food in general has not been this way. The reason why I am satisfied with a brand like Starbucks is that it improved off the coffee from Nescafe. In times of desperation for better quality food/drinks, we tend to want better by any means, even if it is through brands. We have had crappy food (imo) in the parks for long enough that any form of an improvement is acceptable. If Disney can cook good quality meals, then that's awesome. But until Disney gets its act together, I will tolerate brands that improve upon what was there previously.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    You make a very valid point. Non-branded foods are great if they are prepared with great quality, but unfortunately in recent times the food in general has not been this way. The reason why I am satisfied with a brand like Starbucks is that it improved off the coffee from Nescafe. In times of desperation for better quality food/drinks, we tend to want better by any means, even if it is through brands. We have had crappy food (imo) in the parks for long enough that any form of an improvement is acceptable. If Disney can cook good quality meals, then that's awesome. But until Disney gets its act together, I will tolerate brands that improve upon what was there previously.
    Sad but true. I think one of the reasons people gravitate toward the name brands at Disneyland and other parks is because they anticipate or already know the house food is of poor quality, or isn't worth the gamble. If someone buys a Subway sandwich or a cup of Starbucks Coffee at least they have an idea of what it's going to taste like and the quality level of the product.

I'd love to see Disney work on improving the overall quality of its food so they don't have to bring in the strip mall franchises. Experience should show them that when their food is good (for instance the Mickey pancakes or Dole Whips), guests WILL flock to it.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-04-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I'd love to see Disney work on improving the overall quality of its food so they don't have to bring in the strip mall franchises. Experience should show them that when their food is good (for instance the Mickey pancakes or Dole Whips), guests WILL flock to it.
    I think Disney has been doing that over the past decade or so. I can tell you that the food today compared to when I worked there is overall much, much better. The burgers have improved significantly (which wasn't hard, they were really bad before), New Orleans Square in particular has nothing but awesome restaurants, Main St now has some really amazing restaurants as well, Village Haus is supposed to be better, and overall the menus have gotten healthier and they are offering better alternatives for people with dietary restrictions. They still have a ways to go (in particular, Rancho del Zocalo and Pizza Port are the two poorest restaurants in the park in my opinion), but I'm happy (and sort of shocked, to be honest, since they made plenty of money on the crappy food and didn't need to change) to see the progress they've made so far.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

The food is definitely much improved lately. I agree.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast