Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: The New Market House...

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I don't see why they couldn't have just switched over resort coffee brands from Nescafe to Starbucks instead of actually implementing a Starbucks store within the parks. I see that it's a money factor, and that's about all I see. There are smart ways to rope in the cash, and then there are less savvy ways and I'm sorry but sacrificing theme for money should never be the answer.
    This. Better coffee could have been had without turning the Main Street Market into a mall store with faux "old timey" decor. But then, Disney wouldn't have been able to profit from the trendy Starbucks brand. Sadly, today's Disney Corp continues to demonstrate that when they smell a chance to squeeze more cash out of the park, theme is the first thing to get booted over the berm, and branding is the first thing to replace it.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-07-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    This. Better coffee could have been had without turning the Main Street Market into a mall store with faux "old timey" decor. But then, Disney wouldn't have been able to profit from the trendy Starbucks brand.
    The Starbucks brand is 42 years old, has been aggressively promoting the coffee culture for about 30 years and has been a public company for over 20. How old does it have to be to no longer be considered trendy?

And Disneyland is a study in faux decor. The trick has always been that they do it really well. The new Market House is different from the old one and its aesthetics are different, but no less affected by modern demands than the entire opposite side of Main Street with all of the new queues over there. I appreciate that the theming might feel inferior to some folks, but it seems like it's the same sort of thing that Disney has always done: adapt the parks to the demand.

•   
    • Minion

Well I got to see it yesterday. I think it's awful. I'm ok with Starbucks the coffee being served but the whole place seemed like a overcrowded coffee house no small time feel. It will definitely serve Disney well for what matters to them.

• Fastest Man Alive

I would like to point out I think it's cool that the modern registers are housed in those old timey looking shells. Wish they'd change all the registers to look that way on Main Street.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    OK, question for you then - how long (months? years?) would it be acceptable to wait for word of mouth to spread that the coffee is OK where it would be likely that the store would run at a loss?

Or if you advertise, how long are you willing to wait for a new ride, major refurbs and such so that the budget can be spent on the unplanned advertising necessary to alert the crowd of locals who knew the previous incarnation and would not willingly buy MH coffee because of it?

MH had a problem. They had low useage as a store space and what space they had became unusable and gridlocked with minimal queuing for the registers. The interior was going to be remodeled for better sales flow the moment they opted to keep it as a store rather than redoing the space as an interactive character experience.
    It would have taken a few weeks for the word to get around, especially if they promoted it. And it would have gotten a lot more POSITIVE word of mouth than the current outlet has been getting. Of course, they should have promoted Starbucks coffee as being the official Disneyland coffee and, as it would be available in every food establishment in the park, there wouldn't be any significant impact on the Market House.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv View Post
    I hate to resort to "you wouldn't understand" here, but coffee beverages are far beyond "trendy" now. They might have been mere trend earlier, but now they are a part of the fabric of modern society. Yes, there are the outrageous "venti-triple-half-caff-skim-strawberry-machiatto" type of trendy orders, but Starbucks is everywhere because there is regular demand for their products: the more normal lattes and lighter coffees that modern palates prefer are a staple now.

Starbucks began a concerted effort to import and Americanize the coffee culture of places like Italy in 1983. That's thirty years. It's not a flash in the pan and it's not about trend anymore.
    Main Street is NOT intended to be "part of the fabric of modern society".

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    It would have taken a few weeks for the word to get around, especially if they promoted it. And it would have gotten a lot more POSITIVE word of mouth than the current outlet has been getting. Of course, they should have promoted Starbucks coffee as being the official Disneyland coffee and, as it would be available in every food establishment in the park, there wouldn't be any significant impact on the Market House.
    There would have been an effect regardless of who took over or how - the MH was not designed to handle anything more than a modest crowd, and more than a few people in line resulted in the store being gridlocked. Any attempt to increase traffic to the store would have needed to address that fairly major issue first, regardless of sponsorship. If it were converted to a non-retail "themed experience" of a general store, you could possibly get away with it. Realistically though, to continue as a store a remodel was needed.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Neither is it intended to be an exact replica of a turn of the century town
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Main Street has air conditioning. That's part of the fabric of modern society too. There's a point at which anachronism has to give way to modern demands. It's clear from this discussion that many think that coffee culture isn't one of those things, but it's also clear that Disney (and many others) think that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    It WAS intended to be an approximate replica of a turn of the century town, which does NOT include trendy aspects of modern society.

Also, just noticed that Starbucks is now being installed in Universal parks in Florida.

Main Street has air conditioning. That's part of the fabric of modern society too. There's a point at which anachronism has to give way to modern demands. It's clear from this discussion that many think that coffee culture isn't one of those things, but it's also clear that Disney (and many others) think that it is.
    The air conditioning on Main Street doesn't impact the design intent. Most of the modern elements incorporated in the buildings there were designed to be hidden or as minimally noticeable as possible.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    this

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    It WAS intended to be an approximate replica of a turn of the century town, which does NOT include trendy aspects of modern society.
    As I noted above, Starbucks has been around for 42 years, on a mission to import the coffee culture for almost 30, and a public company for 20. When does it stop becoming trendy?

For that matter, Disneyland itself is less than 60 years old: is it still trendy?

I appreciate that the changes to the Market House were more drastic than some of the other changes that have happened on Main Street, but there's a demand for this type of beverage and Disney changed the MH from one stylized replica to another in order to accommodate that demand with the best brand on the market. They kept the party lines, they kept the checkers, they kept the stove. They opened the space so that the lines aren't going to be continually spilling out onto Main Street. It's not the same as it used to be, but it is going to make a lot of people who come to Disneyland happy since they can now have their favorite beverage in their favorite place in the world.

• Minion

As I noted above, Starbucks has been around for 42 years, on a mission to import the coffee culture for almost 30, and a public company for 20. When does it stop becoming trendy?
    Seems to me that 42 years doesn't put Starbucks in the realm of a turn of the century town. And, until the trend dies out (which Starbucks will be fighting) it still remains a trend. And getting put into Disneyland only reinforces that.

I didn't find the original market house to be very special. It was filled with shelves of generic disney merchandise that could be found in the emporium or world of disney. It had crappy coffee to boot. Not that special. The new referb looks great to me.