Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast

• I love my family!

Re: The New Market House...

"Fabric of modern society"?

Isn't Main Street USA basically a massive Disney store full of light up, glow in the dark and battery operated made in some third world country "modern" gadgets and gizmos to begin with?

Disney the global giant itself is part of the "Fabric of modern society" so adding Starbucks is no more blasphemous than selling that remote control monorail across the street.

If you want to argue the seating issue or the barren feel of the store then fine, but the modern nature of the brand is simply not relevant.

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    I didn't find the original market house to be very special. It was filled with shelves of generic disney merchandise that could be found in the emporium or world of disney. It had crappy coffee to boot. Not that special. The new referb looks great to me.
    I have to agree. Loved playing with the phones and looking around every once in while though, glad they kept the few things I remember.
    All new things are crowded when they just open as well so lets give it some time and hope for that or better solutions soon.

• Another turkey leg please

I was expecting Starbucks signage and logos everywhere but that is not the case. I still would have preferred that they give the business to a local southern California roaster, but Starbucks obviously has a formula for handling volume and the presence of their coffee will make many people happy. I personally don't like Starbucks' coffee or having them in the park, but judging by the lines, I am in the minority. Walt's not around anymore to protect his vision of Main Street, and anything run by committee is going to be full of compromises. Still, in the big picture, this has zero effect on my enjoyment of Disneyland as a whole.

On a side note, the Nescafe is as awful as ever. I'm stupid enough to try it every time I go.

• Unhelpful User

Do people realize that there is actually less blatant corporate sponsorship today in Disneyland than there was when Walt was alive? If you think Starbucks is bad just think we still could have McDonalds' in the parks. Bring MSUSA's soul back and reopen the bra and smoke shop.

• Another turkey leg please

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilkinson View Post
    Do people realize that there is actually less blatant corporate sponsorship today in Disneyland than there was when Walt was alive? If you think Starbucks is bad just think we still could have McDonalds' in the parks. Bring MSUSA's soul back and reopen the bra and smoke shop.
    It's funny to think back when the Bell (AT&T) and Monsanto logos greeted you as you walked into Tomorrowland. Goodyear's logo was all over the PeopleMover. The list goes on.

• Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
    Isn't Main Street USA basically a massive Disney store full of light up, glow in the dark and battery operated made in some third world country "modern" gadgets and gizmos to begin with?

Disney the global giant itself is part of the "Fabric of modern society" so adding Starbucks is no more blasphemous than selling that remote control monorail across the street.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilkinson
    Do people realize that there is actually less blatant corporate sponsorship today in Disneyland than there was when Walt was alive?

Thank you and thank you!

I think we should all take a moment to stop and realize that this is The Walt Disney Company we are discussing.

• I'm not really here

Do people realize that there is actually less blatant corporate sponsorship today in Disneyland than there was when Walt was alive?
    Every time I bring that up, I get yelled at that it was okay, because Walt did it. As if that justifies a double standard.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Indiana Scott

I do realize that but keep in mind that Walt wouldn't have used them if money was no object. Walt needed the cash infusion.
    At any rate, having had them since the beginning doesn't make it anymore palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    At any rate, having had them since the beginning doesn't make it anymore palatable.

Yeah, this.

While I will now say the Starbucks on Main Street isn't as horrid as I'd expected, it's still a Starbucks in the middle of what should be a fantasy Main Street. It's definitely sanitized as far as atmosphere, as compared to the Market House before.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post

Yeah, this.

While I will now say the Starbucks on Main Street isn't as horrid as I'd expected, it's still a Starbucks in the middle of what should be a fantasy Main Street. It's definitely sanitized as far as atmosphere, as compared to the Market House before.
    Amen.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Every time I bring that up, I get yelled at that it was okay, because Walt did it. As if that justifies a double standard.
    The context of the situations has changed far more than just that. A good many of the original sponsors were placed in appropriate scenarios. The sponsors were also a very real financial necessity and compromises were clearly allowed for the sake of the bigger picture. Sponsors are not longer needed and have not been for some time. Different solutions to different scenarios is not a double standard.

• Go Bears!

I don't really understand the dramatically nostalgic feelings people seem to have for the Market House. Wasn't it just a tiny clunky space with free Nescafe refills and $20 Mickey ears? I remember barrels and an old telephone. So authentic!

The old Market House was clumsily squished into its space on Main Street East and awkwardly run by DLR's Merchandise department. It was also a logistical crowd control nightmare. The new Market House is an upgrade in coffee quality and use-of-space, and I am equally indifferent to the décor.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    I do realize that but keep in mind that Walt wouldn't have used them if money was no object. Walt needed the cash infusion.
    Since when did money become no object? And I doubt Walt really needed Sunkist to sell orange juice. But I understand that people are upset because it's Starbucks and since they are so ubiquitous it's not very special. On one hand it's just coffee, on the other it's coffee! And people who like coffee will have a much better park experience if they can get decent cup of coffee. If you are not really a coffee drinker you wouldn't understand. Sure they could have contracted with a small local (with even better) coffee provider but for a lot of reasons it makes a lot more since to do so with a well-known international chain. I think they managed to strike a good balance between the requirements needed to accommodate the crowds and design that fits into Main Street.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Sponsors are not longer needed and have not been for some time. Different solutions to different scenarios is not a double standard.
    Disney is not made of money. They do still have budgetary limitations placed on them and they do still take on sponsors for that very reason.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by rwalterk View Post
    It's funny to think back when the Bell (AT&T) and Monsanto logos greeted you as you walked into Tomorrowland. Goodyear's logo was all over the PeopleMover. The list goes on.
    It isn't the logos that are the (major) issue. It's the effect the modifications to the facility has on the overall essence of the land. Those Tomorrowland sponsors had attractions that enhanced the land.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast